Gransnet forums

House and home

Converting an old shed into a nice summer house… well that’s the plan! ?

(218 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 09:54:57

I have a shed 10‘ x 10‘ and not in bad condition, I thought!I had a guy come round from a shed company to see about doing the repairs and I’m having new windows doors and a roof however he did not pick up on the rotten wood at the bottom of the shed and I rang the company and was very peeved but it is what it is and I need to carry on. On the right side of the shed there about two panels of wood that are really rotten and a few along the front as well but the rest of the shed seems to be quite good condition. It is dry lined and has electricity. Anyway first thing to do is get all the rubbish out of it and my son is coming today to take rubbish to the tip so will see how it goes and keep you informed…. As you can imagine any advice very gratefully received(As long as it’s not burn it down and start again!!!?‍♀️) And inside the shed on the side where the rotten wood is the floor is quite damp so all in all I think this is going to be quite A big job…

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 14:08:24

The rotten pieces of wood can be replaced with others, shouldn’t be a problem.Once it’s all cleaned out and the work done, you can re-paint the shed in a softer colour ( green?) if you want to or buy a large pot and plant honeysuckle or a rambling rose to climb up it, and some pretty material bunting.On the inside...it could look really great done out in white and pastels.Have fun!

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 14:21:25

Thank you Lemongrove. ….. The ugly duckling Shed hopefully transformed into a swan…..??

Philippa111 Sun 11-Jul-21 14:43:07

I inherited a large basic garden shed when I moved into my new house 9 years ago. It had a concrete floor and electricity. I got a whole shell put in the inside and spotlights to make it into an outside room/studio. The roof covering was replaced. A wooden floor was laid on top of the concrete. I spent a fair bit but still reckoned that it would be a lot cheaper than a new one. It was ok for some years but the wood at the bottom outside rotted and water came in and I had to get it replaced... then water came in again and rotted the wooden floor. It smelled damp and nasty! I had to have the old floor stripped out and a new floor put down. Even now in summer it has a smell of damp. Don't underestimate the ease with which water gets into places!! I think now that I would have been better to get a new room. It was going to be very expensive but I reckon I have spent over £3000 and it's still not a great thing! I'm thinking of moving soon. If I had that lovely new room out there, firstly I would have really enjoyed it without all the upheaval of the repairs and secondly I would easily get the money back and more.. A good outside room adds a lot of value. And I would not have needed planning permission as there was a building already there and as I didn't alter the outside I was also fine. If you alter the outside you may need planning permission. Be aware if you want to put heating in it, coming from your home, you may then be eligible to pay more council tax. I'm in Scotland and that was what I was told by an architect here. Good luck whatever you decide.

Philippa111 Sun 11-Jul-21 14:52:08

Not to be too cynical but someone needing work (money) will just do as you say and not give you advice that might cancel their work. If he didn't spot the rot, I wouldn't let him near the place!! Getting a joiner to make specific repairs can be very expensive... more so that something made in a factory.

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 15:13:55

Philippa111

Not to be too cynical but someone needing work (money) will just do as you say and not give you advice that might cancel their work. If he didn't spot the rot, I wouldn't let him near the place!! Getting a joiner to make specific repairs can be very expensive... more so that something made in a factory.

As I said previously I will be deducting the cost of the carpenter from my final bill. His wife offered for him to come to to see me to talk about it, I said best not to as I might lose my temper. It will be two of his workmen doing it and on his website they have very good reviews…

Whiff Tue 13-Jul-21 12:23:44

Shinamae did you Google summer house sheds when you first come up with the idea? As there are a lot about various sizes. Do you need one that big? Even hard plastic ones. My neighbour has a lovely one.

Shinamae Sat 17-Jul-21 23:40:38

Whiff

Shinamae did you Google summer house sheds when you first come up with the idea? As there are a lot about various sizes. Do you need one that big? Even hard plastic ones. My neighbour has a lovely one.

