Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Do you use Internet banking?

(116 Posts)
Shinamae Mon 19-Apr-21 10:35:38

A couple of years ago I left my High Street bank and opened an account with First direct which is purely online. I am quite happy with it but I’m getting a bit worried about all the stories about hacking.The rate they are closing High Street banks as well looks like in the not too distant future online banking may be the only option....Thoughts please

Guntew183 Tue 20-Apr-21 12:55:04

I have banked online for years, never had a problem. I have recently switched to Touch ID (fingerprint) to log in which is so much easier.

Blossoming Tue 20-Apr-21 12:58:26

I wouldn’t be telling people which banks I have online accounts with on an open forum. There will be crawlers harvesting the data on Gransnet and many other sites ?.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 20-Apr-21 13:11:07

wildswan16

I'm OK using online banking on my laptop but I can't get myself to install the app on my mobile. Not sure why, but I feel much less confident going online on my phone.

Me too. Never on my phone as I think it’s easier to lose your phone or have it stolen.

cc Tue 20-Apr-21 13:20:52

I've banked online for years, though I did resist it at first because I didn't think it would be safe. I do it on my mobile and my computer. I think that, provided you don't save your password anywhere, it is pretty safe. However if you save your password on Google and lose your phone you're just asking for trouble.
I very rarely use cash for anything now and they are threatening to close the only local cashpoint so I really don't see how anyone can avoid using internet banking in future - though I do understand how anyone who doesn't use computers must be very nervous about doing it.
My mother (sadly no longer alive) had terrible trouble remembering her PIN in her 80's and always had to go inside the branch as her card was swallowed every time. The cashiers were lovely and knew her by sight so there was no problem.

Purplepoppies Tue 20-Apr-21 13:25:34

You can (with most banking apps) set up alerts so if money comes in or out you'll be alerted. For those of you who are more security anxious this may help you?
I have been Internet banking for years. Much prefer not having to deal with copius amounts of bank statements that need shredding/burning at some point!
I have only had one real issue and I'm not sure that was Internet related actually ?
My bank earmarked money for a transaction I definitely hadn't made. Took 10 days to resolve.

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:29:12

Been using it ever since it became available. It gives me a much tighter grip on finances as I can log on at anytime. I get alerts when money is withdrawn so would know if there was any fraud going on. Seems to me that over the years it has become more and more safe as they up their security. No need for paper statements and when necessary to is much easier to search for transactions on line. Now that you can deposit cheques online, there is no need for me to visit the bank.

Since the start of Covid I have become converted to using a card rather than cash. I don't see myself returning to using cash any time soon. I'd be lost without Internet banking and my Monzo card. Interestingly though, I cannot quite get around to paying for things using my phone. I guess we all have our little quirks.

keeno Tue 20-Apr-21 13:31:31

I do online banking from my laptop - my only designated device, and my phone is used as a safety check.
The bank is checking more often now, and I'm happy to confirm it really is me by entering the passcodes they send to my phone.
They say they'll be doing extra checks for online shopping soon. I'm pleased about that.
Be alert and careful.

Bijou Tue 20-Apr-21 13:35:56

In the 1960s I banked with what was then the Midland Bank now HSBC. Thirty years ago when I moved to a village where the nearest bank was twenty miles away I joined the phone bank First Direct part of HSBC. I have had no problems whatsoever all the years. All bills paid by Direct debit including the credit card. Paper statement monthly.
One occasion I was buying something on line when I put in the card number wrongly then corrected it. I had a phone call from the bankto ask if it was me who was making the transaction. I trust them.

Jaffacake2 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:42:12

Annaram1

I don't do internet banking because I am afraid of being hacked and my small amount taken.

Feel the same. Do phone banking and have paper monthly statements.

readalot Tue 20-Apr-21 13:44:00

I've been doing internet banking for a few years now. I use it to switch money between accounts and pay bills. I do still get paper statements but I like to check it online as well. I only do it on my tablet which has security on it. I also pay money into my account at the post office which is in my local shop so it saves me going into town especially the way things have been over the last year. I think it's really handy.

