Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone regretted getting rid of their bath

(54 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:10:17

My friend has recently moved 6M ago, and they bought a bungalow but it has a large double walk in shower which she says is great, but after a busy day at work she says she misses her bath so much! I really miss having a good soak she moans! Anyone else regretting no bath

Franbern Mon 01-Feb-21 11:31:38

There are so very many aids for helping people get into and out of baths safely. Sad when people say they have been unable to use their bath for years - when that could be so quickly sorted out. When I had my bathroom re-done, I did have a lower than average bath installed (cannot see the difference in looking at it), and have a tall safety handle clamped at the end I get out. This can easily be removed, but is firm and gives me support, not just for the bath, but if any of my guests need to use it to climb into the bath for the shower.

HurdyGurdy Mon 01-Feb-21 11:37:45

No . Not a single regret. In 25 years living here, the only person to have a bath was the dog. We are all shower people.

Except my grandson, who hates showers and getting water on his face (autistic) so when he comes to visit, we have an inflatable paddling pool in the shower for him.

I never really "got" baths. The idea of lying in dirty water has no appeal grin

Tweedle24 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:11:02

Feanbern Whilst that is true in many cases, some disabilities preclude even that. My husband’s Parkinsons made it impossible for him to get in and out of the bath, even with grab rails and a bath seat.

We contacted Age U.K. for advice, thinking that one of those baths with a door at the side might do. The advisor was an Occupational Therapist and he would not recommend them. I am so pleased we had the walk in shower. As his condition deteriorated, he could, with a little help get into the walk-in shower and sit on the fold-down seat. There are shower curtains and doors that reach approximately to my waist. It meant I could shower him without getting wet myself.

After my knee replacement I felt much safer in his shower, with the seat, than the one in the en-suite which has quite a high step into it.