Gransnet forums

House and home

Feeling sad about moving

(42 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 18-Jul-21 10:55:26

I have lived in my current house for just over 30 years.
The time is right to sell for lots of reasons and I have no regrets. Just feeling nostalgic I guess.
My buyers (a young couple) came round recently to measure up and are so excited. I am glad I am selling it to them as they are lovely, and as they left I wished them every happiness and meant it, but since then I have been getting pangs of sadness.
I had an odd ‘possessive’ self indulgent moment last evening, feeling bitter that someone will be in my home, making friends with my neighbours, weaving themselves into my community. But of course - it won’t be mine! grin
I am not a selfish, jealous person and it feels alien to me. But I just can’t help it! confused
Is this normal?!
It doesn’t help that this process is so slow. I regret choosing the solicitor that I have but it’s too far on to change now.

Blossoming Sun 18-Jul-21 11:00:56

I felt sad when we left our first home to move here, if you’ve been happy somewhere I think that’s natural. You’ll feel differently once you can look forward to doing those things in your new home.

Calendargirl Sun 18-Jul-21 11:01:11

Absolutely normal I would think. Although your move is for the right reasons, if you have been happy there, of course you will feel sad.

I wish you well in your new home.

Namsnanny Sun 18-Jul-21 11:03:59

It's just a normal blip in the process.
I would find it very difficult to leave here after 30 plus years.

I think your doing well, let the moods come and go.

It will all feel better when you have the move to concentrate on.

Keep posting when you feel like it.
It might help to talk.
Good luck flowers

Callistemon Sun 18-Jul-21 11:07:52

We should downsize if only we could find somewhere suitable.
However, I'm sure I will be upset when or if we do.

Best wishes, Flaxseed, it's a normal reaction if you've been happy somewhere. I hope you'll settle in well in your new home.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:09:34

Yes, I think these feelings are normal, perhaps especially after 30 years in the same place.

I broke down in tears when DH first suggested moving after a similar length of time. However, I soon saw the advantages and am happy in our new home.

I hope and feel sure you will be too.

It is all right to have these private moments and you obviously have managed to wish the young couple you are selling to all the best in their new home, so pat yourself on the back.

Once you move away, resist the temptation to go back to your old area on a visit. Eight years after moving I still don't want to visit my old neighbourhood.

A word of advice: you may find yourself dreaming at night that you are back in your old home, either living there or sneaking in to look. I do, and have decided that these dreams are just part of having been attached to the place and nothing to bother about.

ExDancer Sun 18-Jul-21 11:21:53

You're homesick.
You will recover. Throw yourself into your new home and spend your energies into creating your perfect space without trying to replicate and hint of your old home.
It will pass, but it will always be with you. Do resist the temptation to visit this nice couple to see what they've done to your old home - it will break your heart.

Whiff Sun 18-Jul-21 16:23:03

Flaxseed are you moving on your own and are you moving somewhere far away from where you live now?

I was finally free to move after my mom died. My husband died 17 years ago. Still had parents and mother in law who needed me. My children had both moved to the north west for uni. So I had been living in a large house I rattled round for 15 years apart from my mom's last 18 months when she lived with me. We had lived in the same village since we brought our 1st house in 1980 a year before we married . We only moved a couple of streets away and I been in that house for 34 years when I moved.

Once I decided to sell I started to detach my feelings from the house. Once I found my bungalow I mentally detached myself completely . I rattled round that house.

A word of warning until contracts are exchanged the sale of your house is not certain. My 1st buyer pulled out the day of contract exchange. My 2nd buyer was at my house measuring up on the Sunday . Next day she pulled out 4 days before exchange. Luckily I found another buyer the same week. Their solicitor was a nightmare. But it went through.

Luckily every time the sale fell through the vendors where willing to sell me the bungalow. I moved to the north west to live near my children. Next month will be my 2nd year here. I have no regrets moving I love it here.

Flaxseed you say you have no regrets selling . Be happy you are moving to somewhere new and if all goes well the young couple will make it into a family home and breathe new life into the house. But remember until contracts are exchanged it's not a done deal.

I hope everything goes well and be happy you have an exciting new life somewhere new. New experiences and new people to met. Embrace it .

Hetty58 Sun 18-Jul-21 16:31:17

Flaxseed, once you've moved - it really won't matter any more. I loved my last house but forgot it as soon as I arrived here.

I loved my job, too, and felt the same, simply couldn't imagine being retired, yet I soon lost all interest in teaching and education. So, I've done my bit and moved on so easily.

Hithere Sun 18-Jul-21 16:33:17

Losts of memories made in that house - I would say it is totally normal

MoorlandMooner Sun 18-Jul-21 16:34:53

Trouble is that at the moment all you have is the upheaval, work and sadness of leaving your familiar home and none of the excitement of being in your new home.

When you're in you'll have the joy of a fresh start, the pleasure of making it homely, new neighbours to meet and a whole new future ahead of you in your lovely new house.

It doesn't help that the legal process is so tortuous and slow...you are a afraid to start being excited and happy about the new house until the job is complete.

I go through the same feelings every time I've moved. The last time was particularly bad and now I'm in my cosy new place I am in love with it.

