Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone use the Eco wash function on their dishwasher?

(90 Posts)
GrandmaT2010 Thu 27-Aug-26 17:20:56

Does anyone use the eco wash function on their dishwasher? Mine takes twice as long as my preferred wash. Is it really more economical?

Doodledog Mon 31-Aug-26 21:16:26

I don't understand why it matters how long it takes - it's not as though you have to do anything whilst it's running.

I suppose if your house is configured so you have to sit in the same room it might be noisy, but I put mine on after dinner (at which point we move to the sitting room) and empty it in the morning while the kettle's boiling, so whether it takes ten minutes or three hours just doesn't matter.

Dempie55 Mon 31-Aug-26 21:16:27

No, because it’s 3 hours long on mine! I just use the 60° quick wash which is 38 minutes.

DevonshireSalop Mon 31-Aug-26 22:17:16

Always use the eco setting, doesn’t take too long, not as if I’m waiting for it to finish. I’ll use a hotter setting occasionally which will clean machine, pipes etc

lazydays Mon 31-Aug-26 23:52:15

We were told not to use it by our electrician so I haven’t he did explain the reasons and of course I’ve forgotten his explanation but it did make sense.

sazz1 Tue 01-Sept-26 12:17:03

The eco wash on my dishwasher leaves quite a few things still not clean. I do use lidl cheap dishwasher tablets though and it was much cleaner with finish tablets but not as gd as 50 or 60 degree washes.

Nannan2 Tue 01-Sept-26 22:07:08

No,i wont use Eco programme on either dishwasher or washer,as too long.My dishwasher has a 1 hour wash so i use it most of the time.My new washer has a 15 minute wash & a 45 min wash so i use those mostly.

M0nica Wed 02-Sept-26 18:54:00

Eco programmes are greenwash (sorry)

FranP Sun 06-Sept-26 00:31:51

ViceVersa

I'm not sure if he has one...grin

<LOL>

Norah Sun 06-Sept-26 13:56:25

Yes.

Shel1951 Mon 07-Sept-26 08:01:08

I do, I have solar panels and was told to use economical so that as the electricity is generated it is used without getting electricity from the grid, the programme says 4 hours approx but the door of my dishwasher opens around 2 hours later and counts down as the dishes dry naturally without using electricity, the washing machine is timed to turn on when the dishwasher has stopped for the same reason, the door also springs open after the wash finishes earlier than expected probably because it weighs the washing first in the drum.

Shel1951 Mon 07-Sept-26 08:08:30

On days I am in a hurry to get something washed I do use a quicker wash, I do have a battery connected to my panels but like to keep the power for sparse days or nights, my panels work on daylight doesn't have to be sunny but less is generated

JackyB Tue 08-Sept-26 08:40:12

For me having PV panels means I don't have to use the eco wash programmes, as electricity consumption is not a worry. (Water is, however, but these days, machines use considerably less water than the old kind.

I was doing a normal, non-eco, wash at 60° the other day and, by mistake, switched the dishwasher on simultaneously. I checked the.monitor and both machines together were using about 2000 kW, and we were producing over 3000 kW so still feeding 1000 kW into the grid.

I would never open the dishwasher while it's drying as the droplets then dry on the things in there particularly plastic and cutlery, and leave marks. The higher temperature in the enclosed space makes the water evaporate quicker, leaving less marks.

Shel1951 Tue 08-Sept-26 14:24:15

JackyB ,your very lucky ,we probably live in a cloudier area, I have 22 panels and still import, but thankfully when my dishwasher opens automatically I leave it till the countdown finishes and no water marks on cutlery etc,

LaCrepescule Tue 08-Sept-26 14:26:17

No, eco wash takes an age so use the quick wash function.