Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

paying a euro bill from a UK account

(27 Posts)
Fennel Mon 08-Oct-18 18:06:36

After moving back from France in Feb. we've got another bill to pay from France, taxes foncieres which is like council tax. But we've closed our french bank account.
Any brilliant ideas about how to do it? I've been puzzling over it all day. Don't want to incur big bank charges here (Lloyds).

gillybob Mon 08-Oct-18 18:10:50

We sometimes have to pay bills in Euros (at work) * Fennel* and have no choice but to do it via our bank ( in branch) as we do not have a facility to pay in Euros ourselves. I agree the costs are ridiculous but I don’t think there is any other way . Sorry I can’t come up with a solution, unless you know someone who does bank in Euros and they would do it for you and you could settle with them privately? Good luck .

Welshwife Mon 08-Oct-18 18:15:29

Have you got the international bank number on what I assume is your Fonciére bill.? If you have you could maybe do an international transfer - or have a look at Transferwise,and there are a couple of others. which do that sort of thing.

Teacheranne Mon 08-Oct-18 18:20:21

I don't know if this helps but I regularly transfer money to my son in the US through an international transfer. I state how much in pounds I want to give him and the dollars appear in his bank account. It costs me £25 each time, which I do not think is too bad.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Oct-18 18:24:18

I ve paid overseas bills for family and the bank automatically changes it to whatever currency you need there is a bank charge though I usually pay about £9 extra

BlueBelle Mon 08-Oct-18 18:25:22

Wow £25 a big fee Travel mines through Lloyd’s and it’s never been more than £9 or 10

Welshwife Mon 08-Oct-18 18:25:56

PayPal for family is much cheaper - I use that for family in US.

Fennel Mon 08-Oct-18 18:26:08

Welshwife There's no international number but my bank here suggested writing to them to ask for it (SWIFT in english).
It costs £1.25 to send a simple letter to France. Much more if registered.
Gilly someone else suggested asking an english friend in France to pay it and re-imbursing them in sterling.
What about paying by card? Credit or debit.

Eglantine21 Mon 08-Oct-18 18:27:48

Can’t you pay by credit card? I’m probably being tres naive ? about this. When I pay for my timeshare in Portugal I just use my Saga card.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Oct-18 18:29:00

You can ring your bank or if you still have friends there get them to text you the bank info you just need the Swift code I paid a bill fir my daughter in Europe just last week and it cost me £9

Fennel Mon 08-Oct-18 18:58:28

Eglantine what info do you need from your payee to do that?

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 19:56:00

www.fxcompared.com/money-transfer/france.php

You could look at this, or similar sites Fennel

I know when DD transferred some money to me ages ago she got a one-off charge-free as an inducement to use the firm again, but sorry, I can't remember which one it was.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 19:58:04

www.money.co.uk/money-transfers/money-transfer-to-europe.htm
I think DD used the first one on the list

gillybob Mon 08-Oct-18 20:15:41

Thank you for that Fennel but the company we pay does not accept cards of any kind . Just checked and our bank charges me £21 to do an international transfer of around 480 EUR . Which is a lot of money . shock

Eglantine21 Mon 08-Oct-18 20:28:44

Fennel, They send me a bill, I just ring up and give my card details. But it’s probably like Gilly who can’t use a card with the company she deals with.

I suppose I just thought everyone worked on cards nowadays. Totally ignorant really. Just putting my oar in?

M0nica Mon 08-Oct-18 22:56:31

We regularly transfer money from our British bank to France to pay bills on our maison secondaire. We have just transferred money, in euros to the bank to pay the Taxe Fonciere.

I have the printout in front of me. It is called an International Payment Request You need the bank account details of the authority whose account you wish to pay into and identifying details from the Tax Fonciere bill, numero de proprietaire, possible numero fiscal.

We have just transferred 1,000 euros to our account and it cost £9.50

Beau Mon 08-Oct-18 23:29:54

My job involved making large international payments - I think SWIFT is now called BIC (bank identifier code) and EURO payments need an IBAN number rather than a BIC - this should be cheaper as it automates the payment.

GrandmaKT Mon 08-Oct-18 23:48:52

I've used a company called CurrencyFair. Their fees are much less than banks and very efficient. (You will need a SWIFT/BIN number)

Fennel Tue 09-Oct-18 10:46:26

Thanks to all. I've just laboriously written a letter asking for all that information.
M0nica we don't have an account in France now.

M0nica Tue 09-Oct-18 14:53:35

Fennel I appreciate that, but you should be able to use the same system pay the money direct to the Tresor Public.

br0adwater Tue 09-Oct-18 15:20:31

I use this: www.currencyfair.com

Fennel Tue 09-Oct-18 18:02:54

I'll try that M0nica.
I also wondered if they used paypal.
Another idea, thanks br0adwater.

Fennel Wed 10-Oct-18 09:15:32

M0nica - I've now found the part on my online bank account for international payments. So hopefully can do it myself when I've got their bank details.

MawBroon Wed 10-Oct-18 09:22:05

My RBS online homepage has a section for international payments. I expect they all do.

jeanie99 Wed 10-Oct-18 09:41:58

Why not pay by credit card it's only the same as making a purchase. There will be no fee involved, I regularly pay in US$.