Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

What a fun night....

(32 Posts)
Nanadog Fri 23-Nov-12 15:48:11

MrDog and myself have invited out DS and DD round tonight for a fun evening to discuss the Wills we are having drawn up and the Lasting Powers of Attorney (both Financial and Health & Welfare).
Has anyone else experience of having this discussion with their family? hmm
What is the etiquette? Do we provide drinks and nibbles or sit around a table?
All advice gratefully received.

FlicketyB Sat 24-Nov-12 16:50:32

Its something that has always been a subject of general discussion in our family. My sister was killed in a road accident when she was 46 and left no will. She was not married so her estate was divided between the family by laws of intestacy but then my parents, who didnt want any of her estate, apart from some of her belongings had to organise a Deed of Variation to transfer their share to their surviving children.

Following this they revised their wills and set up Powers of Attorney. KittyLester you can appoint several executors so in theory all your children could be executors, although to many could be aproblem and it is best to have siblings that get on well together.

We have done the same thing and at different times as I variously dealt with the care of three sets of elderly relatives we have discussed all sorts of end of life issues and I have absolute confidence in putting my life in their hands when (and if) I am unable to express my own wishes.

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 17:14:48

Apparently you can appoint as many executors as you want. However only four executors will be able to apply for a grant of probate following your death and so there is little point naming more than four executors in your will. If you are the lady with 14 children kitty then good luck choosing!

kittylester Sat 24-Nov-12 17:20:53

Only 5 but it's a nightmare trying to decide. We started off by asking middle daughter (child 4) who is the most 'businessy' and very fair and clear thinking but she was horrified about what the others might say. Younger son and youngest daughter aren't always the best of friends. Grrrr - next time round I'm only having 2 children - one boy and one girl! grin

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 17:25:14

See your problem kitty ....hmm

Ella46 Sat 24-Nov-12 17:40:55

Kitty I had one boy and one girl.......they don't speak!!!

kittylester Sun 25-Nov-12 09:51:13

That's ruined that plan then Ella grin