Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone use the Eco wash function on their dishwasher?

(90 Posts)
GrandmaT2010 Thu 27-Aug-26 17:20:56

Does anyone use the eco wash function on their dishwasher? Mine takes twice as long as my preferred wash. Is it really more economical?

Grandma600 Mon 31-Aug-26 15:17:07

Haven't used it since the dishwasher was new and I wanted to try all its functions. Eco wash was/is in excess of 3hrs, which is far too long. I use the standard or quick wash programmes, depending on what needs washing and whether I'm in a hurry or not
I love my dishwasher!smile

Marydoll Mon 31-Aug-26 15:22:13

Growing0ldDisgracefully

Yes, most of the time. I put the washer on last thing before we go to bed, so the dishes are clean for the morning.

Occasionally use the shorter hotter washes if there's greasy dishes or pans.

I have never left the dishwasher on overnight, since a pupil's dishwasher went on fire, while they were sleeping.
They lost their home and nearly their lives.

Realky Mon 31-Aug-26 15:25:13

I use it sometimes, it's almost 3 hrs, I just start it and leave it. It's much lower in the amount of water and electricity used according to the manufacturer booklet.

MaizieD Mon 31-Aug-26 15:30:07

Does anyone know what causes these dishwasher/washing machine fires?

I use the eco programme all the time in my 20+ year old dishwasher. It takes 140 minutes and everything comes out clean and dry (unless the spray arms have blockages in them) I put it on overnight because it is convenient.

Romola Mon 31-Aug-26 15:32:15

Also, the length of time it takes means that the enzymes in the tablet can "eat" any food debris, so that it's washed away without clogging up filters and pipes.
The eco cycle is deigned to be economical and better for the machine.

Greyduster Mon 31-Aug-26 15:34:41

I use the quick wash on mine. Twenty nine minutes at forty degrees. Does an excellent job. The eco wash is three hours fifteen minutes at fifty degrees.

Nannytopsy Mon 31-Aug-26 15:39:43

Eco wash uses much more water. In the current time, probably shouldn’t use it.

SaxonGrace Mon 31-Aug-26 15:40:04

I used it once and found it was roughly four hours, so never again

CarrotTop Mon 31-Aug-26 15:44:19

Yes, I use it all the time as it uses less electricity than the short programmes. I know it seems counter-intuitive but the machine has to work harder on a short wash, which burns up loads more energy than a slower, gentler wash. Once a month I run an empty load on the hottest setting, using white vinegar. Seems to work OK for me.

Peaseblossom Mon 31-Aug-26 15:56:01

Contrary to what some people are saying, the Eco wash does not use more electricity and water. I listened to a consumer programme and they were discussing it with an expert. I use the one hour programme. I like to be there when it's working and always go straight away and dry the bottoms of the mugs, etc. off so everything dries properly.
As for Terry Wogan leaving a tumble dryer on and going to bed, that's crazy, as in the morning the clothing, or whatever was in there would be in a heap and very creased. (Miss Terry Wogan, loved his Janet and John stories, he had the talent to cheer people up, he always managed to make me smile). Tumble dryers are good at removing creases if you remove the items quickly. I don't have one. Couldn't afford the extra cost of electricity and don't have any room for one.

KnittyNannie Mon 31-Aug-26 15:59:15

I always use it. According to Which? Consumer magazine, it’s cheaper to run the eco wash than it is to run the quick wash.

Pimmi Mon 31-Aug-26 16:04:33

Advice from the fire service to a friend was not to use any washing appliances or tumble drier overnight because it's a fire risk and you're likely asleep if a fire should it happen and therefore at greater risk. The tumble drier was the culprit this time and she was out of her house for months while her house was made liveable again. I never use these things overnight

Nightsky2 Mon 31-Aug-26 16:10:40

Yes we always use the eco wash and the dishes are always nice and clean, happy with it but would never leave it on overnight. There’s always a risk so I wouldn’t be able to sleep as I would worry.

Welshy Mon 31-Aug-26 16:12:49

ViceVersa

I'm not sure if he has one...grin

Very Good grin

Vintagegirl Mon 31-Aug-26 16:29:34

not a pleasant job but I try to shedule a clean of the d washer filter once a month.

Quizzer Mon 31-Aug-26 16:48:28

I use the quick eco wash on mine. Cleans everything, just doesn’t always dry so well.

Lilyflower Mon 31-Aug-26 17:23:34

Quick wash if needed in the day. Eco overnight.

dogsmother Mon 31-Aug-26 17:31:29

CrazyH. All sleeping, fire/smoke alarm went off. I put my head under my pillow whilst husband went into hallway stood on a chair trying to stop it from going off! Very sensible son came downstairs and asked what we were doing!!!!! It was obviously a fire and he called 999. My dogs didn’t even bark they were as daft as us, they just went and hid in the garden. Anyhow fire engines arrived quickly and fire was already managed by us at this point.
But we switched to a fully linked alarm system. It was a dishwasher fire. And amazing/ frightening how quickly things spread.

lizzypopbottle Mon 31-Aug-26 17:51:18

As others have said, I set mine going, always with a full load, last thing at night. It doesn't matter how long it takes, the dishes etc. are clean in the morning. I do find it doesn't dry quite so well. According to the Which report, it will save a significant amount of money. If I can find the details about that, I'll post them up. I think they also reckon it really is much more economical than washing dishes by hand. They have no financial interest in promoting dishwashers!

Diplomat Mon 31-Aug-26 18:03:59

Someone once came from Thames Water to advise us on water efficiency. Using the eco wash on the dishwasher was recommended, we put it on overnight.

watermeadow Mon 31-Aug-26 18:04:30

I haven’t got a dishwasher now but the same applies to Eco wash on a washing machine. It takes hours. I wash most loads at 30 degrees, saving the world and electricity and time.

lizzypopbottle Mon 31-Aug-26 18:13:32

OK I haven't found their comparison of the cost of running a dishwasher or washing by hand. However I did find while searching their website that a dishwasher used 80% less water than an equivalent load washed by hand and even less on eco mode.

They do say that if you have very few dishes it may be cheaper to wash by hand but I can say, hand on heart, that I never run mine until it's full. If your water is metred, you could make a significant saving by using a dishwasher, especially on eco mode.

I'll keep looking for the cost comparison.

grannygranby Mon 31-Aug-26 18:38:20

I used to, then my daughter had a Siemens engineer in to fix hers ( we both have a Siemens) and he told her not to use eco but use the two hour one. Now there is a new fairy 30 minute miracle capsule I use the shortest wash.

twiglet77 Mon 31-Aug-26 19:54:18

I do sometimes use the eco programme on the dishwasher, which takes around 3 1/2 hours, eg if I’m putting it on after my supper, but not on the washing machine.

Kate22 Mon 31-Aug-26 21:04:09

Hi,
It’s definitely much economical as is the eco programme on a washing machine. I heard a money saving expert on Radio 4 and he said it’s the same as driving your car at 40 miles an hour or at 70 miles an hour, the first speed is slower but uses far less petrol so use eco programmes as the principle is the same. . I always think of that when I can’t be bothered to put the eco programme on because of the time it takes!