Happy moving Flaxseed. All will be well I'm sure.

kittylester Sun 18-Jul-21 16:41:12

Where are you moving to flaxseed? What is the house like? The area?

Infinity2 Sun 18-Jul-21 17:46:33

Good luck with your move Flaxseed - I’m sure once you are settled in your new home you will soon be busy making it as nice as your current one.

Franbern Sun 18-Jul-21 17:55:17

I went through similar feelings when trying to sell my house to move to a flat. Very ambivalent.........every time all seemed to be well on course, I could only think about everything I was giving up and leavkng behind. Each time it all went pear shaped and stopped, all I could think about was how wonderful if would be living in a flat.

So difficult......Even had one very real nightmare one night, when I dreamed I have moved and woke up the first day in absolute depair thinking 'What have I done???'

When it did all go through and I moved to my flat, I never looked back. All doubts and fears just disappeared, so happy it all happened.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 18-Jul-21 18:06:40

I think there are mixed feelings with every move - you're leaving behind friends and neighbours, maybe a garden which you've created and having to start again is a wrench.

You can only move forward with optimism, hope it all works out for you flaxseed - I downsized a few years back and it was ultimately for the best.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jul-21 18:15:55

I moved to this house about 2 years ago, having lived in my other house for 40 years. I moved for all the right, sensible and practical reasons but my heart was, and still is, at "my" old house. I still cannot bring myself to drive past, just in case they haven't looked after it. It's getting easier as time goes on but my old house is still where I think of as home.

Callistemon Sun 18-Jul-21 18:35:06

I know, if we move, the new owners will rip out the kitchen, remodel it all which is what I would do if I was younger.
However, the thought of someone tearing up my garden fills me with horror!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 18-Jul-21 19:55:48

I think it’s normal to feel a bit sad as you have memories don’t you, I find it quite exciting moving to different areas, you can always keep in touch with old neighbours, best wishes to you flaxseed

grandma60 Sun 18-Jul-21 20:05:17

The lady who lived next door to us had a beautiful garden After she died the young couple who moved in ripped everything out and laid down concrete so that they could have noisy partys every weekend.
In the end we have been forced to move. We had been there over forty years and brought up our family there. I was, in tears when we shut the door for the last time, and so upset that our buyers might rip out our garden.
Now we live in a beautiful area with nice quiet neighbours so it was worth it in the end.

Flaxseed Sun 18-Jul-21 21:55:44

Thank you all for your kind comments!

I am moving about 8 miles away. I will still see my neighbour as he is now a good friend and I will be in the area a lot as I work in the local hospital here.
I actually hope the new owners will renovate this house as it’s tired, dated and in dire need of modernisation. Something I cannot afford to do.
I went to my new house to measure up this morning and as it’s only three years older and has very house proud owners, it really cheered me up. It will be so nice to not have to constantly worry about things that need doing that I simply can’t afford to do.
I will take away lots of memories of my 2 DD’s growing up here, but we have had some tough times here too that I will be willing to forget!
So all in all, I feel much better about things now. Hopefully it was a temporary blip wink
I am very aware that things could go wrong up until we exchange. Fingers crossed though!
Thanks again

Flaxseed Sun 18-Jul-21 22:05:38

whiff
I am buying this house on my own.
It’s complicated confused

I was going to buy with my DP but things went a bit wrong (there’s a thread here somewhere about it)
We are still together though, and I’ll be nearer to him in my new house.
We hope to start the process of moving in together again in a couple of years when all our children are settled.
However, although I am buying it alone, my DD, her partner and my grandson will probably move with me. They are currently living with me after selling their flat. They put an offer in on a lovely house a while ago, have had searches etc done, got my DGS onto the waiting list of an excellent school and then heard this week that it’s fallen through. She is so upset.
So yes, I am buying on my own, but it might be some time before I am living there alone!

Kali2 Sun 18-Jul-21 22:11:38

Totally normal and I feel for you. We sold our family home of 33 years, 11 years ago- and I am just getting at the stage where I can drive past and not feel emotional.

It is now a Kindergarten- so I can follow up what happens there on FB - but I don't think I'll ever go and visit.

Wish all goes speedily now and onwards and forwards.

Whiff Mon 19-Jul-21 05:55:09

Flaxseed I do remember your post about moving . I thought your name sounded familiar.

Just hope everything works out. At least you will have plenty of hands to help with the move . Hopefully things will move quicker now more people are working from offices and not their homes.

Sorry it fell through for your daughter. In the 2 years since I moved things haven't gotten any easier. About time it was sorted out. Scotland and other countries seen to have a better and quicker way of moving things along. If people got locked into buying and selling early on after searches and survey it would make the whole process quicker and less stressful. I know I will never move again couldn't stand the uncertainty. Anyway I love my bungalow , the people and area .

I will keep a look out for your posts. ?

Newatthis Mon 19-Jul-21 06:27:10

So empathise with you. I was in the same position recently and felt exactly the same. Good Luck with your move.

ginny Mon 19-Jul-21 07:48:50

Perfectly normal. It is not the bricks and mortar of a home but the memories you have made the. Remember though that you take memories with you
I hope you will be very happy in your new home.