Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone use the Eco wash function on their dishwasher?

(89 Posts)
GrandmaT2010 Thu 27-Aug-26 17:20:56

Does anyone use the eco wash function on their dishwasher? Mine takes twice as long as my preferred wash. Is it really more economical?

Cossy Thu 27-Aug-26 17:21:44

No. There’s a quick wash shine function I often use as it’s quicker.

MiniMoon Thu 27-Aug-26 17:26:53

Always. I wash my dishes after 11pm when the electricity is off peak, using the timer delay function.

Jaxjacky Thu 27-Aug-26 17:29:13

We use it, the longer time is because it’s at a lower temperature and has a longer soaking time. Quick wash, hotter water, more expensive

GrandmaKT Thu 27-Aug-26 17:29:31

I used mine a few times when I first got my dishwasher. However, it takes 4hrs 40 mins (!) and doesn't work as well as the quickwash, so I use that now.

tanith Thu 27-Aug-26 17:31:57

We always use it it doesn't seem any longer.

Fairislecable Thu 27-Aug-26 17:48:05

I never use it but if I have one load already in the wash and a half load waiting, I put the half load to soak in the utility sink.

When the first lot is done I then put the soaked laundry on a quick 20 minute wash and it is lovely and clean in less than half the time.

MayBee70 Thu 27-Aug-26 17:50:45

I do but made the mistake of using it one morning before I was due to go on holiday not realising that it took forever. Having worked in catering prior to buying my first dishwasher I assumed they did a wash in lightning quick speed.

Bukkie Thu 27-Aug-26 17:55:16

No and I don't use it on my washing machine either. Both take too long.

Fairislecable Thu 27-Aug-26 17:58:11

Sorry I misread the DISH washer in the original thread - please ignore!

posset Thu 27-Aug-26 18:19:06

MiniMoon

Always. I wash my dishes after 11pm when the electricity is off peak, using the timer delay function.

Same here.

M0nica Thu 27-Aug-26 18:23:44

I use the short wash, that takes 1.5 hours. It is more than adequate.

ViceVersa Thu 27-Aug-26 18:37:45

I'm not sure if he has one...grin

aggie Thu 27-Aug-26 19:06:13

My dishwasher has an Ecco setting , takes 50 minutes , it’s the only programme i use

Charleygirl5 Thu 27-Aug-26 19:15:57

My quick wash takes 29 minutes whereas the eco wash around 4 hours. I occasionally use another wash if the dishes are particularly dirty and it takes around 2 hours 30 minutes.

Gwyllt Thu 27-Aug-26 19:19:09

I try to wash dishes when sun is shining as have big bank of solar panels

kittylester Thu 27-Aug-26 19:20:46

I do the hot wash on it's reduced setting. We use it overnight when we get cheap electricity.

JackyB Fri 28-Aug-26 00:51:15

I don't use the Eco programmes on the dishwasher or the washing machine. The dishwasher doesn't wash at the temperature it says on the eco setting and everything comes out with water droplet marks on, not properly dried and often not properly clean, so it's no economy because you have to wash things twice.

The German "Test" - the equivalent of "Which" measured the temperature of the water in a 60° eco programme - it was 27°!!! This shocked me and I haven't used the eco programme since. I often set it to a higher temperature than the one I want as the water is never heated to that temperature.

The default setting in the dishwasher is the eco programme and DH just presses the button if he switches it on, so it runs on that, and then I have to put half the dishes back in again because they come out not properly washed.

It's more important to make sure the filter is regularly cleaned out and the spray arms are not bunged up.

GrandmaT2010 Fri 28-Aug-26 09:01:27

Thank you for the replies. I prefer the quicker, shorter wash at 65 degrees rather than the eco at 50 degrees and will carry on using that.

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Aug-26 09:07:47

I do, all the info I’ve read has made me believe that it really is eco friendly, less energy and water used.
My dishwasher is about 25years old and still does a great job.
Probably not as efficient as a newer version but if I only have to have 2 dishwashers in my life rather than 3 then that’s also eco friendly isn’t it?

NotSpaghetti Fri 28-Aug-26 09:18:27

I have looked this up and YES eco is definitely a lot cheaper.
It does a lot of spray and soak and not so much heat.
Lower temperature but for a longer time is the same clean apparently.
Eco mode heats the water to a lower temperature because heating water uses ~90% of the energy. The eco cycle has lots of "sit" periods to soak through food debris.
I use it whenever I run the dishwasher at night.

JackyB Fri 28-Aug-26 09:23:33

We have PV panels so energy consumption is less of an issue. I try to run everything during the day to use power while the batteries are being replenished.

Rosie51 Fri 28-Aug-26 09:33:41

Many fire services including the London Fire Brigade do not recommend using high power use appliances like dishwashers or washing machines overnight because of the fire risk. Having met a family who lost everything but their lives when a dishwasher caught fire overnight I immediately stopped. It may cost a little more but it’s not a risk I’m prepared to take anymore.

Grantanow Fri 28-Aug-26 09:39:23

No. Takes far too long.

Samsara1 Fri 28-Aug-26 10:03:11

I do but now I'm thinking I shouldn't. Thankyou for the info.