Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Where did you live when you were newly weds?s

(138 Posts)
chicken Mon 03-May-21 11:12:07

Our first home was a flat in Leicester, the bottom half of an old terraced house opposite the blank brick wall at the rear of a garage business.The small living room had an old unusable kitchen range in it,and there was a tiny scullery with a deep stone sink and not much else.The lavatory was the second door along in the back yard, beyond the coal shed,and was shared with the tenants of the upstairs flats who had either to walk through our flat to get to it or go out of the front door and down a little alleyway between the houses. The only bathroom was in the upstairs flat with a hot water tank that took 24 hours to heat enough water for a bath. We were happy there for two years and thought ourselves lucky to have our own place.After two years we had saved up enough to pay the deposit on a detached house with a big garden which was on the market for £3750.How times have changed.

NannaE Sat 05-Jun-21 01:51:36

With my Mum.

Daisymae Tue 11-May-21 17:35:34

Huge room in my in-laws Victorian pub. We bought big furniture to go in it too, which proved a problem when we bought our 3 bed terrace!

Artaylar Tue 11-May-21 16:11:02

A mid terraced house in 1986 which we bought for £15,000. My lovely mum didnt ask me for housekeeping money for a few years when I lived at home, which was a massive help in saving for the deposit and essential furniture items.

It took around 2 years to save what we needed. We bought all the white goods and the bed new, and everything else was second hand or what people gave to us.

Sadly the relationship ended after 23 years. I have very happy memories of times in our first home together and we are still very good friends.

cwm33 Tue 11-May-21 15:56:43

I lived in a 2 bed bungalow overlooking the sea in Kenya.....still my happy place to go to in my mind when I am stressed

JenniferEccles Tue 11-May-21 15:49:42

Our first home was a three bed mid terraced house on a brand new housing estate in Surrey and I loved it.

We saved hard for the deposit by living with our respective parents before we were married.
We were determined to buy and not rent so we didn’t get married until we had secured the house.

We were all young married couples having our babies around the same time and I made many friends, some of whom I still see. I remember I really appreciated having company as a first time mum as there was lots of advice and tips from neighbours who had slightly older children.

We babysat for each other for the occasional night out (and it was occasional!), and our children had friends to play with.

We eventually moved on and up the property ladder but I still have very fond memories of those early days in our first home.

Magrithea Sun 09-May-21 18:56:44

We lived in a flat belonging to a colleague of my new husband's (he had gone abroad to work) for the first 2 and a half months then we went abroad and didn't buy a house here in UK until 1994 when we'd been married for 13 years. We had bought where we were living though

blubber Sat 08-May-21 14:21:10

A three bedroom semi with a large back garden. We saved very hard for a deposit (my husband, then fiance earned £4.7.6 as an apprentice) We wouldn't have married until we had a decent place of our own.

DanniRae Sat 08-May-21 08:09:21

We saved for two years before we got married to get a deposit. I managed to put away £4 and my then fiance saved £5 (this was 1968-70) We never let a week go by without putting this money in a savings account. This enabled us to buy quite a decent house and yes we were proud at 21 and 23 to have managed to do it.
Can you imagine how we felt when other couples, who hadn't bothered to save, said "Oh you are lucky!" I always felt like saying "Yes aren't we lucky........and the harder we saved the luckier we got!"

Curlywhirly Fri 07-May-21 13:40:55

We saved up like mad for a deposit on our first house; we were only 20 and managed to put a deposit down on a 2 bed bungalow. I hated the house and the area, but it was a bargain - we bought it when it was rundown, (it was only 15 years old, but the old couple who were selling it had dementia and it was in a bit of a state) we spruced it up and sold it 3 years later and made a killing. That profit enabled us to move to a lovely area and buy the house we still live in. The house was also rundown and again was being sold by an old couple who hadn't touched it for years. Bit by bit we improved it and extended it, and thought we were very fortunate to live in our own house in a beautuful area and only 23 years old. We received nothing from our parents, (who lived in council houses and money was tight). Initially we survived on second hand furniture and we both worked as many hours as we could. We had 9 carefree years before children came along and managed to save a little money. My husband later formed his own successful company and we have for many years had a good standard of living; but we have never forgotten our early struggles and what it feels like to struggle and count every penny.

