Gransnet forums

House and home

Has anyone tried a Roomba?

(55 Posts)
ExD Mon 14-Jun-21 15:43:41

I have a seriously bad back (broke it 2 years ago) and hoovering is really painful as anyone suffering from the condition will tell you.
I have looked at these robot vaccum things - and wondered.
They are pricey, and I'm not well off but would be willing to shell out if I thought they'd do a reasonable job. I can see they wouldn't be good with corners and edges, although these could be managed on an 'as needed' basis. But, living on a farm, I wonder how they'd cope with hay and straw?
At the moment I have a heavy upright Dyson - and I do do a lot of hoovering.
Any thoughts?

ExD Thu 24-Jun-21 16:04:07

All very interesting, thank you. I don't have £1000 spare, but a gRam or Vax cordless cost £150-ish, and don't last long - so depending on how long they keep working for, a simple robot is sounding possible.

muse Thu 24-Jun-21 17:00:58

I have heard of them but never priced one up.

Roomba have a sale on. Cheapest one is £199.99 - most expensive £1,899.98 (sweeps, cleans and empties)and that with approx 25% off. With about 15 different machines - how do you choose? I'd love one that does all three things but that's pricey.

Durga Fri 16-Jul-21 16:34:48

I’ve had one for years…the expensive model and finally gave it away. I foiled it more trouble than it was worth and no good place to keep it. I have a small townhome. Bought acBissel stick…love it.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 16:59:55

My cheapo version is lovely.
Still going strong.
Picking up enough to keep the mess down a bit.