Pedwards Tue 20-Apr-21 14:06:47

I use online banking for several accounts, but try to use them in as safe a way as possible, here are some of my personal practices to keep safe:
Only use secure trusted internet connections especially when out and about
Use firewall technology on devices
Use complex passwords and different ones for each account
Don’t have all your money in one account - I move money from my main current account into a monthly budget account a savings account and then just keep the minimum amount to keep the account in the black
Use a credit (not debit) card for online purchases which is safer
If you have the facility on your accounts set up notifications to notify you when there has been a transaction on your account
Don’t click on any links sent by someone claiming to be your bank
Hope you find these helpful? ?

Silverlady333 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:18:33

I have done internet banking for years but only on my laptop. We have very good internet security on our laptops. My partner used to work in IT. I also have a Paypal account and transfer money from my main bank account to another with another bank to which my paypal account is attached. I only keep the minimum in this second account so if anyone tried to hack my paypal there wouldn't be anything to steal! As others have said never ever open emails that say they are from your bank. If I have any queries I go direct to my bank online. I do not want to do online banking on m mobile as I am more likely to lose it!

sandelf Tue 20-Apr-21 14:26:29

Yes, but, on my own (passworded non cloud using) laptop only - never on a phone. Not sure why - I just don't understand enough about who can access what. Ironic really as daughter has high flying job with an online only bank - she tells me it's all fine...

Shelagh6 Tue 20-Apr-21 15:16:59

Nationwide internet banking is great! Don’t hesitate.

Vange1 Tue 20-Apr-21 15:32:11

I am with smile, the internet branch of the Co-Op Bank, have been since it started. It's ok most of the time - I access it on my laptop. Getting in touch with them can be a trial.

Retired65 Tue 20-Apr-21 16:10:04

I refused to do online banking because some years ago the Bank manager admitted that they had had several cases of fraud. I do do telephone banking via a landline but to set this up you have to do it online to start with. Also despite having a customer number that I have to type in plus a pin number. I also have to answer other security questions.

Gannygangan Tue 20-Apr-21 16:14:32

We've been banking online with laptops and phones for years. It's brilliant in my opinion.

Yorki Tue 20-Apr-21 16:15:02

I understand your doubts on the matter of online banking, uu hare change, and I don't like modern technology much either, but I do have to use online banking as my husband is self employed, and a lot of his customers prefer paying via BACS, ( whatever that stands for). But I don't trust Internet banking, heard too many scam stories. But if you want to put your mind at rest, and even have a laugh about it, go onto YouTube type in kitboga, you can then watch the best of the best scamming scammers, he's brilliant, and ties the scammers up in knots. He knows his stuff. I love him. ?

Alioop Tue 20-Apr-21 16:57:57

I started online banking in the first lockdown as I didn't want to visit my bank. Always said I'd never use it, but my bank also started to do statements every 3 mths instead of monthly so I find it a lot easier to keep my eye on everything now.

GreyKnitter Tue 20-Apr-21 17:10:40

I’ve used online banking for years - using two of the major banks - one for personal stuff and one for household stuff (my husband and I both use different banks and neither of us have had any issues. There aren’t any banks near us, they’ve all closed down, so paying in the odd cheque is tricky and we need to visit the local town but apart from that, it’s great.

Rowsie Tue 20-Apr-21 17:15:27

It is a fact of life now. Internet banking is here to stay and during lockdown, having seen all the queues outside the banks, I was pleased I do all my stuff on line now.

Gannygangan Tue 20-Apr-21 17:19:05

80% of the UK uses online banking

I'd imagine in a few years time it will be 100%

Harris27 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:35:46

I was wondering about this a few years ago. Some winters I struggle with my asthma and thought about doing more stuff online. So anyway I’ve been online banking now for a few years and no problem. It’s quite safe and I use an iPad. Try it it makes life much easier.

Ramblinggran Tue 20-Apr-21 17:36:41

I’ve been with First Direct for over 20 years and always found them very good to deal with. It’s never any trouble for them when you have a query. Sometimes I can’t do something on line so have to phone, again nothing is too much trouble for them.

clbm48 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:42:35

I've banked with First Direct since 1993 and I've never had any problems. They're very on the ball when they detect any activity that doesn't look like it's you.