Gransnet forums

House and home

drying washing

(64 Posts)
busybee6969 Wed 19-May-21 22:40:13

moving soon , always had a washing line outside,none at new house,what are the whirly round ones like ,never had one,or shall i put a couple of hooks up and tie a washing line up,

Polarbear2 Thu 20-May-21 09:44:48

Line and big prop. Love to see washing drying in the sun and breeze. Like the idea given above of a pull out line though. Must look into that!

JessK Thu 20-May-21 09:52:38

Like my rotary line and it does accommodate plenty of washing. The one thing I would recommend is to make sure it has been firmly installed in the ground otherwise it could tip or fall over. We had ours cemented in.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 20-May-21 09:56:18

I have had a rotary dryer for a long time. I have never had an issue with it falling over or moving though not set in concrete. It does stay up as I am not strong enough to put it down so that could be an issue if you are bothered about the look of it.

Grannynannywanny Thu 20-May-21 10:08:05

I had a rotary for a few years but much prefer my traditional line. I find the washing easier to hang and think it takes less time to dry than on the rotary.

JanaNana Thu 20-May-21 10:11:53

You can buy a wall mounted washing line from a company called Brabantia. When open they look a bit like a rotary washing line but do not rotate. When not in use they fold into the compact metal cabinet which is part of the structure, fixed on a wall. These are ideal if you only have a small garden or if you prefer not to have a traditional washing line or rotary.

Beechnut Thu 20-May-21 10:12:59

I know what you mean LindaPat. My much older cousin had one. We were fascinated with it when we were kids and used to peg things on it just to see them go to the other end of the garden.

henetha Thu 20-May-21 10:13:30

I love my rotary line, it's great seeing it whirl around in the wind. I can get loads of clothes on it, even big sheets etc.

muse Thu 20-May-21 10:18:35

I use a line but it's a retractable one. Mine's fixed onto the side of a shed and the hook is on a tree.

Loved it so much, it came with me when I moved house ! At the old house, it was screwed to the garage and the hook was on a garden fence post.

You can get double ones.

Shinamae Thu 20-May-21 10:23:13

Had a rotary line, soon went back to traditional much prefer it..

GagaJo Thu 20-May-21 10:24:11

Washing line. I love hanging washing out. I wouldn't be able to do it, here in Switzerland. It frequently smells too much of wood burning stoves that would permeate the laundry. But in England, I love my washing line.

EllanVannin Thu 20-May-21 10:31:38

A rotary is fine for me on my own, even for bedding as it's a wide circumference so plenty of room on it. I love it.

Shandy57 Thu 20-May-21 17:35:10

I recommend buying a good brand - I inherited one here in my new bungalow, and the 'line' is far too thin.

Franbern Thu 27-May-21 11:32:33

Back in the 1970's I purchased my very rotary dryer for the garden. Just triangular shaped. With three small children this had plenty of use. Winter as well as summer. Did have a very small tumble dryer but really could not afford to run it.

A year after I bought it, one of the arms collapsed. With great indignation I contacted the compant from who I had purchased it, and was totally taken aback when the reply from them was that it was not under guarantee as I had left it ouside all of the time!!!!
Okay, with the ones I have used in the past few years I always put a cover on it after use and took them down and put away during winter. But, back them there were no covers available and I needed it all year.

Rather along the lines of the plumber who told me that the rreason one of my loos was blocked, was that I had 'probably been using he wrong sort of toiler paper'!!!

Nandalot Thu 27-May-21 12:31:03

When I moved to this house, I insisted on a washing line as my previous rotary airer did not seem very efficient. However, after 30 years of getting my feet wet on dewy grass I decided to go back to a rotary. This time I was able to afford a good quality four arm dryer. It is great. It seems to dry the clothes as efficiently if not better than before and as I can stand on the patio no more wet feet!

B9exchange Thu 27-May-21 12:37:21

Oh dear, I told DH when we got married that there would be no children unless I got a tumble dryer, and virtually everything goes in that, unless has to be dried flat, which I do indoors unless it is really sunny. I save electricity in other ways, but for me life is too short to be pegging clothes out and removing them and wondering it if is going to rain. All power to those that enjoy it!

silverlining48 Thu 27-May-21 12:42:42

It’s a lovely day for a change and I have just hung out my third lot of washing on my long line. The first is already dry and back indoors and the line has two loads on it and is full.
I use two props and love to see it all blowing in the breeze. I think it dries quicker too.
If I put my dd washing on her rotary, I make sure everything is evenly spaced. It’s a long time since I did that though...blooming Covid.

nadateturbe Thu 27-May-21 12:54:30

I have had both. think a washing line dries clothes quicker than a rotary.

TerriBull Thu 27-May-21 13:12:18

Yay! washing out on the rotary line today, about time too! Actual sunshine what a horribly wet May it's been.

Buffybee Thu 27-May-21 13:26:25

Another fan of the Rotary Dryer, as others have mentioned the good quality four sided ones are best, and make sure you have it set in concrete.
I find the advantage is, I can put my washing basket on a garden chair and stand in the same position as I turn the washing around towards me.
I usually fold large sheets and duvet covers in half, then turn around later.
Also they're much neater, no posts in the garden and you can remove completely and put in the garage if you want.

NotAGran55 Thu 27-May-21 14:20:21

I have the same as Muse . It’s great that is only on display whilst it is in use .
Mine is attached to the back of the house , across to a tree , through a loop and back to the other side in a V shape .

lynx Thu 27-May-21 22:32:55

Another fan of the rotary. We had a line when we moved to this bungalow but the garden is small, so about 7 foot of line! With a four arm rotary I can put out a weeks wash. Dries just as quickly. Concreted in but still removable for when we want to sit outside.

JackyB Sat 29-May-21 10:20:26

I prefer a conventional washing line but have a rotary one. I try and wash little and often so the washing is not all squashed up together but well spread out, preferably only round the outer line.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 25-Jun-21 17:11:35

I don’t like rotary ones, love my conventional line. Love to see the long line of washing blowing in the breeze

Oldbat1 Fri 25-Jun-21 20:50:50

We have rotary aka whirligig. I also have a pulley in the kitchen above the Aga which I loved ve.

Franbern Sat 26-Jun-21 08:22:53

Before I moved into my flat, I loved my four-armed rotary in the garden. Had a washing basket which had four foldable legs (Lakeside), so could take this from my utility room to stand close to rotary and two loads of washing could be pegged out without me having to do hardly any moving, or bending. Again the same when taking dry washing down. I could stand in one spot (on dry patio), and take down and fold washing into this basket without bending. Great when one has problems with mobility,

Going into a flat, everything is dried in my heat pump tumble dryer. With limited room, I changed that lovely folding leg basket for a collapsible one, which takes minimum storage space, but gives me a full-size laundry basket taking my washing from washing machine to tumble dryer.

Have not used a long line for many decades.