Gransnet forums

House and home

Additional needs child..

(29 Posts)
Dee1012 Sun 16-Jan-22 19:02:30

I'd really appreciate any advice with a sensitive issue.

A close friend bought a flat about 2 years ago, she's very happy with it.
Ideal location, cost etc.

About 12 months ago a young couple moved into the flat above which is rented, they have two children.
Roughly 3 weeks after they moved in problems with noise began - shouting, screaming, banging etc. It wasn't unusual for the noises to begin at 4/5 a.m and they would continue intermittently throughout the day and night.
My friends initial thoughts were domestic abuse and she raised concerns with the relevant agencies.
Cutting a very long story short...the elder child has Autism and that's why there's so many issues with noise etc.

She's trying to be understanding of how difficult it is for the young family and doesn't want to keep complaining to them but is struggling with the impact on her...she works from home and has had a lot of problems with the noise.
She's now sleeping in the kitchen because it's quieter in that room...or she stays with me to get some sleep several times a week

She loves her flat and doesn't want to sell / move and even if she did, financially it would be extremely difficult.

I've suggested she speaks to the landlord of the property and asks about soundproofing etc.
Does anyone have any other suggestions and/or advice?

Dee1012 Tue 18-Jan-22 09:40:44

Gwyneth

I feel for both parties here. Very difficult for the family to prevent an autistic child making a noise but also for the person having to try and work, sleep and relax with constant noise. It would certainly have a huge effect on my mental health. Are the family aware of how much noise you can hear?

The family are aware of the noise, my friend approached them before she was aware of their circumstances.
It's causing her real distress and she doesn't want to add to the pressures the family has, she is a kind and reasonable person.
From what she was told, the little one has another condition alongside the diagnosis of Autism which creates the extreme situations.
It is having a dreadful effect on her own mental health too...the situation is a little better during the day now as the child goes to daycare / a support centre so there is an element of respite during the week.
She's looking at options to move as it does appear to be the best thing for her to do.

Hetty58 Tue 18-Jan-22 09:53:51

It's a shame that the family live in a flat - with no outdoor space - and probably well aware of the nuisance to neighbours. There's still the possibility that they will move away, though.

We have a three year old child with autism four houses away. He regularly kicks off around 3 to 3.30 pm - so I tend to come indoors from the garden (can't hear him indoors). It really upsets me listening to the awful screaming.

Gwyneth Tue 18-Jan-22 10:31:48

Dee I suppose the ideal solution would be for the council to find more suitable accommodation for the family which would take the pressure off them re the noise and would not disturb neighbours too much. An upstairs flat is not the best accommodation for a family with children anyway. But it’s not an ideal World unfortunately.