Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Private Healthcare

(134 Posts)
Elless Wed 01-Feb-23 10:15:48

We are grudging to do so but are considering taking out a private healthcare plan. Can anyone recommend a good one or give any advice?

Magrithea Mon 06-Feb-23 09:32:59

crazyH

Seriously, why would anyone pay for private health care , when we have the best health care system in the world ? We are the envy of the world.

Sadly we're not the envy of the world - our health care system is creaking at the seams and not fit for purpose! Those with the power to do so shy away from reform as they fear a public backlash

luluaugust Mon 06-Feb-23 09:51:49

We do the same as Monica having had private cover through work when retirement arrived we had to stop. I realised with my mum getting to a great age that as time went on her health problems were mostly emergencies which weren't covered anyway.

M0nica Mon 06-Feb-23 18:02:56

crazyH, Irony at its best.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 20:40:07

It was, it truly was, and yes, it was the envy of the world. No more.

Brahumbug Fri 10-Feb-23 06:03:49

If you take out private health insurance then you are better going for moratorium cover rather than full disclosure, as after 2 years you would be covered for pre existing conditions, provided you had not had any treatment, testing or advice on them in the 2 years.

argymargy Fri 10-Feb-23 07:04:57

I had private health cover through work with Vitality. The great thing about that company is that it incentivises healthy lifestyle - so you can get money and other things to offset your premiums. It’s cost-effective all round.

M0nica Fri 10-Feb-23 19:13:08

According to this link www.expatriatehealthcare.com/the-top-10-healthcare-systems-in-the-world-2022/

We are rated 10th in the ranking of best health systems. South Korea, Taiwan and Denmark are the top three.

Primrose53 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:25:56

My friend has bad knees. She has struggled on but her family have persuaded her to get checked out. As it can be a year+ to even get a referral she paid privately to see a consultant. After examination, Xrays etc She was told she does need new knees and when she asked how long, he said he could do one next week!

I looked into private health insurance myself but never reached a decision. I found it difficult weighing up one against another.