Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Safest way to Buy on Line

(82 Posts)
Sparkling Sun 17-May-20 06:58:01

I have never used the Internet to buy anything, very nervous because of fraud. Lock down has made it necessary to bite the bullet. Has anyone got advice for me, should I open Pay Pal or buy by credit or debit card. Thank you.

Esspee Sun 17-May-20 07:01:31

I believe credit card is the safest. When Thomas Cook folded our bank had the airfare we had paid them back in our account within a week.

Sparkling Sun 17-May-20 07:12:42

Thank you Esspee

Furret Sun 17-May-20 07:13:03

No, don’t open PayPal. They are fine until something goes wrong and then you cannot get hold of anyone to help. Credit cards are useful for anything over £100 then you have protection.

The safest way is to only use companies you know and trust eg Amazon, M&S, Sainsbury’s etc. Sadly with the current situation I’ve had to use other smaller companies and somehow I had fraud on my account. Luckily my bank spotted something and stopped my debit card and issued a new one.

It wouldn’t have mattered too much as I have two bank accounts and only use one for online transactions. I only keep £100-200 in this account and top it up as necessary so if anything does go wrong there’s very little to lose.

If you are using Amazon you can buy yourself a gift card on there and just top that up as required and remove any bank details afterwards.

Just my experience - hope that helps.

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 07:16:48

I've banked and shopped online for decades - with never a problem. I find PayPal very secure and convenient for one off small purchases, like sacks of bird food from Ebay, as I don't have to give my details every time, it's stored and done automatically.

For larger purchases, I tend to use my credit card (paid back every month) for the extra consumer protection it gives. My boss once booked a holiday with her debit card, the firm went bust - and she lost her money. If only she'd used her credit card, she would have been refunded.

For smaller stuff and supermarket deliveries, I use my debit card, though. I look at the web address when making a payment, just to check for a secure site sign e.g. https (the s indicates secure) and a padlock in the browser.

Fraud is mainly attempted on fake websites and through phishing emails rather than general buying online.

Furret Sun 17-May-20 07:24:53

Never visited a fake website or answered a phishing email in my life.

SueH49 Sun 17-May-20 07:33:44

I much prefer to use PayPal for online purchases. I've only ever had one issue in over 20 years and it was resolved very quickly.

PayPal means I am not giving out my card details to various places and PayPal also has other advantages. I've used it to pay money to friends and also to receive payments from overseas contacts. No bank fees to pay on those which makes it better for all concerned IMO.

If someone pays into my PayPal account I can choose whether I have it deposited into my linked card account or leave it in my PP account in which case any purchases are paid from my balance rather than from my card.

dragonfly46 Sun 17-May-20 07:40:52

What the others said although I haven’t had any problem with PayPal and find it safer for transactions abroad.

Shelmiss Sun 17-May-20 07:49:22

Paypal is absolutely fine to use for online shopping. You can add your credit card details to paypal so that means you can use them too, but through paypal. If there are any issues, for instance if you don’t receive an order, then they are very good at refunding.

annep1 Sun 17-May-20 07:55:26

I use Paypal as much as possible but some good advice here re other methods.

GrannyLaine Sun 17-May-20 07:59:55

Agree with previous posters, PayPal is easy and secure and I have never had a problem in the many years I have been using it. I'd say more secure than a credit card as you don't have to enter card details when you purchase.

Grammaretto Sun 17-May-20 08:23:05

I use PayPal for convenience and ease-though I once had trouble with it and have heard some horror stories however that was then and I think it has improved and takes its security seriously now.

I have just last week managed an international transaction using a credit card. Because the post has virtually stopped into New Zealand, I found a NZ florist who didn't use paypal but would accept a credit card. and the flowers arrived on the birthday! The birthday card still hasn't got there.

I hope you succeed in biting the bullet and dealing with this.
I have also started online banking which is a godsend as we are shielding and cannot go to a Bank or a shop

Marydoll Sun 17-May-20 08:42:06

Another tip is to check that there is a padlock at the beginning of the URL, the address at the top of the page.
Look for sites with the address: https, which means, it is secure if you are entering sensitive information.

Https is fine if you are just browsing the web.

NannyJan53 Sun 17-May-20 08:50:04

I always use my credit card for online purchases. That way there is no access to my bank account. The limit on my credit card is £1000.

Blinko Sun 17-May-20 08:57:51

I use PayPal on the advice of DS who's an IT whizz. I've never had an issue, even when I made a mistake the money was credited to my account, no problem. I also use a credit card.

I never use my debit card other than occasionally if I need to draw cash, as I feel it's a conduit to my bank account.

Blinko Sun 17-May-20 08:58:23

Good advice there, Marydoll.

Callistemon Sun 17-May-20 09:55:07

Lots of good advice on here.

The only time I had a problem was when I had to phone a firm about a mix up with an order and the person on the other end said she would sort it for me over the phone - I had to cancel an order where I had used a credit card and used another credit card to re-order.
Both were compromised. A reputable firm but one rogue employee had a shopping spree on both my credit cards.
I did get the money back from the credit card companies eventually.

Never give your card number out over the phone.

LadyGracie Sun 17-May-20 09:55:14

PayPal is much the safest way to purchase online, if the site does not accept PayPal I would only then use a credit card.

I also only use my debit card to draw cash.

Pittcity Sun 17-May-20 09:58:24

I use PayPal or GooglePay wherever possible. Your details are transmitted as a different random number every time so your account numbers are never sent. If these are not accepted I always use a credit card not a debit card.

Caro57 Sun 17-May-20 09:58:39

Shop online a lot - always use debit / credit card not Paypal. I don’t save my bank details to any site. Always type in the website and do not use links from emails etc.

Rosalyn69 Sun 17-May-20 10:14:26

I do what Caro57 does. Don’t save your card details.
I buy a lot online and always have but I tend to use the same sites. I don’t use eBay at all.

Craftycat Sun 17-May-20 10:20:35

I buy most things online rather than go to the shopping centre. It is quick & easy.
I use Paypal a lot if the sites I use take it.
The only thing I don't but online is food- I like to choose my own things rather than have someone else choosing it for me. That way I get long sell by dates & the nicest looking fruit 7 veg.

Juicylucy Sun 17-May-20 10:25:11

Another vote for credit/ debit card, never used PayPal. Ive never had any issues and being buying online for about 5 years.

polnan Sun 17-May-20 10:25:25

I have used Amazon and Paypal for years, now you have made me nervous... a friend of mine had someone use her paypal, took some time, but eventually paypal refunded her money.

I use Sainsburys for my food online.

Missedout Sun 17-May-20 10:25:44

I use PayPal too but it's not so straightforward if you are paying for goods to be sent to an address other than your own. In that case, I use a credit card.