Gransnet forums

House and home

Converting an old shed into a nice summer house… well that’s the plan! ?

(218 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 09:54:57

I have a shed 10‘ x 10‘ and not in bad condition, I thought!I had a guy come round from a shed company to see about doing the repairs and I’m having new windows doors and a roof however he did not pick up on the rotten wood at the bottom of the shed and I rang the company and was very peeved but it is what it is and I need to carry on. On the right side of the shed there about two panels of wood that are really rotten and a few along the front as well but the rest of the shed seems to be quite good condition. It is dry lined and has electricity. Anyway first thing to do is get all the rubbish out of it and my son is coming today to take rubbish to the tip so will see how it goes and keep you informed…. As you can imagine any advice very gratefully received(As long as it’s not burn it down and start again!!!?‍♀️) And inside the shed on the side where the rotten wood is the floor is quite damp so all in all I think this is going to be quite A big job…

lemongrove Mon 26-Jul-21 22:25:16

So much wildlife lives under sheds?toads, bees, and sometimes mice or the odd escaped hamster!
Am following your Summer house enterprise with interest.

Shinamae Mon 26-Jul-21 22:47:39

Well we had the toad,there is a picture of it further up the thread Lemongrove and I expect you’ve read about the bees as well who thankfully have gone now,packed their bags of their own accord and left which was a great relief……??? if they had been living under the shed there would’ve been no problem at all but they were just in the most awkward of places for the work I need doing

Shinamae Tue 27-Jul-21 10:14:08

Just had a phone call from the Shed people they are going to do that extra work for £300 which I think is very reasonable and it will mean the whole lot of the work including new roof new window new double doors and repairing the outside of the shed comes in at under £2000 which I am really happy with?

Blossoming Tue 27-Jul-21 10:42:11

Good news ?

Shinamae Tue 27-Jul-21 10:57:01

And it’s going to be done on the 18th of August they’re doing the whole thing in one day, just hope the weather stays fine!

bikergran Thu 05-Aug-21 19:41:27

Brilliant. Bet you cant wait to get started painting/decorating it.

Looking forward to the next installment, keep taking pics smile

Gingster Thu 05-Aug-21 19:57:19

Shinamae. It’s great to have a project and you will get great satisfaction when it’s done. Yes a challenge but how exciting. , with planning how you want it to look and what you will put in there.
We have a newish summerhouse ( the old one blew away in gales) . We use our summerhouse more than the house. We love it. ?
Good luck and keep us posted ????

Gingster Thu 05-Aug-21 19:59:15

Bikergran that construction is amazing! What a very lucky Gs.
Well done ?????

Shinamae Thu 05-Aug-21 22:46:25

Will post pictures as soon as work starts, just hope the weather stays fine on the 18th!! ?

bikergran Fri 06-Aug-21 19:45:18

Thankyou Ginster smile

Shinamae Wed 18-Aug-21 09:40:13

The men are here to do the shed ?????? Will try and post pictures as the day goes on. They are doing the cladding and the new window and door today and will put the roof on and spray it on another day so fingers crossed everything goes according to plan!!

olddudders Wed 18-Aug-21 09:50:03

Great news that real men are on site and the work will happen. I hope it ticks all the right boxes.

But for all those who might be using or contemplating a shoffice (shed-cum-office) in these Covid times, this makes sobering reading.

www.bbc.com/news/business-58245846

Shinamae Wed 18-Aug-21 10:18:23

Update……apparently one of the man has tested positive for Covid so will not be able to work today, they are trying to find somebody else but they all seem to be on other jobs so goodness knows what’s going to happen. I am so so disappointed I can’t tell you..?‍♀️☹️

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 10:20:31

it will be done soon. It seems par for the course atm that things are getting cancelled. Just think it will even be nice to sit in autumn and winter, fret not

Shinamae Wed 18-Aug-21 10:42:02

JaneJudge

it will be done soon. It seems par for the course atm that things are getting cancelled. Just think it will even be nice to sit in autumn and winter, fret not

Thank you Jane, ????That’s actually what it is,a winter shack rather than a summer shack I could not sit in it if it was really really hot I would melt!! I love winter weather and want to hear the rain on the roof and is the wind howling round (if it’s possible to howl in my quite small garden ⛈???…)

Shinamae Wed 18-Aug-21 10:43:57

olddudders

Great news that real men are on site and the work will happen. I hope it ticks all the right boxes.

But for all those who might be using or contemplating a shoffice (shed-cum-office) in these Covid times, this makes sobering reading.

Thanks for that!, ?..My winter shack is actually going to be a reading room… no fire pits or pizza ovens ?

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 10:46:17

I love hearing rain on the roof smile We have an insulated workshop and it is surprisingly warm in the winter
It will be great you know x

olddudders Wed 18-Aug-21 12:21:52

Shinamae

olddudders

Thanks for that!, ?..My winter shack is actually going to be a reading room… no fire pits or pizza ovens ?

Sorry to rain on your parade when you've already had a setback today! Poor timing, Dudders!

My 'shed' is made of 1850 stone, and I value it highly - it houses my model railway! I hope yours gets to completion soonest.

Shinamae Wed 18-Aug-21 15:38:15

Dudders………thank you……?

Shinamae Fri 20-Aug-21 00:59:19

This summer house is 11‘ x 10‘ my old boy is 10‘ x 10‘ so you can maybe see the reason I am resurrecting my old shed rather than paying out all that money for a new one and that is it just delivered, I would then have to pay for someone to erect it. By the time I have paid for everything including the decorating and furnishing inside I think it will still come in at about £2600 so I am happy with that. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan. 25th of August is when they are coming to do the work ?

Shinamae Mon 23-Aug-21 19:17:15

Interior of shed prepped for painting with primer and window and door are to be replaced on Wednesday if everything goes according to plan….?

JaneJudge Mon 23-Aug-21 19:47:13

it is looking good smile

Shinamae Mon 23-Aug-21 20:13:09

Thanks Jane but I wouldn’t say it’s looking good I would say it’s looking better ? can’t wait to see what it looks like Wednesday when they replace all the rotten wood on the outside and also put the new window and doors in ?

Callistemon Mon 23-Aug-21 22:43:15

Are you going to use it as a shed shed ie dumping grounds for garden stuff or as a more elegant and relaxing womanshed as in bikergran's picture, Shinamae?

Shinamae Mon 23-Aug-21 23:39:24

Definitely a garden room for me Callistemon to decorate with serene colours so I can go and read and relax ….?….got a small shed next to that one that is a shed shed if you know what I mean ?…