Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Wills and leaving to grandchildren

(132 Posts)
Thoro Wed 13-Jan-21 18:11:21

Would really like GN’s thoughts on this. I have three children and the will I made a few years ago leaves my estate to be divided equally between them (their father died many years ago and present husband and I keep our own finances).
The two older ones have passed the age of having children however the youngest one has an almost 3 year old and his wife is due to give birth to twins any day now!
Any thoughts on changing my will to give my youngest additional support if I do pass away (I am 70 and quite healthy but you never know). Not over keen on leaving anything in trust but don’t know how the other two would feel if I left more to their younger brother. Any thoughts please. (I’ve got some savings plus half the house)

Cid24 Sun 17-Jan-21 08:31:28

I would divide equally between your adult children , and nothing for the grandchildren. It’s up to the GC parent then. And doesn’t penalise your other two AC for not having children

Mooney59 Sun 17-Jan-21 09:54:32

Takes me a while to think about some things like this. No you should not give one more help than the other UNLESS the other agrees to it. One may be a millionaire and the other on benefits. Why should either benefit more. They shouldn't. However if it was my sister and you asked me I would possibly NOT defininately agree provided that help was done properly, drip fed, used to buy property in both our names etc. You get the drift. You must not treat them unequally it is wrong unless they agree to it.

kircubbin2000 Sun 17-Jan-21 09:56:36

That seems a good idea Cid. I have an estranged adult gs who has been very vindictive and nasty. I have not seen him for years and probably never will.His father doesn't have contact either but I suppose it's up to him .

Lin663 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:23:04

If you make a difference between them you will destroy their relationships with each other. Just do equal splits.

GrauntyHelen Sun 17-Jan-21 21:23:12

Don't favour one child it will cause problems

Rene72 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:23:14

My father outlived my mother by 20 years so to cut a long story short.....my sister was always begging money off them. When mum was alive she begged £10 every Monday off mum till she got her money on Tuesday (her husband was alcoholic and never worked) She had 6 children and mum gave her £10 for the kids and £10 for doing her hair every Saturday. I’d done her hair until my husbands job took us out of the area for nothing and as my mum, I wouldn’t have dreamt of charging her. All the family supported her, buying clothes, food etc, for the children, including me.
Years after mum died about and 5 years before dad did, he said he was leaving his house to be sold and shared between my sister and I and the money to be shared equally among the grandchildren but he wasn’t leaving any to great grandchildren.
When he was taken ill and moved into a hospice 2 weeks before he died neither my sister nor any of her children told me, then my son got a call from her son to say he hadn’t got long if I wanted to see him. I don’t understand why non of them rang me, it wasn’t as if I didn’t speak to them. I went the next morning and was told he’d been unconscious (due to the drugs) for 5 days. I was not told when or where his ashes were put nor asked if I wanted to be there! 3 months later I got a call to say he had left me some money, a measly amount. I was told I couldn’t have a copy of the will, So eventually I got one through the government website and I found out he’d left his house to my sister and all his money to be shared between my sister and her children and he’d cut my children off completely leaving them absolutely nothing even my favourite niece who he never bothered with and I did, got a big share of his will. He changed his will one day before he went unconscious and I think my sister, her son and daughter changed the will but I can’t prove it. It was NOT typed at the solicitors. His signature was on the will but as he was blind I don’t see how he knew what was in it, the solicitor was a friend of sister’s daughter, (she worked at the same solicitors) the witness, my sisters best friend. My sister, her daughter and son also had access to his bank account and she admitted she took money out of his account, even buying him a big telly a couple of months before he died! What for? He was blind!
3 weeks after he died my sister and her whole family, in law’s included, except my niece who lives abroad, went on holiday to Spain. They even put all the photos on Facebook, was that to rub the salt in the wound for when we found out about the will?
My sister was dad’s favourite and could do no wrong, while I was always the black sheep of the family so I expect she would have found it easy to ‘change’ his mind at the last ‘minute’!
You should treat all your children equally. This will has caused a massive unrepairable rift in the family and the hatred is palpable, he’s been dead 2 1/2 years now and I don’t understand how my sister could have done this to her only sister or allow our father to do it either because I just couldn’t!