Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone use the Eco wash function on their dishwasher?

(90 Posts)
GrandmaT2010 Thu 27-Aug-26 17:20:56

Does anyone use the eco wash function on their dishwasher? Mine takes twice as long as my preferred wash. Is it really more economical?

JenniRen Fri 28-Aug-26 10:10:46

The Eco setting on mine, temperature 50C, takes 4hrs 35mins whereas the Auto setting, where the temperature varies between 45C and 65C, takes 2hrs 20mins.

I only use Eco if I set it by mistake, as it's so difficult to cancel.

labazs Fri 28-Aug-26 12:54:36

on mine its a tabletop non plumbing one, i have eco quick fruit (for fruit washing) intense and air dry so covers all things! as only being me eco does me most the time. i am vegan and eat a lot of uncooked food like fruits etc so they do not mess the plates up much nor do my home made yoghurt bowls either. i am guessing the intense would be good for saucepans etc

karmalady Fri 28-Aug-26 13:00:43

Not for me. I use auto, which means I do smaller loads more economically

Scribbles Fri 28-Aug-26 13:04:25

I use Eco quite often if there's nothing greasy among the load. It takes almost 4 hours but I start the programme late at night so it's finished when I get up.

Davida1968 Fri 28-Aug-26 13:26:28

Yes, we use the Eco dishwasher programme most of the time. "Which", the UK consumer association has done studies which compare different dishwasher programms. (Worth reading, IMO: anyone can access this online - you don't have to be a member of Which.)
It does take hours, so on the few occasions we need a swifter dish-wash, we use another programme. (We find that Eco cleans as well as the other programmes, but we don't have much greasy stuff.)

dalrymple23 Fri 28-Aug-26 13:52:59

I am with you there, Rosie. I would never put any of those machines on without them being supervised. The fire risk is too great.

B9exchange Fri 28-Aug-26 14:07:32

Our dishwasher ECO setting takes 5 and a half hours, and if you hit the button by mistake there is no way you can cancel it.

MT62 Fri 28-Aug-26 15:17:06

Yes I have used it but I found glasses smelled like a dog bowl (no pets).
Gone back to 75 degrees.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 31-Aug-26 13:39:22

Yes, most of the time. I put the washer on last thing before we go to bed, so the dishes are clean for the morning.

Occasionally use the shorter hotter washes if there's greasy dishes or pans.

Barbadosbelle Mon 31-Aug-26 14:06:14

MiniMoon

I would never use overnight any appliances that heats - e.g. dishwasher, washing machine, tumbledryer.
I've read too many horrific and tragic news reports over the years about fires caused by doing so.

I believe that the Fire Services advises against doing so.

I recall that in 2008 Sir Terry Wogan and 'the current Lady Wogan' (!!!) went to bed (c) midnight sfter putting the tumble drier on. It overheated and started a fire. They didn't hear the smoke alarms but their daughter Katherine did and raised the alarm and alerted her parents.
Firemen spent over 2-hours containg the blaze. Luckily the door to the Laundry Room was a fire-door and was closed which slowed down the blaze.

Sir Terry said that if his daughter hadn't been there to hear the alarm then there would probably had been a very sad outcome.

When I read about it I stopped using all such appliances after bedtime. I also NEVER have the tumbledrier running at ANY TIME if I go out.
.

pen50 Mon 31-Aug-26 14:10:24

Ours doesn't seem to work very well, and I'm not convinced that the dishes that look okay are in fact are properly cleaned. I use the full fat program. OTOH most of my clothes are done at 30°, I only use higher temperatures for towels, sheets, underwear, and cleaning cloths.

crazyH Mon 31-Aug-26 14:20:19

My Eco wash takes much longer than any other wash. Why it’s called an ‘Eco’ wash, I’ll never know

dogsmother Mon 31-Aug-26 14:20:42

Always eco and always overnight on cheap rate electricity. Having experienced a fire from this previously I am NOT afraid as all systems are in place and it shouldn’t happen again. However as frightening as it was I also learned how quickly things could be dealt with.

crazyH Mon 31-Aug-26 14:22:15

Sometime up-thread mentioned using the DW after 11pm, because it’s cheaper. I didn’t realise that !

crazyH Mon 31-Aug-26 14:25:45

Dogsmother - can you please share your frightening experience and how you dealt with it

Eskay10 Mon 31-Aug-26 14:27:29

Have started to after doing research. It’s longer but cheaper and cleaner.

Babamaman Mon 31-Aug-26 14:34:08

Nooo because for both washing machine & dish washer eco takes longer and wastes electricity! I use ‘daily quick wash’! 50minutes on 40’ ! Perfect ! Eco is an expensive fad

MeowWow Mon 31-Aug-26 14:38:12

Yes, I always use it. It takes 3 hours and 15 minutes. I only use other settings very occasionally.

WelshPoppy Mon 31-Aug-26 14:43:45

Can't find one on mine

cc Mon 31-Aug-26 14:47:56

We'd normally use the AUTO programme because it is much shorter and because it adjusts to how dirty the washing up is. The ECON programme is just a standard length.

25Avalon Mon 31-Aug-26 14:50:43

No because it takes 3 hours 41 minutes. I use 30 minutes quick wash or hotter 50 minute express wash.

cc Mon 31-Aug-26 14:51:54

karmalady

Not for me. I use auto, which means I do smaller loads more economically

Yes, I agree, Auto adjusts to suit what you are washing. Also we live in a flat so don't really want to run the machine overnight as the noise can transmit to other properties.

Doodledog Mon 31-Aug-26 14:54:43

I use Eco. I'm not sure how long it takes, as I run it after we've eaten, so it doesn't matter. If I wanted to reuse things quickly I would hand wash them.

GrammaH Mon 31-Aug-26 14:59:57

No, never use eco, always the quick wash . Also, having known a fire fighter & heard horror stories, we never, ever have washer, dishwasher, tumble drier, phone chargers etc running overnight or whilst we're out. The risks are too great.

HobbyCat Mon 31-Aug-26 15:15:22

It’s eco because it’s better than a normal wash in terms of bills and the ENVIRONMENT. It uses less energy and less water which is why it takes a long time. My basic Curry’s tabletop dishwasher uses less water than manual washing up and everything is spotlessly clean.