Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Are cryptocurrencies a good way of money investments?

(33 Posts)
Xymox Tue 27-Mar-18 18:34:51

Anyone tried them? How much did you get?

hildajenniJ Tue 27-Mar-18 19:08:54

I know a young man who bought Bitcoin from its beginning. He made a profit, but I'd be wary. I read the following recently.

"The value of bitcoin appears to be on the rise again, after it fell by almost $9,000 in a matter of days.

The notoriously volatile cryptocurrency is expected to carry on fluctuating unpredictably, which is why numerous financial experts are urging people not to get involved with it, believing the boom can only end badly."

Elegran Tue 27-Mar-18 20:10:09

Like Dutch tulip mania? All very exciting until the inevitable crash. See graph of Gouda tulip bulb prices, Dec 1 1634 to Feb 5 1637

And like the South Sea Bubble? If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Cherrytree59 Tue 27-Mar-18 20:15:44

I think we had a similar thread few weeks ago.
Not sure exactly when.
It may have been the middle of February.
Could be wrongsmile

Mania Wed 28-Mar-18 15:13:27

It depends on for what purposes you need them and also how much money you can invest in general. Usually for the start it's recommended for newbies to have a start capital for getting more profit. Also everything depends on changes of prices for certain cryptocurrencies and they're very unpredictable and unstable, you'll need always to monitor them and control your operations for getting more money. Usually too popular strategies are used for this, simple buying and trading, and mining, however in case of the last one usually cloud mining as a more convinient upgrade of it is chosen smile That happens mostly because for saving money in case of expensive equipment and electricity, and there are a lot of special companies which solve these problems, you need just to sign up with them. But in this case only really safe and well-trusted ones like Hashing 24, Genesis Mining, Hashflare hashflarecode.com/ , Eobot and so on should be chosen because there's much scam for such companies and you can easily lose all your money. As I know one of my friends earned with various strategies smth like several thousands of dollars per month but he put really much energy in this.
So in my opinion cryptocurrencies are a good additional way of earning money but making them your only one object of investment won't make you really rich, especially in a long perspective.

petra Thu 29-Mar-18 17:30:11

I took a punt on Bitcoin when it started.
I made a good profit when I sold. Should I have held on to them, who knows, I haven't got a crystal ball.
I treated them like shares. If you can't afford to loose, don't do it.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Mar-18 18:09:17

Very brave petra!

I am too cautious.

Mark4art Wed 18-Apr-18 13:51:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Greyduster Wed 18-Apr-18 14:40:02

Bloody Hell! confused

Charleygirl Wed 18-Apr-18 15:55:42

that is double Dutch to me- I will stick with premium bonds which I understand.

Dreams Fri 18-May-18 14:49:55

M0nica Fri 18-May-18 21:06:17

Are cryptocurrencies a good way to make money?

No.

SwayYourDay Mon 28-May-18 08:35:11

annsixty Mon 28-May-18 08:42:16

Cloud mining?
Cryptocurrencies?
Bit coins?
Have I lived too long,it is meaningless?

DavidChandler Fri 01-Jun-18 23:15:23

MawBroon Sat 02-Jun-18 02:23:26

Reported

Worenny Thu 31-Oct-19 20:18:53

Elegran Thu 31-Oct-19 20:42:04

The logical answer must be that investing in bitcoins is no different than investing in anything else that might go up in value, or might go down - stocks and shares, modern art, potato futures, or stockpiling items that you think may be in short supply after Brexit and so could be worth buying in bulk to resell when others are desperate to buy. You could even regard learning to play poker really well as a means to boosting your future income - until you meet someone who plays even better.

Just remember - what goes up could come down.

mistatwista Wed 13-Nov-19 19:34:22

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 19:41:16

Reported

Frank197 Sat 24-Jun-23 19:42:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Sat 24-Jun-23 19:44:57

Reported.
He’s posted the same message on 3 forums, so far. All reported

Frank197 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:13:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Georgesgran Sat 24-Jun-23 20:14:40

Reported - again!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 24-Jun-23 20:49:27

Keep it up Georgesgran! You’re playing a blinder!