Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Where did you live when you were newly weds?s

(137 Posts)
chicken Mon 03-May-21 11:12:07

Our first home was a flat in Leicester, the bottom half of an old terraced house opposite the blank brick wall at the rear of a garage business.The small living room had an old unusable kitchen range in it,and there was a tiny scullery with a deep stone sink and not much else.The lavatory was the second door along in the back yard, beyond the coal shed,and was shared with the tenants of the upstairs flats who had either to walk through our flat to get to it or go out of the front door and down a little alleyway between the houses. The only bathroom was in the upstairs flat with a hot water tank that took 24 hours to heat enough water for a bath. We were happy there for two years and thought ourselves lucky to have our own place.After two years we had saved up enough to pay the deposit on a detached house with a big garden which was on the market for £3750.How times have changed.

Redhead56 Mon 03-May-21 11:59:35

A one bedroom flat I lived there for a year it was a mile away from where I was brought up. It was low maintenance which was good as I worked full time. We saved a deposit for a semi about five miles away it was a nice house and a nice area. I had my son and left my job that’s when I knew I had to move back to familiar ground I was so lonely.
I did move back to a more modern house it was in the late eighties and the interest rate tripled it was a struggle financially. I got a part time job and later had my daughter.
A lot has happened since then I have been in our detached house about fifteen years. It’s a mile away from my family home literally a walk through the woods. The flat I lived in as a newly wed is a fifteen minute walk away. It’s rather obvious I like being in a area I am familiar with.

janeainsworth Mon 03-May-21 12:09:34

A one-bedroom flat in a big house called The Towers on Bury New Road, Prestwich, which wasn’t nearly so grand as it sounds.
While we were looking for the flat, a canny estate agent pointed out to us that the cost of a mortgage would be less than the rent on the flat and we could get 100% mortgage from the Leeds & Holbeck Building Society.

We moved into our first proper home, a 2up-2down in Heaton Park, 3 months later.
This was 1970, happy days.

tanith Mon 03-May-21 12:16:07

We bought a house with my in-laws ?what was I thinking?
We lived upstairs in a one bedroom flat sharing the bathroom we were there 9 yrs it wasn’t a happy house most of the time.

Witzend Mon 03-May-21 12:22:54

In a small prefab with the most ghastly furniture and flooring in the Middle East. It was all provided by the company dh was working for, though, so we weren’t complaining.
The frequent power cuts, though, meaning that our wallbanger air conditioners didn’t work when the temp was well over 120F, were another matter - with corrugated metal roofs the places soon turned into ovens.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-May-21 12:28:29

A two bedroomed house with the most enormous garden, which we loved, northern suburbs of Brighton.

sodapop Mon 03-May-21 12:28:41

We rented a flat at a reduced rate on the understanding I helped the owner with personal care as she had a stroke. I was a staff nurse at the time. Unfortunately I was also pregnant with no children allowed in the flat. I had to wear really baggy sweaters every time I heard the call " Nurse" from the ground floor flat. We were able to buy a house before the baby was born.

shysal Mon 03-May-21 12:33:10

An old terraced house that we bought for £1400, and spent £1000 adding a bathroom.

Oldbat1 Mon 03-May-21 13:37:54

Rented a one bedroom ground floor flat. Living room, bedroom and kitchen which only had a sink, gas cooker and sadia. No cupboards anywhere. No heating apart from open coal fire. The toilet was outside at bottom of garden. No bathroom. This was early 70s and a very miserable existence.

Judy54 Mon 03-May-21 13:41:23

A two up two down old terraced house. We saved really hard to be able to buy it, most of our money went on the mortgage. We happily accepted second hand furniture from family and friends and turned that little house into a comfortable home, we have very fond memories of our time living there.

