Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Anyone in Cambridge/Cambridges hire area for a meet-up?

(123 Posts)
jacalpad Sun 09-Jul-17 10:16:44

Anyone fancy meeting up for coffee in or around Cambridge?

NonnaW Thu 19-Jul-18 17:18:35

I could do 30th. Depending on what sort of thing people want to eat there are places like All Bar One, or Carluccio’s. Trying to think of places where we could fit in quite a few people (being optimistic here!).

Lindylou51 Wed 25-Jul-18 10:01:12

It would have been good to meet up again. Unfortunately I am doing childcare on 30th so won't be able to be there. Do count me in though on any future meet ups (childcare permitting).

NonnaW Wed 25-Jul-18 11:06:18

Looks like 30th is a no go anyway as no one else seems to be up for it. Difficult finding a date that everyone can do.

JackyB Wed 25-Jul-18 11:16:54

If it is postponed a bit further I may be there. Am just about to book flights from 15 - 22 August. DH may be flying with me but he can amuse himself in Cambridge for a couple of hours, I'm sure.

jacalpad Thu 26-Jul-18 06:42:26

Well, there is so little take-up, let’s cancel Monday and try to organise something for September. Perhaps it will make it more attractive as the children will be back at school! sad

Lindylou51 Thu 26-Jul-18 07:28:43

Excellent idea.

JackyB Mon 10-Sep-18 12:50:07

I don't think I'll be in the UK in September. But I'll keep following this thread - it might work out one day!

Thirdinline Sun 16-Sep-18 14:28:34

I’m an hour’s drive from Cambridge & could get to a meet up in September- what’s left of it! Just found you on here!

Rebecca3 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:10:59

I am in South Africa, but moving to Cambridgeshire (St Ives), early next year (February), with my husband (72). He has had a job here in S. Africa (Cape Town area: Stellenbosch University). He's a mathematician. The time has come when he says he is tired of working and we are moving to U.K . Our daughter (married, lives in St Ives) and husband are having their first baby. We are going to rent in St.Ives when we first move. (They did suggest it! Not our idea : ) But very pleased they did. However, I am very nervous of yet another move.. (Lived in Zimbabwe for years, till it collapsed!) Afraid of being lonely...making friends gets harder as you get older. I have been thinking that I would love to do the thing I like best : join a writing group! It's a perfect way of making friends: you have a common interest...your writing! It goes without saying that nearly everyone says, "I can't write!" OR "I do write, but I'd never show anyone!" So... I am issuing a (hopeful) challenge! Anyone want to join an online writing group???? That way you can be anonymous...you can use a pen name. You can send a poem ( doesn't have to rhyme) or a diary extract (doesn't have to be true). I once sent my older daughter a 'Bridget Jones' type diary extract as a way of 'making up' after a row that was breaking my heart! It was humorous...and worked. You can write a short story, for your grandchildren. (Or just begin it...) Kids love a story with themselves as hero/heroine! I have done several: with (free) printed pictures taken from the internet! I have a prized photo of my oldest gr.child opening her first "book"! Or just write a paragraph, explaining what makes you glad or grateful (that's supposed to be good therapy! : ) Or you can write about feeling lonely. Others can read and make (positive, encouraging, helpful!) suggestions. It's great to have a common purpose. Anyone up for it? I am a retired English teacher, by the way. I don't really like sharing what I write, but I love the meetings (I go to a small group here! We have a hilarious time. ) Let's start a group online?? Any takers?? Pease answer if you are only half -interested? I could supply you with some possible titles. P.S. Look at 'Pinterest' for story openers, and good ways to end a story: very helpful. Plagiarise if you like! Looking forward to responses!!wine Emoticon represents time when we get together and share (if we want) what we have written. Could come up with a combined volume of stories for our gr.kids???

jacalpad Mon 08-Oct-18 10:28:23

Well, September came and went! Let’s make a positive move to meet in October. Wednesday’s and Fridays were mentioned previously as good days for some. To avoid half-term, who could make Wednesday 24th or Friday 26th? Any suggestions of a venue?

JackyB Thu 11-Oct-18 19:42:24

Still keeping an eye on this thread. I shall be in the Newmarket area from 22 - 28 November, in case the October dates don't materialise.

jacalpad Fri 26-Oct-18 10:55:39

There were no takers, so there was no get-together! Perhaps others are no longer interested.

JackyB Sun 27-Jan-19 17:24:50

Shame about that. If anyone is still watching this thread, I shall be in the Cambridge area 14-21 Feb.

jacalpad Mon 28-Jan-19 10:27:43

In response to JackyB’s message above - anyone else for a meet-up between 14 and 21 February?

showergelfresh Thu 31-Jan-19 18:44:49

Anytime Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th'll be good.
The Plough Pub at Fen Ditton edge of Cambridge is good in the winter - easy parking and not too busy - easy to reach in general. Not in town - horrendous.
Or Ely - the pub near the station by the river - that's not too busy - good parking and very pleasant.

Thebeeb Fri 01-Mar-19 20:22:37

Missed the last date but would love to meet up if you have another one. The Plough would be good for me.

showergelfresh Wed 06-Mar-19 23:01:49

So we have an early April date so far for The Plough at Fen Ditton for a morning coffee chat.
There is plenty of free parking there and its very easy to get to from the A14
Its a very lovely place right by the river and the coffee is the best in Cambridge.
If anyone fancies a stroll the village is virtually traffic free and lovely too.
Come on Cambridge grans!

jacalpad Thu 07-Mar-19 05:11:04

Ooh! Have I missed a message/thread? Aprildate? I’d love to meet up.

showergelfresh Thu 07-Mar-19 17:08:03

So far there is me and jacalpad meeting next Wednesday March 13th in the outside undercover area of The Plough in Fen Ditton CB5 8SX at 11.00 a.m
Please come and if you'd like to pm me or jacalpad - we have not met yet - beforehand please do!
See you there!
Have I missed anything out???????
Hmmmmm
xx

jacalpad Wed 13-Mar-19 05:39:58

See you later. Hope some others are able to join us too.

JackyB Wed 13-Mar-19 19:10:28

I missed this, but wouldn't have been there anyway. Hope you manage to get a few more to the next meeting on 2nd April ("advertised" in a separate thread)

jacalpad Thu 14-Mar-19 05:28:01

A new thread has been started for a Cambridge meet-up. Do come along!