Gransnet forums

House and home

Weighted blanket

(40 Posts)
Gangan2 Mon 13-Nov-23 20:49:28

Has anyone tried a weighted blanket to help with insomnia and if so did it help ?

Gangan2 Fri 17-Nov-23 02:27:43

Well I have purchased a very cheap one, possibly not as heavy as I should have and I am trying it out. 2.24am and I am wide awake( nothing unusual) and feeling fairly uncomfortable but I will keep trying to use it for a while! I certainly feel quite warm. .

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Nov-23 09:34:34

You didn't take any of the advice on here then, Gangan2 re trying heavier bedding piled on before buying one to see how you got on, and also getting the right weight? smile

Mollygo Fri 17-Nov-23 14:15:04

Actually, Sparklefizz, Yeah, I wish I’d read the “heavier bedding piled on” hint, even though the outcome delighted my DGS. I hate heavy bedding I prefer something light and soft that flops around me, preferably wrapped in a fleecy duvet cover.

Aveline Fri 17-Nov-23 17:10:45

A weighted blanket (from the top supplier) worked amazingly well for my DGS who really suffered from insomnia. He now falls asleep and stays asleep really well. Phew.

SunnySusie Fri 17-Nov-23 17:28:31

I bought one from John Lewis a couple of years ago, but I couldnt get on with it at all. Such a waste of money. I didnt like the weight and I found it suffocating. I never use synthetic bedding normally. I was so hot even in the coldest weather. I have tried passing it onto DD who has a lot of sleep issues, but she didnt like it either. Moral of story borrow one first to try if possible.

Shizam Fri 17-Nov-23 19:50:13

Have wondered about a weighted blanket as my bedroom is cold and I need warmth to sleep. Currently do various layers of duvet, blanket, heated throw, etc. Plus hot-water bottle. Seems to work. Can discard if I get too hot. Think I am morphing into an aged cat!

Joplin Sat 18-Nov-23 01:03:00

Slumberland, think

Gangan2 Sat 18-Nov-23 02:44:23

Sparklefizz

You didn't take any of the advice on here then, Gangan2 re trying heavier bedding piled on before buying one to see how you got on, and also getting the right weight? smile

I did read various links on here and worked out what weight I would need . I chose to go slightly lighter than recommended and I could always go heavier . Hence I bought a cheap one to start .
I don't have heavier bedding ' to pile on top ' who does really in this day and age of light weight duvets?!? I certainly don't have blankets etc .

karmalady Sat 18-Nov-23 06:52:06

All my bedding is either wool or pure linen. I have several good welsh blankets plus a wool duvet and it is so much better to sleep within natural fibres, fibres that `breathe` and allow temperature to be stable all night. I can add as much weight as I want, or not. I cannot bear synthetic bedding

Millymay Sat 18-Nov-23 07:02:10

karmalady

All my bedding is either wool or pure linen. I have several good welsh blankets plus a wool duvet and it is so much better to sleep within natural fibres, fibres that `breathe` and allow temperature to be stable all night. I can add as much weight as I want, or not. I cannot bear synthetic bedding

Sometimes it’s a matter of cost, though - not everyone can afford better quality blankets, covers, etc.

Gangan2 Sat 18-Nov-23 09:01:59

karmalady

Sounds wonderful, but unfortunately way out of my price range . I am sure in a perfect world most of use would enjoy similar.

Gangan2 Mon 20-Nov-23 19:23:02

Well I have now 'settled ' under the blanket and finding it rather cosy and snug and I think possibly sleeping a little better.
Am now going to try folding it in half and see how the weight feels...
The adventure continues!

karmalady Tue 21-Nov-23 07:24:30

Gangan2

karmalady

Sounds wonderful, but unfortunately way out of my price range . I am sure in a perfect world most of use would enjoy similar.

collected over a long time gangan, wool never wears out or gets mothy if stored properly and I also crocheted one blanket

Sparklefizz Tue 21-Nov-23 10:03:31

Gangan2

Well I have now 'settled ' under the blanket and finding it rather cosy and snug and I think possibly sleeping a little better.
Am now going to try folding it in half and see how the weight feels...
The adventure continues!

Good luck! Keep us posted smile