Gransnet forums

House and home

Toilet seat covers - are they a thing of the past?

(113 Posts)
LyWa Sun 04-Jul-21 12:31:41

I have a small shower room with basin & toilet. When I have had my shower I need to sit down to dry my feet, so the obvious place is the closed toilet, but I’m finding it really difficult to buy a towelling cover as I’ve had in the past. My usual go to stores John Lewis or Dunelm, no longer seem to stock them, Amazon have a few three piece sets, but they don’t look very good quality, they are all highly patterned and I only want the toilet cover, not a whole set. What do other people do?

nanna8 Mon 05-Jul-21 14:00:22

They’re vile nasty things. Gross gross gross. Use a bath mat that is washable and can be hung over the shower when not in use. Otherwise, if you have a disability, you can get shower and bath stools to sit on .

FarNorth Mon 05-Jul-21 14:08:19

I cant understand why so many don't dry their feet, its so important to dry between your toes.

Me neither.
How do you all not have foot rot?

I remember my mother asking me, in baffled tone, why I didn't like the idea of carpet in a bathroom.
(She had moved into a rented house with bathroom carpet in situ.)

Even if no-one pees on the floor, it's a damp environment which means carpet can't be hygienic, imo.

I have 2 strong little wooden boxes/stools in the bathroom which are used for laundry and also for sitting if necessary.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 05-Jul-21 14:19:36

Can't remember when I last had a Loo seat cover!! I do as others do and sit on a towel then check it in the wash!

4allweknow Mon 05-Jul-21 15:36:58

A cotton bath mat, not microfibre or just a guest towel could suffice. Would say though you would need to be careful a flat covering didn't slip off the seat. I know the well known Swedish store sells a small bath mat with a non slip backing. Whilst the surface is microfibre it is very short and flat unlike the usual shaggy dog bath mats.

Petalpop Mon 05-Jul-21 15:58:02

Toilet seat covers - awful. On a par with those awful little mats that fit snuggly around the toilet collecting all the drops of pee. Yuk. As others have said a towel is your best solution.

Naninka Mon 05-Jul-21 16:35:46

Mops up wee-wee beautifully! Mm-mmm... just what you want in the bathroom.
I won't even have a toilet brush in my home... vile objects.
Before you ask - you could eat your dinner off my loos. (But I usually stick to plates on the dining room table.)
Seriously, have you tried Amazon?

Nanny27 Mon 05-Jul-21 16:43:45

Totally agree with the horror of loo seat covers... Ugh, but am beginning to feel a little sorry for the OP who hasn't returned and presumably wishing she'd never asked the question!

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 16:55:00

I too feel sorry for the OP. Some comments didn't sound nice.
I too don't use a seat cover but only because its an extra thing to wash and I don't like them. My husband pees in the toilet so it wouldn't be a hygiene problem. Same with a pedestal mat. Like another poster its more comfy to put your feet on in the middle of the night.
The only place I could find 3 piece sets was Wayfair. Good luck with your search LyWa

Incidentally its important to dry between toes.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 16:56:44

And what on earth is wrong with a loo brush!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 05-Jul-21 17:05:25

My late mother’s bathroom - loo sear cover, carpet round the base of the loo to catch the drops of pee to make a nice squidgy mess and finally, a scary pink doll to hide the loo paper. Grim!

Alioop Mon 05-Jul-21 17:05:45

I thought everyone would have a loo brush, how do you clean around the toilet and rim....mine sits in bleach in its holder and changed frequently. Another topic grin

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 05-Jul-21 17:06:16

Why would people not want to dry between their toes? Yuk.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 17:07:06

Hetty I often use the hairdryer to dry myself. It warms me up after showering too.

MerylStreep Mon 05-Jul-21 17:22:09

Alioop

I thought everyone would have a loo brush, how do you clean around the toilet and rim....mine sits in bleach in its holder and changed frequently. Another topic grin

Using the ‘utensil’ at the end of my arm: my hand. Everyday.

greenlady102 Mon 05-Jul-21 17:33:26

FarNorth

^I cant understand why so many don't dry their feet, its so important to dry between your toes.^

Me neither.
How do you all not have foot rot?

I remember my mother asking me, in baffled tone, why I didn't like the idea of carpet in a bathroom.
(She had moved into a rented house with bathroom carpet in situ.)

Even if no-one pees on the floor, it's a damp environment which means carpet can't be hygienic, imo.

I have 2 strong little wooden boxes/stools in the bathroom which are used for laundry and also for sitting if necessary.

never dried my feet, never had foot rot. I do wash between my toess though.

FarNorth Mon 05-Jul-21 17:38:54

Toilet brushes are a recurring topic on Mumsnet, with vehement views on either side.

Naninka Mon 05-Jul-21 18:07:51

There are plenty of ways to clean a loo without using a nasty poo-ey toilet brush! I won't bore with the many ways but everything I use is disposable!! And I can unclip my seats and lids for a deep clean - which I do once a fortnight, despite the fact that we are a scrupulously clean couple.
To OP, hope I haven't offended you but, honestly, a folded towel would suffice, I'm sure. Somebody suggested a foldable seat too, which sounded like a great idea for a small bathroom.
smile

Pedwards Mon 05-Jul-21 18:09:10

I’ve got a tea cosy, l like a proper brew with real tea leaves! ?

maddyone Mon 05-Jul-21 18:58:04

I won’t even have a toilet brush in my home…….vile objects.

I absolutely agree with this. I have never had a toilet brush, I prefer to clean the toilet the Aggie way. Was it Aggie on How Clean is your House? Anyway she used to put on the rubber gloves and scrub, and I do it the same way. Then when everything is sparkling I put toilet cleaner down and around. I clean the bathroom every day, with a very thorough clean once a week. The ceramic floor is cleaned every day too. The en suite is cleaned weekly (doesn’t get as much use) and cloakroom downstairs a couple of times a week. No toilet seat covers, or fitted things around the toilet, just cotton bath mats for when we get out of the shower or bath.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 19:03:31

Vile object...a bit OTT. A toilet brush is hygienic as long as its cleaned well.

maddyone Mon 05-Jul-21 19:05:21

I’d rather clean the toilet than a toilet brush. Short of soaking it in bleach, I don’t know how it could be properly cleaned.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 19:50:17

Our brush is always spotless. I don't know what the problem is. I just put bleach in the toilet bowl and leave it there for a while.

GreenGran78 Mon 05-Jul-21 20:41:56

Joe soap. I also had problems with drying between my toes after my hip replacement. I solved the problem with a quick blast of my hairdryer!
It’s many years since I had a cover for my loo, but if anyone wants one.....why not? In my opinion people are far too obsessed with ‘hygiene’, these days. I have always been a little happy-go-lucky about killing 99% of all household germs. At the ripe old age of almost 82 it is very rare for me to have a tummy bug or even a cold. Unless your immunity is a bit dodgy relax and smell the flowers, not the bleach!

LyWa Mon 05-Jul-21 20:47:18

Nanny27

Totally agree with the horror of loo seat covers... Ugh, but am beginning to feel a little sorry for the OP who hasn't returned and presumably wishing she'd never asked the question!

Thank you Nanny27….in fact I DID return…at the bottom of page 2
I will add another point, I use toilet brushes daily in all three of my bathrooms, and they soak in a bleach solution when not in use. The tiled floors are cleaned daily.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 22:14:38

Agree GreenGran