Gransnet forums

House and home

Folding dry washing

(75 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 14-Jul-21 22:34:59

Why didn’t I know these existed? Does everyone except me have one?

I bought a laundry folder from the bay of e, it arrived today. I’ve just folded all my newly laundered t-shirts and popped them in a neat little pile on a wardrobe shelf. It took about 5 minutes! I’ve been struggling for the past 18 years to fold laundry one-handed, it was difficult and painful and often ended in tears! Not anymore. I’m on a roll today grin

Callistemon Wed 14-Jul-21 22:42:09

I'd never heard of them!

Is there one for sheets? My mother used to get me to help her, hold the sides, walk together etc, fold, repeat, like a little dance.

Mollygo Wed 14-Jul-21 22:46:25

I saw one on The Big Bang Theory. Don’t need one yet but you never know.

Blossoming Wed 14-Jul-21 22:52:24

I haven’t seen anything big enough for sheets, this one has done t-shirts, leggings, jeggings and my little waterproof hoodie today. Less than a tenner including postage.

tanith Wed 14-Jul-21 22:52:56

I’m struggling to work it out? What does it do?

Welshwife Wed 14-Jul-21 22:58:40

I googled it on eBay - if you scroll down there is picture which shows you how it works - or rather how to use it!

Blossoming Wed 14-Jul-21 23:09:54

This is the clip from The Big Bang Theory where he’s using it. It’s like 6 plastic panels, you lay the garment on top and then flip over the panels to fold.

youtu.be/MOaKFLxywqw

Callistemon Wed 14-Jul-21 23:51:19

If it means no ironing I'm all for it!

Esspee Thu 15-Jul-21 07:50:33

I love the Big Bang Theory, could watch it over and over.
I remember thinking when I watched that episode that it could be a useful gadget to have but was talked out of it.

Callistemon what is this thing called ironing of which you speak?

I have always felt that automatic washing machines should dry, fold and put everything away.

Mattsmum2 Thu 15-Jul-21 08:05:41

I bought my partner and son as he went to uni one of these. I’ve always folded T-shirt’s how this works but without one so thought it was a great idea.

Mollygo Thu 15-Jul-21 08:19:05

I love the BBT too. The last episode makes me cry though.
Esspee that would be a great idea if the automatic washer did that.

Whiff Thu 15-Jul-21 08:19:52

Sorry but really. It's not hard to fold clothes. Why by a gadget.

LullyDully Thu 15-Jul-21 08:25:13

Very useful if you have a disability but otherwise maybe not.

V3ra Thu 15-Jul-21 08:26:13

Whiff in her original post Blossoming says she struggles only being one-handed...

Deedaa Thu 15-Jul-21 08:31:53

I remember being very disappointed when automatic washing machine were first being advertised to find that they did just wash.

Sago Thu 15-Jul-21 08:32:50

I have a piece of strong cardboard that I use for folding shirts and t shirts.
£10!!!!!!!!!!

Aldom Thu 15-Jul-21 09:15:20

Whiff

Sorry but really. It's not hard to fold clothes. Why by a gadget.

The OP has to struggle to fold with only one hand. I struggle with two hands. Both my hands are stiff and extremely painful with arthritis. Don't be so quick to be critical Whiff

Whiff Thu 15-Jul-21 09:30:04

All the ones who jumped on me. I have problems with my 4 limbs I know what it's like not to be able to do some things. But with a bit of thought you can find ways that work for you. I have had these problems since I was 29 . When to bed normal 29 year old with 2 children aged 4 and 6 months and woke to not be able to control my limbs plus seizures. So I do fully understand the problems. Lived with them for 33 years . But you can fold things with limited use in your arms and hands plus do it one handed I do it all the time. I speak from experience. If I wanted to use a gadget I wouldn't buy one but use a fish slice it would fold things just as well.

Witzend Thu 15-Jul-21 09:41:51

I don’t fold much - we use a lot of hangers! Sounds v good though.

As for sheets etc., best tip I’ve heard in years is stuffing (folded) duvet cover, bottom sheet and one pillow case, into the other pillow case, so that I don’t have to root around our far-too-small airing cupboard to find them.

NB the only bedding items I ever iron are pillowcases, and then only for guests.

maytime2 Thu 15-Jul-21 09:42:06

I don't fold T Shirts vertically, I fold them horizontally which means that you don't get that dreaded line down the middle. When I put T. Shirts by after the Summer by folding this way there is minimal ironing to do in the Spring.
It is also good for using when packing a suitcase, far less wrinkles.

Blossoming Thu 15-Jul-21 09:44:26

Why have you jumped on me Whiff? I’m not going to describe my impairments or what caused them, this isn’t a competition.

Sago if you can’t afford £10 then I’m very sorry but no need to sneer at me.

I was feeling quite pleased last night after finding something to make my life easier, I thought I would share it with fellow Grans. Wish I hadn’t bothered now.

Polly12 Thu 15-Jul-21 09:51:53

I think shop assistants in clothes shops use something similar? So once I’ve been along and picked up every T shirt in the pile and then put them back, highledy-piggledy a poor assistant comes along with her plastic folder upper……

Mollygo Thu 15-Jul-21 09:52:05

Blossoming ‘don’t let the b***** grind you down, as DH would say.
I don’t need one right now, but your post reminded me about enjoying the BBT episode and if I didn’t know about the object I’d say thanks for the mention or nothing at all. As Claudia and Tess wouldn’t say Keeeeeeeep Posting!

JackyB Thu 15-Jul-21 09:54:33

I keep meaning to try this. (Sorry, blossoming you do need 2 hands)

youtu.be/uz6rjbw0ZA0

I often see those folding gadgets in catalogues. However, I am afraid I iron everything. I think the garments smell better. My youngest said the girls at school used to come up to him and bury their noses in his tee-shirts because they loved the smell.

It might have been him, of course, but then again, I made him, too, didn't I?

Parsley3 Thu 15-Jul-21 09:56:32

What a useful gadget, Blossoming. Thanks for sharing.