Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

"For the love of money is the root of all....

(37 Posts)
Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 10:18:33

Is it me? I was always taught that boasting talking about your financial affairs was vulgar. Have things changed so much these days and is it now acceptable to let the world at large know exactly what you're worth? Or is it just the some people have never been taught learned this?

glammanana Sun 24-Mar-13 10:25:15

My mum always taught me and have passed it on to my DCs "manners maketh the man" but not in this case it seems.

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 10:39:42

Sorry Glamma have I said something to upset you? confused

Ella46 Sun 24-Mar-13 10:43:19

I think Glam may have meant 'he who shall not be named'!

absent Sun 24-Mar-13 10:43:21

Orca I too was told it was vulgar to talk about the value of your property, savings, jewellery, etc. or how much you earned or the size of a salary increase, except within the family. I think the housing boom changed all that because people would talk about and, indeed, gloat over how their property had increased in value since the previous week. I still think it is vulgar.

absent Sun 24-Mar-13 10:44:22

Actually, it's probably also sad if that is someone's main topic of conversation.

glammanana Sun 24-Mar-13 10:47:20

Orca not at all what I was saying is that it's vulgar to discuss things such as money,and anyone with manner's wouldn't do this,maybe it was the way it came out on the post I am known for getting things back to front it's a blonde thingy grinflowers

glammanana Sun 24-Mar-13 10:50:14

Ella46 Thats what I meant in the beginning but it came out wrong "again".Thanks flowers

nanaej Sun 24-Mar-13 10:51:46

I am unable to talk about my financial affairs as I do not really understand them..just if I am in the 'black or 'red'! I do sometimes admire people who know how /when to switch accounts etc to get better rates..or who has half an idea what the budget is all about! hmm

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 10:51:57

I can understand if someone is having financial problems telling someone "sorry I can't afford that" and I respect that honesty and attitude. I suspect there are many GNetters who are financially secure due to a mixture of good luck, secure work, good health and sound investments. And I know there are some who struggle often due to factors beyond their control.
But I'd never dream of revealing my true worth on a public forum.

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 10:52:51

Understood glam

absent Sun 24-Mar-13 10:57:19

Orca A public forum is tactless and rude enough but someone revealing/boasting about all over the dinner table is a thousand times worse – especially when they are a guest.

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 11:07:55

Agreed. I'd probably never invite them in the first place Absent and certainly not a second time.

gracesmum Sun 24-Mar-13 11:18:22

It is also the root of boredom - but if I may take issue Orca you say you would never reveal your "true worth" on a public forum, I am sure you and most GNetters would agree that your worth is nothing to do with money !
I can think of few people (other than 1 though,) whose interpretation of "true worth" has anything to do with money.

kittylester Sun 24-Mar-13 11:29:46

It's knowing the cost of everything and the and the value of nothing, isn't it? I can't remember who first said that but I was impressed to hear Rod Stewart say it this week.

HUNTERF Sun 24-Mar-13 11:33:26

Some of the people who wanted my father's ex to have the house said I had £10,000,000 in the bank.
If they can point out where it is I will let her relatives have the house.

Frank

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 11:34:53

Grace don't be pedantic. The thread is about money.

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 11:37:35

It is a virus.

Movedalot Sun 24-Mar-13 11:38:16

Kitty I agree.

I am happy to talk about money and how best to save or protect it but not about my money/house/car etc. I don't think anyone on GN has any idea of what my financial situation is.

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 11:38:27

Frank who cares? Change the b****y tune.

nightowl Sun 24-Mar-13 11:47:27

I love that saying kitty but just had to google it to remind myself who said it. The answer - Oscar Wilde - who else would it be? smile

gracesmum Sun 24-Mar-13 11:48:31

Sorry!! Didn't mean to offend, my point is precisely that a person's worth cannot be expressed in monetary terms.So the thread may be about money all you like - it is not about worth.

Orca Sun 24-Mar-13 11:49:53

Who else indeed? I'm turning into a GN addict, and a grumpy one at that. Off out.

nightowl Sun 24-Mar-13 11:56:27

Orca me too smile [grumpy addict] emoticon here as well.

Gracesmum sunshine

Frank, I have to say you make me smile. I can't decide whether you are taking the pee or whether you really are just one of life's true eccentrics who has extraordinary experiences on a daily basis.

Ana Sun 24-Mar-13 11:58:12

I agree with you about Frank, nightowl! smile