No Whiff I did not do that as I really do want to resurrect this old boy… but if this doesn’t work out I might have to do that but I really hope I don’t.
The carpenter came round today to take some measurements and he’s coming back tomorrow so fingers crossed and I will keep this thread posted..

Shinamae Mon 19-Jul-21 12:36:17

Got a bit of a problem that can hold some parts of the restoration up I think. There are bees that are living underground on the left side of the shed as you look at it, I have tried white vinegar and cinnamon to try and get them to move but so far no good, I don’t think they live very long anyway and certainly do not want to exterminate them. just have to wait and see what happens..????

bikergran Thu 22-Jul-21 20:58:43

Oh heck... the bees will be moving on soon so maybe play about with another section until they vacate.

Shinamae Thu 22-Jul-21 21:08:04

That’s what we are intending……??????

Whiff Thu 22-Jul-21 21:52:20

Shinamae you could always ask a local bee keeper for advice. Google bee keepers it take you to their website and will provide a list of local keepers. I had to do it where I used to live. I had bees all over my bedroom window luckily it was shut or they would have been inside. Turns out they where just resting and moved on in the morning but it was eerie having them there.

Shinamae Thu 22-Jul-21 22:00:17

Whiff, I did contact a local beekeeper but he was not interested because he said they were ground bees and could become very aggressive and he actually recommended killing them with “Raid”… so really I don’t think they are interested unless they are honeybees…. It’s such a shame they are where they are if they had been anywhere else it would’ve not of been a problem at all, anyway they are not going to be exterminated whatever happens…?????

Shinamae Thu 22-Jul-21 22:02:10

How absolutely fascinating to have bees all over your bedroom window… like you say lucky it was shut but it must’ve been a spectacular sight and not one many people would ever get to see…

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 12:48:24

Whilst removing earth from the side of the shed my son saw something moving and he thought it was a mouse but it wasn’t it was this fella. He picked it up with gloves on, gardening gloves and put it by the side of the pond where after a couple of minutes he got into the water. I am presuming he is living under the shed and it must be getting very dry under there now so result!!!

Callistemon Fri 23-Jul-21 12:50:08

Well done to your son!
I found one right near the house when I was weeding once and rescued it (with gloves on) and put it somewhere safer as we were going to pave that bit.

Callistemon Fri 23-Jul-21 12:53:26

They could be miner bees and may move on if you disturb them. They're not usually aggressive. If the queen is there and she moves on perhaps they will follow.

Can you burn a citronella candle near them?

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 13:15:10

Funny you should say that Callistemon..??????

Callistemon Fri 23-Jul-21 14:54:24

Great minds think alike grin
I hope it works, Shinamae

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 21:55:51

Well it has been out there most of the day and will stay until it burns itself out, then tomorrow I will be out and check. Earlier on there did not seem to be so many bees so maybe they have taken the hint and moved on or are in the process of doing so, fingers crossed…

Shinamae Sat 24-Jul-21 10:56:06

Whether it was the citronella candle, the cinnamon, or the light white vinegar spray the bees have buzzed off!!.. today the ground will be dug out to reveal the damage at the bottom of the shed, right at the bottom, photos to follow….?

Shinamae Sun 25-Jul-21 09:41:07

Now the Earth and grass clippings that had accumulated over the years have been removed we can see the full extent of the damage to the shed and it’s bad!! The guy who gave me the original diagnosis for the shed and missed all this is coming tomorrow so I will keep you posted..?‍♀️

Shinamae Mon 26-Jul-21 14:38:27

Robin (shed man) Has been this morning, very apologetic,has measured up and he’s going to let me know later how much it’s gonna cost, he said it’s quite easy to do and he won’t charge me a lot so I will wait and see….?

Callistemon Mon 26-Jul-21 15:04:05

At least the bees buzzed off to pastures new!

bikergran Mon 26-Jul-21 21:29:02

I'm sure it can be rectified and put right with some new wood.

Fingers crossed smile

Shinamae Mon 26-Jul-21 21:39:00

I am actually quite optimistic now…?