Gransnet forums

House and home

Autumn cleaning?

(65 Posts)
Foxygloves Sun 17-Sep-23 07:55:38

We all know about Spring cleaning, whether we do it or not, but what about Autumn cleaning?
We’ve had three months of the focus mostly being on the garden and outside in general, plus little energy to do much at all perhaps in the heat, and I feel inside has been neglected.
So my first job will be a thorough clean and reordering of the fridge - the freezer is a bit daunting, but maybe that too.
And I’m booking Ovenu to do my range cooker.
That should do for starters.
What would you tackle first?

Grandmabatty Sun 17-Sep-23 07:58:44

I really need to clean out the kitchen cupboards but I'm saving my autumn clean for October when dd, sil and the boys are away for a week. Then I can pace myself.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Sep-23 08:00:35

Nothing just do my normal bits as days go by

V3ra Sun 17-Sep-23 08:14:16

The spiders and cobwebs! I get round that by telling my minded children we are a spider sanctuary.
Though one little boy recently claimed he couldn't eat his tea because the daddy longlegs on the wall "might be looking at me," so that one went out the window!

As far as actual cleaning goes, it would be the internal framework of the windows which get dirty because the windows are always open.
Which brings me back to the spiders and daddy longlegs coming in... 🤷

Attlee Sun 17-Sep-23 08:21:05

I started cleaning my kitchen cupboards a couple of weeks ago when the weather started to get cooler. It warmed up again and stopped me in my tracks.
Yesterday I finally cleaned the conservatory blinds. I have looked at the dust on them for weeks.
The wardrobes are next on my list.
I like to give everywhere a thorough clean before I start thinking about C.....mas.

ginny Sun 17-Sep-23 08:22:17

Nothing really. I try to tackle the bigger things in small spurts throughout the year. I suppose the skirting boards could do with a good wipe down soon.

M0nica Sun 17-Sep-23 08:28:53

Nothing, I have a regular routine, which I stick to and only do special cleans when special reasons require it.

For example, for the last month DH has been repairing and repainting the windows at the front of the house and walking sawdust, paint chippings through the hall. Once he has finished the hall will get a good clean.

kittylester Sun 17-Sep-23 08:34:22

Spray cobwebs silver and use as Christmas decorations.

I have never even thought about Autumn cleaning - I don't think about cleaning much at all and certainly never Spring clean. If i had to choose, I suppose that the cooker would be my first thought and the inside of the windows to maximise the available light.

Jaxjacky Sun 17-Sep-23 08:52:58

Similar to others, we don’t have a Spring clean, never mind Autumn, it just gets done as it needs doing, with the minimum necessary!

crazyH Sun 17-Sep-23 08:53:21

No spring clean or autumn clean here. No energy for all that. Hopefully the once a fortnight ‘clean’ by my cleaners, and the run-through I do every couple of days , is sufficient. Good luck with your autumn clean Foxygloves

crazyH Sun 17-Sep-23 08:56:09

Btw I hate housework

Casdon Sun 17-Sep-23 09:05:14

I do. I wash everything I can in October, even though my sofas don’t officially have washable covers I do them, throws, washable curtains, cushion covers, and anything else I can find. I also clean my carpets and ban the dog from going out through the patio doors, he has to go out through the utility room in the winter so he doesn’t get muddy footprints anywhere. I’m far more interested in the garden than the house in the summer too, so I’ll start once I’ve finished tidying up the garden for the winter.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 17-Sep-23 09:10:05

The garden will soon have its last cut and the hedge cutters will be here soon. The house will have its usual clean, room by room, but I’ll need to sort the wardrobes out for winter clothes soon.

Mum always put up her winter curtains and the curtain went up across the front door as soon as the weather changed. Dad got the logs in and chopped them and the coal cellar was filled up ready for the bad weather. We seldom get really bad weather anymore and with double glazing we don’t need to change to heavy curtains.

Tink75 Sun 17-Sep-23 09:16:17

Kittylester I love your suggestion just looking for my silver spray can now.

GrannySomerset Sun 17-Sep-23 09:18:12

I had never thought of seasonal cleaning, though now you mention it the low sunlight is showing that I need to clean the windows inside ……. I did sort out the shameful kitchen cupboards a week or to ago, and the wonderful oven cleaning man came last week; does that count as autumn cleaning, do you think?

tanith Sun 17-Sep-23 09:25:56

I’ve just cleaned the windows and sills inside, moved cupboards, shoe hamper and beds that I only bother moving out now and then to hoover behind (found a few lurking spiders YUK!!).

Jane43 Sun 17-Sep-23 09:41:04

I have started a serious clean of each room since having my cataracts done. Now I can see the accumulated dust and cobwebs I can’t ignore them any more.

Athrawes Sun 17-Sep-23 12:05:34

DH and I are currently having a sort out of 'stuff' so there's no way I can do some Autumn cleaning even if I wanted to - but fortunately I don't as life is too short!

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Sep-23 12:10:33

Late Autumn was always the time for a clear out and clean of the kitchen cupboards and it really needs to be done this year.
I plan to do the fridge(s) in a moment, the freezers at some point in the next week or two as there are some UFOs in them from when DD was home.

The whole house has been a bit neglected and I have great plans for a thorough Autumn sort out and clean.
I rather like planning 😁

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Sep-23 12:11:52

No matter how often I clean the conservatory, the spiders mess it up again!

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Sep-23 12:13:32

Spray cobwebs silver and use as Christmas decorations

kittylester 😂😂😂
Brilliant!!

Hetty58 Sun 17-Sep-23 12:17:50

Cleaning? Autumn? Why? I'll wait until after the Christmas invasion, as that makes more sense.

AreWeThereYet Sun 17-Sep-23 13:36:18

I have a rota for cleaning all year round so the only time anything extra gets done is New Year, when everything has to be spick and span before the year begins 😄

Having said that I am just trying out cleaning the window surrounds with a peppermint soap to see if the mint smell really deters spiders - I like to have the windows open but don't like the spiders wandering in.

HousePlantQueen Sun 17-Sep-23 13:48:04

I cleaned out the cupboard under the kitchen sink this morning. Little jobs, one at a time as I am not a fan of cleaning. Clothes are next, due to weight loss the charity shop are getting a load of stuff

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Sep-23 15:16:40

HousePlantQueen

I cleaned out the cupboard under the kitchen sink this morning. Little jobs, one at a time as I am not a fan of cleaning. Clothes are next, due to weight loss the charity shop are getting a load of stuff

Little jobs, one at a time as I am not a fan of cleaning

Yes, that's the way!
I did do fridges and freezers this morning.
There were frozen leftover portions of cooked meals in the freezer and, if they've been there a while, I know we're not going to eat them.
Bottles of chilli/ various sauces - keep refrigerated for up to 4 weeks after opening (not four months).

Kitchen cupboards next. Some time soon.