FindingNemo15 Fri 07-May-21 12:37:15

With the in-laws for six months. It was a nightmare and she hated me!

Riggie Fri 07-May-21 12:20:44

Where we live now. 3 edwardian terrace in a nice area. But we were both "mature" newluweds (40 ish)

jocork Fri 07-May-21 10:21:50

I bought a one bedroom flat and my fiance had a one bedroom house. We planned to buy a new build house together but it wasn't finished when we got married so we lived for 5 months in my flat, having sold his house to put the deposit down on our house together. It wasn't huge and we had to store furniture from his house in the garage and a friend's spare room. We stacked chests of drawers on top of each other in the bedroom to fit all our clothes in! We'd never have fitted in his little house as there was no garage and my flat was much more spacious. I too remember 16% interest on the mortgage!

heath480 Fri 07-May-21 01:19:36

I was in the Army when aI got married,we had already bought a 3bedroom semi in North Birmingham.I earnt far more than my husband then,in 1974.

All our furniture was given to us by friends,but we did buy a shag pile cream carpet.

When I left the Army I got a large leaving bonus,a lot of that we frittered away on luxury items.We only lived in that house a short time as we left to live in Italy.

Sebella Thu 06-May-21 23:22:18

We married straight from Uni and into our first jobs, teaching. With all our money spent on moving states, from NSW to Launceston, Tasmania. All we could find to rent was a one bedroom unfurnished unit. We slept a foam mattress on the floor.
When we decided to have a dinner party, my husband brought home the desks and chairs from his classroom, on loan. It was very funny, we made such wonderful memories by making do with very little but loads of youth, love and laughter. And our first baby arrived whilst we lived in this rental. Stories to tell our now, in comparison affluent children.

Newatthis Thu 06-May-21 19:26:46

A Military house - camouflage patterned carpets, camouflage patterned sofa, camouflage patterned curtains. However, the furniture issues was all G plan (wish I had it now). We had to pay a lot in rental (yes, the military have to pay for their housing) however, it was a roof over our heads.

harrigran Thu 06-May-21 17:58:31

We married in 1967 and bought a two bedroom mid terrace cottage. No central heating no fitted carpets, we bought a new bed and a cooker and everything else was second hand or wedding presents.
The mortgage was crippling, 15% and I got pregnant after eight months of marriage.
We stayed there for four years and moved to a new build when I was expecting my second baby. The cottage was one street away from the football stadium and it became unbearable on a Saturday, people parked both sides of the street and in the back lane completely blocking any access to our home

NotANana Thu 06-May-21 17:49:12

I had the upstairs of a semi which had been converted into two flats each with a separate entrance. We had a sitting room, bedroom, box room, tiny kitchen and bathroom.
When we married, he moved in. We bought our first home, a three-bed terrace in Birmingham the following year. It cost us £7k...we got a 100% mortgage over 10 years from the Council. And worried about the repayments.
Three years later, we sold it and bought a semi round the corner from his parents. We thought we had arrived because it had central heating, and a garage at the bottom of the garden..was on the market for £22k.
We sold that in the early 1990s and bought a three bed detached in a cul-de-sac about a mile away. That cost £50k.
We still have that, and we are mortgage-free...although at present we live in a house which is tied to my work.

Candelle Thu 06-May-21 17:46:47

How interesting some of these reminiscences are. 'Young People of Today' should be made to read them!!!

We were very young and equally determined to buy our own house and saved every penny (no buying tights, taking the bus or practically eating) for a year until we had enough money as a deposit on a very modern three-story townhouse. It had a utility room (unheard of in those days) and a built in 'fridge (although minute) in the fitted kitchen. This was 1968.

Unfortunately, we could not afford to buy anything in our own locality so had to move 30 miles away for this house - no car, incidentally - and took the bus at 7.00 am to travel into London for our jobs. We arrived home twelve hours later, exhausted but... it was all ours.

