Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Where did you live when you were newly weds?s

(138 Posts)
chicken Mon 03-May-21 11:12:07

Our first home was a flat in Leicester, the bottom half of an old terraced house opposite the blank brick wall at the rear of a garage business.The small living room had an old unusable kitchen range in it,and there was a tiny scullery with a deep stone sink and not much else.The lavatory was the second door along in the back yard, beyond the coal shed,and was shared with the tenants of the upstairs flats who had either to walk through our flat to get to it or go out of the front door and down a little alleyway between the houses. The only bathroom was in the upstairs flat with a hot water tank that took 24 hours to heat enough water for a bath. We were happy there for two years and thought ourselves lucky to have our own place.After two years we had saved up enough to pay the deposit on a detached house with a big garden which was on the market for £3750.How times have changed.

jocork Fri 07-May-21 10:21:50

I bought a one bedroom flat and my fiance had a one bedroom house. We planned to buy a new build house together but it wasn't finished when we got married so we lived for 5 months in my flat, having sold his house to put the deposit down on our house together. It wasn't huge and we had to store furniture from his house in the garage and a friend's spare room. We stacked chests of drawers on top of each other in the bedroom to fit all our clothes in! We'd never have fitted in his little house as there was no garage and my flat was much more spacious. I too remember 16% interest on the mortgage!

Riggie Fri 07-May-21 12:20:44

Where we live now. 3 edwardian terrace in a nice area. But we were both "mature" newluweds (40 ish)

FindingNemo15 Fri 07-May-21 12:37:15

With the in-laws for six months. It was a nightmare and she hated me!

Curlywhirly Fri 07-May-21 13:40:55

We saved up like mad for a deposit on our first house; we were only 20 and managed to put a deposit down on a 2 bed bungalow. I hated the house and the area, but it was a bargain - we bought it when it was rundown, (it was only 15 years old, but the old couple who were selling it had dementia and it was in a bit of a state) we spruced it up and sold it 3 years later and made a killing. That profit enabled us to move to a lovely area and buy the house we still live in. The house was also rundown and again was being sold by an old couple who hadn't touched it for years. Bit by bit we improved it and extended it, and thought we were very fortunate to live in our own house in a beautuful area and only 23 years old. We received nothing from our parents, (who lived in council houses and money was tight). Initially we survived on second hand furniture and we both worked as many hours as we could. We had 9 carefree years before children came along and managed to save a little money. My husband later formed his own successful company and we have for many years had a good standard of living; but we have never forgotten our early struggles and what it feels like to struggle and count every penny.

DanniRae Sat 08-May-21 08:09:21

We saved for two years before we got married to get a deposit. I managed to put away £4 and my then fiance saved £5 (this was 1968-70) We never let a week go by without putting this money in a savings account. This enabled us to buy quite a decent house and yes we were proud at 21 and 23 to have managed to do it.
Can you imagine how we felt when other couples, who hadn't bothered to save, said "Oh you are lucky!" I always felt like saying "Yes aren't we lucky........and the harder we saved the luckier we got!"

blubber Sat 08-May-21 14:21:10

A three bedroom semi with a large back garden. We saved very hard for a deposit (my husband, then fiance earned £4.7.6 as an apprentice) We wouldn't have married until we had a decent place of our own.

Magrithea Sun 09-May-21 18:56:44

We lived in a flat belonging to a colleague of my new husband's (he had gone abroad to work) for the first 2 and a half months then we went abroad and didn't buy a house here in UK until 1994 when we'd been married for 13 years. We had bought where we were living though

JenniferEccles Tue 11-May-21 15:49:42

Our first home was a three bed mid terraced house on a brand new housing estate in Surrey and I loved it.

We saved hard for the deposit by living with our respective parents before we were married.
We were determined to buy and not rent so we didn’t get married until we had secured the house.

We were all young married couples having our babies around the same time and I made many friends, some of whom I still see. I remember I really appreciated having company as a first time mum as there was lots of advice and tips from neighbours who had slightly older children.

We babysat for each other for the occasional night out (and it was occasional!), and our children had friends to play with.

We eventually moved on and up the property ladder but I still have very fond memories of those early days in our first home.

cwm33 Tue 11-May-21 15:56:43

I lived in a 2 bed bungalow overlooking the sea in Kenya.....still my happy place to go to in my mind when I am stressed

Artaylar Tue 11-May-21 16:11:02

A mid terraced house in 1986 which we bought for £15,000. My lovely mum didnt ask me for housekeeping money for a few years when I lived at home, which was a massive help in saving for the deposit and essential furniture items.

It took around 2 years to save what we needed. We bought all the white goods and the bed new, and everything else was second hand or what people gave to us.

Sadly the relationship ended after 23 years. I have very happy memories of times in our first home together and we are still very good friends.

Daisymae Tue 11-May-21 17:35:34

Huge room in my in-laws Victorian pub. We bought big furniture to go in it too, which proved a problem when we bought our 3 bed terrace!

NannaE Sat 05-Jun-21 01:51:36

With my Mum.