Gransnet forums

House and home

Looking for a new home

(84 Posts)
Coolgran65 Wed 24-Nov-21 01:48:09

Our house is sale agreed after only 5 days on the market having had 6 bidders. All went so well. Sold to a cash buyer who is happy to wait until we find something suitable. A perfect situation for us you’d think.
Except we are finding it difficult to find a suitable property. We want to future proof by moving to a bungalow. Or a house with a bathroom/bedroom downstairs as well as bedroom/s and shower room upstairs so we can migrate downstairs should the need arise. Such a property is like hen’s teeth. Barely a bungalow to be found.
We really want to stay in our little market town but have extended our search area by 10 miles still without success. I think there will not be many new properties come onto the market until after Christmas.

Those we have seen need too much done to them to make them suitable. We’re willing to do a certain amount of work such as changing a bathroom to a shower room but not to the extent of knocking down walls/repointing brickwork.
Today we viewed 4 properties at the 10 mile radius limit without success. I came home drained and emotionally exhausted. Our own home is perfect for us except it doesn’t have the option for downstairs living. Future proofing seemed such a good idea.

Has anyone ever felt that it was all just too much. We’ve only been searching for two weeks but have covered every property in the area that is remotely suitable without success.

I didn’t realise how stressful this part was going to be. To be waiting in hope that we find something. I know that any day ‘the one’ could appear. But can my nerves take the strain.

Anyone else find this part difficult?

Coolgran65 Fri 26-Nov-21 19:55:49

Monica we put our house on the market because we could not even view properties via an estate agent unless it was on the market and preferably sold.

Thank you everyone for your positive comments. We will of course keep looking but pretty much accept that things won’t progress until daffodil time.
I am bearing in mind the option of a stair lift should we not find anything and should it be necessary.

Thank you all again.

Yoginimeisje Sat 27-Nov-21 08:22:21

Shandy57

Fantastic news Yogi, wishing you good weather for your move.

Thank you so much Shandy I am now worried about the weather! My neighbour moved last Friday week with the last of the good weather. They mirrored my moving hell apart from other way round with buying when the prices were lower and selling high. Some people have all the luck envy

Yoginimeisje Sat 27-Nov-21 08:27:15

Grannysomerset I don't think you have to sell your home to pay for H nursing home, they go on your savings not on the home you are living in, different if it was vacant. Get some advise on that and best of luck.

videshik2 Mon 06-Dec-21 10:54:08

Hi there. This is excellently written. Good blog. Thank you for sharing smile

Caleo Mon 06-Dec-21 11:07:03

Removing or installing a stud wall is not difficult or inordinately messy.

Asad0000 Tue 21-Dec-21 11:22:48

Nice article in which builder agreed selling of the house in just 5$. Because they require repair in many areas. By doing the repair their <a href="https://matsdubai.ae/">interior design</a> can improve.

Greta8 Tue 21-Dec-21 14:16:55

@Grannysomerset As someone else said, you absolutely do not need to sell your house to pay for your husband's care home fees. The rules are that you can live in your house until your death, and your husband's fees are deferred until then. This is of course applicable if your house is owned jointly by you both.If you contact your Adult Social Care Department of your local council they will explain it all to you and give you the necessary paperwork.

NanaPlenty Fri 21-Jan-22 20:37:25

I’ve been looking for two years! Have sold twice, first move fell through and since then have t been able to find anything suitable. There has been very very little on the market but it’s starting to slowly pick up so hopefully with Covid in decline finally this year things may improve. I wish you well - it’s not easy but you will find something eventually x