Gransnet forums

Menopause

No Symptoms

(180 Posts)
Mel1967 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:13:01

Hello,

I know that I’m not going to be popular !!

But I just wondered if there is anyone else out there??

I’m 53.
I can’t remember the last time I had a period and have had no other menopause symptoms (sorry).
So, I’m kind of guessing/hoping that’s my lot??
Surely it can’t be that easy??
Anyone else??

honeyrose Thu 10-Dec-20 09:21:14

I’m maybe not going to be that popular either, but my menopause seemed fairly symptom free. My periods ended in my early/mid 50’s (I’m 65 now). Periods got more and more irregular over a couple of years then disappeared altogether. I did have a few hot flushes, but nothing drastic. I, too, thought “is that it then!?” Lucky, or what?!

fiorentina51 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:43:22

Same here. Last period 17 years ago when I was 52. A few hot flushes over a couple of years and my periods became irregular then stopped.

FannyCornforth Thu 10-Dec-20 09:53:31

Me too.
I'm 48 and had last period exactly a year ago.
(I had a mini period a few months ago when I had a steroid injection, it's a thing apparently.)
Prior to that I had irregular and heavy periods.
I occasionally get very hot, but that seems to be less common now. Also very itchy at night.

annodomini Thu 10-Dec-20 09:53:58

Me too. nearly 40 years ago now. It was a hot summer and I had a few sweaty nights, but that was as likely to be due to the weather as to the 'changd'. Otherwise, no symptoms.

OceanMama Thu 10-Dec-20 10:46:20

Not quite 50 but no sign of menopause here. You ladies give me hope it won't be awful.

kircubbin2000 Thu 10-Dec-20 11:03:44

I don't remember any problems or any friends complaining the way they do now.

mumofmadboys Thu 10-Dec-20 11:18:07

I had an emergency hysterectomy after childbirth at 38 years old. I am now 62 and have had very few menopausal symptoms. Maybe 3 or 4 hot flushes in total. I think I am very lucky. No HRT except occasional use of vagifem pessaries.

Septimia Thu 10-Dec-20 12:46:30

I had a couple of very inconvenient heavy periods. Inconvenient because the first was when I was on a trip and the second when I was at an evening class - nearly got locked in the ladies loos while trying to deal with it because the caretaker came round locking up!!

Apart from that, some hot flushes and that was it - thank goodness! I still sometimes have trouble with my temperature regulator, but it's not really a problem.

Lexisgranny Thu 10-Dec-20 12:49:41

I had a hysterectomy at 48, went on to HRT for two years and never had any symptoms at all, so I consider myself to be very fortunate.

Jane10 Thu 10-Dec-20 13:21:14

All was fine for me too!

Blossoming Thu 10-Dec-20 13:24:37

Me too, didn’t really notice any symptoms once my periods finally stopped. I used to suffer every month so was delighted to be done with them.

Esspee Thu 10-Dec-20 13:52:46

The really debilitating side effects of menopause kick in well after your periods stop. Unfortunately this subject is one of the few taboos left and it is appalling that women are allowed to remain in ignorance of this.

You can expect long term to suffer from osteoporosis, osteo- arthritis, vaginal atrophy, loss of libido, stress incontinence, cardiovascular disease, aches and pains-especially joints, skin and hair changes leading to looking older, sleep problems, concentration problems and Alzheimer’s. These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

The hot flushes are more likely to occur in those who had the normal high levels of oestrogen before their levels plummeted. Women who “sail through” the initial phase of menopause do tend to have low oestrogen levels to start with so will hit the later side effects earlier than those who suffered hot flushes.

There is a solution. It is oestrogen replacement therapy but again women are not generally made aware about the benefits until they are well past menopausal age and it is no longer an option.

Those who take HRT from the menopause benefit hugely as they can put off menopause for the rest of their lives and in consequence have a much healthier old age.

Yes, there are a few for whom it is contra indicated but the great majority of women can have a much better quality of life thanks to medical advances.

LucyLocket55 Thu 10-Dec-20 13:53:08

Worst thing for me was the terrible brain fog and dry urethra, no flushes or anything like that at all.

silverlining48 Thu 10-Dec-20 14:25:25

No symptoms or problems other than an occasional hot flush and a couple of random and unexpected heavy periods some years after.

JackyB Thu 10-Dec-20 16:01:25

I never had any bother with periods, they weren't heavy and were few and far between. After pregnancies and a miscarriage they didn't come back for the full 8-10 weeks.

I had fibroids and eventually a hysterectomy in my early 40s and of course haven't had a period since then. I kept my ovaries and did notice a little bit of a mood swing to mark the monthly cycle but nothing serious.

I must have gone through menopause by now, but I have no way to find out!

My sister in law suffers terribly. She had breast cancer and what with chemo and radiotherapy went though the menopause - she sweated so much at night she had to change the sheets several times. After about 6 years she was clear of the cancer and her periods came back!

She has now had to go through the whole procedure a second time! And she never had any children.

My sister has been on the Pill all her life because of very heavy painful periods. I assume she has now passed the menopause. She didn't have any children either.

It doesn't seem fair, does it?

Blossoming Thu 10-Dec-20 16:15:06

Well as it’s 12 years ago Esspee I think it’s highly unlikely I’m going to develop any menopausal symptoms now!

BlueBelle Thu 10-Dec-20 16:16:31

I never had a days problem with the menopause, didn’t take anything, , finished at 47/8 and that was it Just no more periods nothing negative at all
So I won’t be popular either ?
My eldest daughter has finished too and also had no problems whatsoever just said it all finished overnight and she’s forgotten all about it

Jane10 Thu 10-Dec-20 16:18:42

Well Esspee- I seem to have avoided the catalogue of disease and disaster you mentioned would be along later. I'm many years past menopause now.
I think there is a lot of info available re menopause. All the talk about it scared me into buying all the books and supplements in preparation for, actually, nothing!

Blossoming Thu 10-Dec-20 16:20:56

BlueBelle maybe it’s true that we get the menopause we expect ?

EllanVannin Thu 10-Dec-20 16:26:45

Mine stopped dead at age 50----the agonies came later grin

MrsThreadgoode Thu 10-Dec-20 17:38:54

I had a hysterectomy at 40 , but kept my ovaries, I kept asking the Doctor when I should expect the Menopause to start, he said not yet........
Nearly 70 now and still no symptoms, I’m assuming I’m through it by now?
If not I hope it kicks in soon so that I can get it out of the way.?

Urmstongran Thu 10-Dec-20 18:07:00

Mine stopped at 53y. I’m 66y now. No problems at all.
Strange isn’t it how we are all so different?

Esspee Thu 10-Dec-20 18:15:19

So none of you have stress incontinence, waterworks problems, low libido, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, vaginal atrophy, sleep problems, etc.? Amazing. Being on Gransnet must have some protective benefits as statistically the rest of the population who are post menopausal have high incidences of those medical issues. ?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 10-Dec-20 18:15:57

No problems with the menopause mine started at 47! Few night sweats if you can even call them night sweats just a bit of heat on my chest area, no hot flushes in the day, i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid at same time but certainly nothing to complain about, my health issues have come before it rather than in the menopause