Gransnet forums

House and home

Additional needs child..

(28 Posts)
Dee1012 Sun 16-Jan-22 19:02:30

I'd really appreciate any advice with a sensitive issue.

A close friend bought a flat about 2 years ago, she's very happy with it.
Ideal location, cost etc.

About 12 months ago a young couple moved into the flat above which is rented, they have two children.
Roughly 3 weeks after they moved in problems with noise began - shouting, screaming, banging etc. It wasn't unusual for the noises to begin at 4/5 a.m and they would continue intermittently throughout the day and night.
My friends initial thoughts were domestic abuse and she raised concerns with the relevant agencies.
Cutting a very long story short...the elder child has Autism and that's why there's so many issues with noise etc.

She's trying to be understanding of how difficult it is for the young family and doesn't want to keep complaining to them but is struggling with the impact on her...she works from home and has had a lot of problems with the noise.
She's now sleeping in the kitchen because it's quieter in that room...or she stays with me to get some sleep several times a week

She loves her flat and doesn't want to sell / move and even if she did, financially it would be extremely difficult.

I've suggested she speaks to the landlord of the property and asks about soundproofing etc.
Does anyone have any other suggestions and/or advice?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 16-Jan-22 19:30:25

You’re right, it is a sensitive issue.
The family can’t help making noise that echos through into your friends flat, although most modern apartments have already had sound proofing installed when they are being built.
I think that if your friend contacts the Landlord about the noise, the family will be asked to leave at the end of their Lease, (probably 6 months) rather than sound proofing being installed.
If this is what your friend wants to happen then fair enough.
The alternative to living with the problem is for your friend to leave.
A cautionary tale for anyone purchasing an apartment that isn’t on the top floor.

Dee1012 Sun 16-Jan-22 20:04:46

Oopsadaisy1

You’re right, it is a sensitive issue.
The family can’t help making noise that echos through into your friends flat, although most modern apartments have already had sound proofing installed when they are being built.
I think that if your friend contacts the Landlord about the noise, the family will be asked to leave at the end of their Lease, (probably 6 months) rather than sound proofing being installed.
If this is what your friend wants to happen then fair enough.
The alternative to living with the problem is for your friend to leave.
A cautionary tale for anyone purchasing an apartment that isn’t on the top floor.

It isn't a modern building, which might have helped the issue...

From talking to the family, it appears they are related to the landlord in some way which adds to the complexity.
A neighbour at the side plans to involve environmental health, the noise levels can be horrendous.

Personally moving was the only other option I could think of but again, would the noise issue need to be declared?

GagaJo Sun 16-Jan-22 20:20:59

I had this problem with a flat I own. My tenant complained a lot about the noise from the flat below. But as with your friend, it turned out the child had autism.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 16-Jan-22 20:47:52

Yes, the noise issue would have to be revealed to the new buyers.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 17-Jan-22 01:07:24

Can your friend wear the appropriate headphones with mic for her work at least?
Presumably the flat has two bedrooms if there is a family above, and also a sitting room. Has she fully investigated the quietest arrangement of the rooms. I expect she has or you wouldn’t be here. The most efficient arrangement would be to avoid being under the child’s bedroom but I realise that might not work. I really sympathise as a family lived along from us in our last house and although we were all detached, the noise at night was very distressing for everyone. A very sensitive situation indeed.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 01:19:51

Could your friend offer to pay for underlay and carpeting the noisy areas (that's if the tenants and landlord agree)? Hard floors tend to magnify any sound from above.

Ceilings can be soundproofed too, if there's enough height in a converted building, A special insulation and another, lower ceiling is installed.

You don't mention the age of the child or severity of autism. Is there a prospect of school attendance in future?

Bibbity Mon 17-Jan-22 02:33:48

Unfortunately this is a risk when living in a flat. There is very little that can be done that hasn't already been exhausted.

I would honestly suggest your friend move. This is not a situation that May ever resolve if the family are settled.

silverlining48 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:13:08

Carpets will muffle the noise but so many people want hard floors which exacerbate the problem,
I used to visit a friend with a family in the flat upstairs and the noise was horrendous.
Flats were both owner occupied but they would not put carpets in so she had to move.

luluaugust Mon 17-Jan-22 10:39:08

In the end I think her only option will be to move on.

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:43:18

Oopsadaisy1

Yes, the noise issue would have to be revealed to the new buyers.

I thought issues like this only had to be revealed to prospective buyers when the relevant authorities had been brought in to resolve.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:43:58

silverlining48, my daughter lived in a new-build flat, where carpeting was compulsory (except in kitchens and bathrooms) everywhere except on the ground floor. Conversions, of course, are far noisier.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:45:44

Pammie1, I'm sure 'issues' are only revealed where there is evidence in writing - or police involvement.

Calendargirl Mon 17-Jan-22 10:50:12

It’s one thing to say ‘Oh, she’ll have to move’ but another property might have other issues.

A huge shame, as she was happy there before all this.

silverlining48 Mon 17-Jan-22 15:10:06

Hetty that makes sense. Think in Germany exactly the same thing happens, anything higher than ground floor must have carpet fitted.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jan-22 15:14:41

If the child was properly medicated this wouldn't/ shouldn't happen.

Bibbity Mon 17-Jan-22 17:10:30

EllanVannin

Absolute rubbish. Autism is not something that can be medicated away.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jan-22 17:38:36

Bibbity, my GGD had to be medicated because during a meltdown she was smashing up the home and anything in her path. She couldn't go to any school because of this and has been at a residential home for nearly 2 years.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jan-22 17:43:40

Frustration builds up and the only way of letting off steam is to shout/ scream and generally cause ructions. Her medication was for her extreme behaviour . I believe it was an anti-psychotic medication.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jan-22 17:47:52

However, now, at turned 13, she is off her medication but has a long way to go because she can't tolerate noise, even her siblings or crowds.

Blondiescot Mon 17-Jan-22 18:01:23

Bibbity

EllanVannin

Absolute rubbish. Autism is not something that can be medicated away.

Completely agree. It's absolutely horrendous to suggest that every child with autism simply needs medication! That's a very backward attitude.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jan-22 18:18:41

I give up !

Bibbity Mon 17-Jan-22 18:50:42

EllanVannin

Bibbity, my GGD had to be medicated because during a meltdown she was smashing up the home and anything in her path. She couldn't go to any school because of this and has been at a residential home for nearly 2 years.

Do you know one child with Autism who responded well.
You know nothing of this other child. There is no blanket medication for Autism. Many children do not require any medication. Even those who are medicated will not be "cured"

The child could be stimulating or have triggers. But you can not speak on their diagnosis.

Gwyneth Mon 17-Jan-22 21:24:30

I feel for both parties here. Very difficult for the family to prevent an autistic child making a noise but also for the person having to try and work, sleep and relax with constant noise. It would certainly have a huge effect on my mental health. Are the family aware of how much noise you can hear?

MerylStreep Mon 17-Jan-22 21:50:16

If you’ve met one autistic child, you’ve met one autistic child.
Every single one is different.
I understand what EllenVannin is saying because a child in our wider family had to be medicated for his mother and sisters safety. It was very sad to see when he was on the medication.