Gransnet forums

House and home

drying washing

(64 Posts)
busybee6969 Wed 19-May-21 22:40:13

moving soon , always had a washing line outside,none at new house,what are the whirly round ones like ,never had one,or shall i put a couple of hooks up and tie a washing line up,

Caleo Sat 26-Jun-21 10:07:29

I walked into my whirly washing lines and get an awful bash on the head. I much prefer straight washing lines and have three of them tied to trees and fences.

Blossoming Wed 14-Jul-21 14:40:42

We have a small garden with a large pond, a workshop and a greenhouse so hanging space is limited. Also my various impairments and compact (not short nonono) height make pegging things out a trial. Mr. b has a habit of boobytrapping the garden with heavy parts and various tools for me to trip over. I can’t remember who in GN recommended this to me, I bought a folding 4-arm dryer and it’s perfect for me. It’s just above waist height when opened and it folds up and goes into a storage bag when not in use. Mr. B has to open and close it for me as I can’t manage it one-handed. It goes out on the patio and dries a full weekly wash.

Infinity2 Wed 14-Jul-21 15:45:28

I use two clothes airers I bought from Argos. I haven’t got anything high to tie a clothes line to, so had no choice. I use one for bedding and towels and the other for my clothes. Everything dries really quickly on them outside, and if it’s raining or wintry I can stand them indoors as well. If it’s windy I put pegs on them so my pants don’t blow away.

M0nica Wed 14-Jul-21 16:13:28

Never had anything else, It is nice and near the utility room door and hidden away. In our last house we would shut it down and get it out of the way if visitors came and we were all outside.

However do have it set in concrete in the right sized hole. All aternatives fail far too soon, if they work atall and the rotary dryer wobbles.

Franbern Wed 14-Jul-21 18:28:26

When I was small, used to visit my g.parents who lived in a very large shared house. Their main Living Room was a very large one at the rear of the house - (2nd floor). They had a washing line from the window there which ran across that long garden with a system which meant my G.Ma could sit at the wndow, pegging clothes onto that line, then pushing it away from her to bring a clear spot for next item to be pegged out. All done in reverse to bring the dry washing in. It was magical to me then, can imagine how difficult it must hve been to use, so slow and trying to bring washing in quickly when it rained must have been a nightmare.

Whiff Wed 14-Jul-21 18:34:12

I used to have a rotary airer in my old garden. But here I have a line which I attach to 2 hooks. I only put it up when I use it. Which I prefer. Also the clothes dry better.

welbeck Wed 14-Jul-21 18:35:50

oh i loved to see those, glimpsed up from the side of old large divided houses.
it looked like sails on a ship's rigging.
i thought it very romantic and exciting.
never had to deal with the practical aspects. everything is wonderful to a child. so long ago. yet fondly remembered.

Mollygo Wed 14-Jul-21 22:14:27

A 4 side rotary is great. Takes two lots of washing or bedding and towels. It folds down and I’d covered when not in use. Ours isn’t set in concrete but is OK.

DillytheGardener Wed 14-Jul-21 22:21:26

Mine just died a death by my dogs chewing on it while it was folded down (rotary) so watching to see what others recommend.

welbeck Wed 14-Jul-21 22:26:46

you can buy the cord to wind it around again.
it's a good design.
also get a cover to protect when folded down.
less likely to be chewed maybe ?

Lin52 Wed 14-Jul-21 22:29:05

Have always had washing line, after this one snapped, I spoke to my neighbour who has a rotary dryer, maybe looking to change to one, and says she’s very envious of my line, and wishes she had room for one, as her dryer doesn’t always let all dry. A new line brought for me. Still each to their own, and sometimes not enough room for a line.

Coolgran65 Wed 14-Jul-21 22:30:29

I’ve never had a rotary just a long line. One very tall metal pole cemented in at the end of the garden and a fitting on the wall of the house. It’s wonderful to see bed linen blowing on a sunny breezy day like today.

My sister had rotary lines that always looked drunk.

mokryna Thu 15-Jul-21 15:49:55

What did you decide on Busybee?