Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

State Pension age in 10 days

(31 Posts)
Buttercup19 Fri 09-Dec-22 04:30:37

I will reach state pension age in 10 days and received a letter in August inviting me to apply for it which I did, I have not received my forecast and date of first payment! I have rung many times to various numbers to no avail, when I rung a few days ago I also mentioned that I will get some of my late husbands additional state pension and have received that info in 2 days but not my forecast and to make it worse I received a letter yesterday telling me about pension credit which I won’t be able to claim. Any advice on how I can get my pension forecast. Thanks

growstuff Fri 30-Dec-22 23:09:12

Buttercup19

I get 50% of his additional state pension which equates to £6.14 per week, it’s disgusting as he worked all his life and only got 4 years of his state pension!!

I don't even get my additional state pension, which I paid in my own right! I only paid it for a few years but my total from the new state pension exceeds what I would have received from the old state pension plus additional pension, so I'm not even eligible for it.

State pension has never depended on the total paid in, but the years of contributions. That's why many people who have paid more over fewer years receive less than those who paid less over more years. That's the way it works.

Buttercup19 Fri 30-Dec-22 23:31:18

Dear DaisyAnne,
Whatever terminology you use it’s isn’t right!!
I have never mentioned pension credit!!!

welbeck Fri 30-Dec-22 23:42:41

if OP feels it's disgusting, she is entitled to say so.

DaisyAnne Sat 31-Dec-22 00:30:06

welbeck

if OP feels it's disgusting, she is entitled to say so.

Ah, another who thinks "it's my opinion, (or the OP's in this case) so it's therefore my truth". The sooner we stop this doublethink, the better.

The OP is, indeed, entitled to her own opinion. She is not entitled to her "own" facts. Equally, we are all entitled to put the facts forward.

The fact is that all pensions are paid out based on life expectancy. No one is singled out and treated differently. It may feel unfair, but it is the same for everyone. The OP may feel disgusted, but that does not make the system disgusting.

DaisyAnne Sat 31-Dec-22 00:34:55

Buttercup19

Dear DaisyAnne,
Whatever terminology you use it’s isn’t right!!
I have never mentioned pension credit!!!

In your OP you wrote: "... telling me about pension credit which I won’t be able to claim."

I just wanted you to be aware there are other benefits that can be claimed if you are just over the Pension Credit entitlement level and if you are under it you can still claim Pension Credit itself. I have come across some people who believe they cannot claim Pension Credit if you get the New SP. However, if you are eligible, you can.