Actually, our mortgage was initially rescinded as there was a problem with the general money supply, three weeks before completion (which was on the eve of our wedding).

My mother rang the building society and asked to withdraw her savings. When asked why, she explained she would be funding our house purchase as the mortgage offer had just been revoked and five minutes later, our mortgage was reinstated!

I remember standing outside the building society for our mortgage interview, trembling - I could not stop shaking, as it was so important to prove to everyone that although young, we were responsible. We did it!

We only stayed in the house for eighteen months or so as we missed our friends, who happily travelled up to see us for the first time but it became a problem after that and I think we were just worn out with the travelling, so we moved back to our own turf, buying a brand new two-bedroomed maisonette - half the size of the house for twice the price. We moved twice since then and have been in our current home for over forty years now.

Oh, the good old days!

BlueSapphire Thu 06-May-21 17:09:36

A one bedroom furnished first floor flat. Freezing cold, just an electric fire in living room. Mould on the walls in bathroom and loo. No access to garden. Two bus journeys to work for me.

We had saved enough after two years to put £1500 down on our first house, a three bedroom semi, 10 minutes walk from the school I taught in. Had no furniture, but were happy!

katynana Thu 06-May-21 17:07:56

First 3 months were spent in a bed-sit in Chiswick. Really just the large front bedroom of a typical Victorian semi with the smaller window area partitioned off to provide a rudimentary kitchen. The bathroom was on a different level and used by the household. I managed to get this room by pleading with the landlady that we needed somewhere to live and that it needed to be in that area so I could get to my first teaching post and my husband-to-be could get to his job in a bank. She was reluctant at first because the room had been set up to accommodate 2 single people (pair of divans) and not a married couple. We assured her that we would provide our own bed (in-laws 'put-you-up') and she kindly agreed to make room for one of the divans downstairs in her sitting room while the other one could be used by us as a sofa.
What really 'tipped the balance' in our favour was the fact of her own daughter also getting married at that time.
She was a lovely lady and really looked after us, even lending me her big shopping basket trolley to cart our laundry round to the laundrette.
After 3 months a semi-basement flat in Ealing came available so we moved in for the next year and a half until we got a bank mortgage ( very favourable rate) and a new job for me outside London. We were very happy to move on to our own house and out of the extremely damp flat. Waking on a winter morning to find actual frost on the blankets and mould in the wardrobe was a little uncomfortable to say the least. The landlady there was a dear old lady who became a bit too dependent on us.

keriku Thu 06-May-21 17:03:29

When we were first married, we had to live in a police house. We were spoiled as it was a lovely wee three bedroom bungalow. A woman at my work was absolutely furious that I was living “rent free” (her words). When we were allowed to buy our own home, less than two years later, the price was about £14,000 more than when we were married. So much for “free rent”!

GrauntyHelen Thu 06-May-21 16:53:55

Only been married 5 years we live in what was previously my home a penthouse apartment with a nature reserve giving us fabulous views to hills in the North

jaylucy Thu 06-May-21 16:36:02

We were originally supposed to be renting a house off the OH's boss but got back from honeymoon to find that the boss had moved back in as he ha fallen out with the woman he had been living with !
6 weeks later, the boss had moved his bedroom downstairs to what had been the parlour . we had no central heating and he had disconnected the gas fire so there was an open fire in the living room. We bought a convector heater from John Lewis for our bedroom (that still works 40 years later) - good thing we did as it was one of the coldest winters on record!
We shared the kitchen and bathroom and when the boss moved in his latest girlfriend, we worked out a system to share the cooking and laundry facilities !

MayBee70 Thu 06-May-21 16:28:43

There are some lovely little terrace houses in Long Eaton aren’t there. I’ve often driven round some of the little side streets looking at the houses in them.

Minerva Thu 06-May-21 16:27:34

In a rented room in a flat abroad where we were both working. There was a shop on the corner selling just-baked bread rolls which we had for breakfast every day with lovely coffee. We didn’t have much space but we didn’t have many belongings and we planned on seeing more of the world before we settled down. It would be another three and a half years before we came home and lived in mother-in-law’s box room while we worked to save for a deposit on a tiny flat.