Kim19 Mon 03-May-21 13:42:39

Lovely house in Cyprus with beautiful garden. Courtesy HM forces. Thank you M'am.

silverlining48 Mon 03-May-21 13:50:42

Rented a one bedroom conversion flat on the top floor of an old house in south west London. It had a pay meter for gas and electricity and the landlord had it turned up so it cost us a fortune, and he must have made one as there were 3 couples renting flats in the house. It was so damp and all clothes then had metal zips so they all turned green.
Downstairs rather glamorous neighbour always wore full makeup, but one day when I knocked she hadn’t put any on and she gave me a fright, she looked so different, (so normal.)

MerylStreep Mon 03-May-21 13:58:33

We rented a beautiful flat in Leigh on sea for about 18 months then found out we could get a 100% mortgage.
My husband’s boss lied through his teeth to enable us to get that. ?
We knew we could pay, but his wage wasn’t enough on paper.
£5,400 in 1971.

timetogo2016 Mon 03-May-21 14:04:29

We were very lucky tbh.
We went on our honeymoon for 2 weeks and the day we were due to come back to my parents,they went on holiday for 2 weeks.
We recieved news that we had a 2 bed brand new council flat to move into asap.
We loved it,it was in Redditch,West Midlands.
I still go back and look at the places i have lived and Dh2 enjoys my history of homes too.
I think i need to get a life lol.

nanna8 Mon 03-May-21 14:06:27

Warrington in a 2 bedroom bungalow. Hardly ever home because I was at college.

DanniRae Mon 03-May-21 14:34:39

We saved money up before we were married and with a loan from my Brother-in-law we were able to put a deposit on a house in South London. This was 1970 and I think the house was £6,000......and we are still there! smile

SueDonim Mon 03-May-21 15:04:58

We had a tiny top floor flat in a building that stunk of cooking cabbage. It was so small that only person could get in the kitchen and you had to stand in the living room to open the oven door. You could also watch tv when you were sitting on the toilet. grin

Hot water came from a terrifying gas geyser over the bath and we kept warm with paraffin heaters. It overlooked the English Channel and in winter we had to stuff the gaps in the windows with newspaper and masking tape to keep the drafts out.

We weren’t there for long as we managed to buy our own home the following year. It’s now a very fancy apartment above a showroom for fancy speed boats in an area populated by DFL’s (down from London). We couldn’t possibly afford to live there now. confused

Grany Mon 03-May-21 15:09:05

In a tied cottage 3 bed with big garden.with it came with the farm job stock man. So I moved from Cornwall to Wiltshire to a little village.

grandmajet Mon 03-May-21 15:10:28

A second floor rented flat in Northwood, near Watford. We were already living there when we go married. We saved like mad and bought a terraced house nearby a couple of years later.

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 15:13:18

Upstairs large, airy flat in a terraced house in Devon; the lovely old landlady who was widowed lived downstairs.
She used to like a chat every day when I got home from work.

Grandma70s Mon 03-May-21 15:18:00

We lived for two years in a rented top floor flat in an 18thC terrace. The rooms were huge and very cold. No central heating. We didn’t have much furniture, so there was a lot of empty space. It was beautiful but impractical.

Sara1954 Mon 03-May-21 15:18:54

We were looking at unmodernised terraced houses, no kitchens or bathrooms, mostly needed rewiring , but we were young and enthusiastic.

My father law though we were mad, so gave us £2000 for a deposit, so that we could afford somewhere with basic amenities.

We bought a mid terrace for £9.100 in 1976, and sold it three years later for £18.950

Sundaze Mon 03-May-21 15:30:54

We bought our first home in 1980 for £16,500. We were both 20 at the time. It was a toblerone shaped house, with 1 bedroom and the bathroom downstairs, and 2 bedrooms up in the attic space.
It had a very trendy shag pile carpet in the lounge. This unfortunately housed an infestation of fleas from the previous owners pet. I also had some fluffy mule slippers. The fleas made their presence known swiftly by jumping onto my slippers shock.
We tried to get rid of them with powders and sprays, without any luck. Eventually we had admit defeat and call in the professionals, and move out overnight due to chemical spraying of the whole house.

crazyH Mon 03-May-21 15:33:23

With my mother

Sundaze Mon 03-May-21 15:34:36

Oh, and the interest rate on our mortgage was 16% shock