Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Newcastle Meet up

(225 Posts)
GillieB Fri 18-Jan-13 14:15:44

Glass and I were talking the other day about arranging another get-together in the near future in Newcastle upon Tyne (or thereabouts). The weather seems so miserable at the moment (it's snowing heavily here) that it would be a good idea to have something to look forward to.

Add your name if you're interested and suggested dates - I think a month or so on from now would be good.

gillybob Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:08

Don't have to ask twice GillieB Count me in !

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:30

Add me grin as long as I have notice to arrange for DD to have time off work for the DGC.

janeainsworth Fri 18-Jan-13 14:18:42

I'd like to come smile

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 14:21:24

As long as glass agrees to steer me back to the station at the end of the bottle afternoon, I should love to come.

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:23:17

Of course absent

gillybob Fri 18-Jan-13 14:24:04

End of the bottle Absent? Shouldn't that be end of the case? grin

As the saying goes you can lead a gran to the station but you can't make her get on the right train !

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:26:00

grin

janeainsworth Fri 18-Jan-13 14:29:03

absent you and glass will have some assistance with consuming the liquid refreshment this time, as I will be leaving the car at home and coming on the bus.

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:30:53

jane its gillybob you need to watch, ask her about Red wine grin

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:41:37

Unless its a Saturday and I am a free woman grin

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 14:47:13

When are you having it? I would love to join in and I bet a couple of others would, as well (won't put their names on, just in case)! smile

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 14:47:40

gillybob I'm wounded. grin I always get on the right train and so far I have managed to wake up just as it pulls into my station. However, there's bound to be an occasion when I wake up at King' Cross – it's only a matter of time. Incidentally, I didn't say which bottle – but, obviously, I meant the last one.

GillieB Fri 18-Jan-13 15:07:24

Wow! I am away for less than an hour and you all jump onboard.

An idea when, though?

I can't do Tuesdays as I have my DGS. I was wondering about a Wednesday or Thursday towards the end of February? We'll also need to put our heads together about where to meet.

GillieB Fri 18-Jan-13 15:08:01

Any idea when, though?

janeainsworth Fri 18-Jan-13 15:15:08

Any day ok for me.

Gally Fri 18-Jan-13 15:42:05

I'm interested but will be away for all of March! May have to catch up another time. Marelli and I were only talking of a visit to Newcastle when we met on Tuesday.

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 15:49:55

Hopeful smile ?

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 15:58:58

Marelli Gally it would be great to see you in Newcastle.

As DD is taking next Friday off for me to go to Edinburgh as late in Feb would be better for me, but if thats not possible I would have to use up a few brownie points wink

moomin Fri 18-Jan-13 16:04:25

I would like to be included please smile but I'll be away 3-10 March so end of February would suit me, however I'm a bit of a light-weight when it comes to wine sad

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 16:06:00

Great moomin I wouldnt worry too much about that grin

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 16:10:57

I'll just go with the flow and see what happens. Rather come down with Gally, so maybe later on, if you have another meet up? smile

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 16:18:04

I am planning on leaving the country forever in late April or early May. I have to be in New Zealand by 21 May or my visa becomes invalid and I haven't the heart, energy or funds to apply all over again. Any time before then works for me and the more the merrier.

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 16:21:55

It would be great to meet up with you again before you go, absent - maybe there'll be a chance for Gally and I (and whoever else could make it) to come down. smile

numberplease Fri 18-Jan-13 16:40:14

Just in case, and I`m not saying I`m coming, but just in case............. How many railway stations are there in Newcastle, and which one would I need to go to? I tried to find out fares to Newcastle a few weeks ago, putting in hypothetical dates, and each time there wasn`t a train on those dates! I`d love to come if I can make it.