Gransnet forums

News & politics

Badgers to be gassed

(154 Posts)
thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 18:48:42

I learn from the Scottish Wild Lands Group that the NFU welcomes the plan to gas badger families in their setts!

So, we've to be outraged about children being gassed in Syria but it's OK to gas badgers at home!?! shock

Galen Thu 10-Oct-13 23:15:44

Personally, I think it's like comparing apples with algorhyms!

Aka Thu 10-Oct-13 23:24:09

Did you mean algorithms? Or the album by Australian electronic-synthpop group Boxcar? confused

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:26:48

Other mammals also spread the disease - Badgers are probably an easier target. I agree that vaccine should be used. I think it is a matter of money. Bullets are cheaper than vaccine. Another thing, To vaccinate the farmer would surely have to have his animals tested to see if they are immune or need the vaccine. If they are infected then the farmer would lose the herd probably. Not sure - just from my James Herriot days.

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:28:02

A really good friend of ours is a farmer, he loves his animals but they are business to him.

Aka Thu 10-Oct-13 23:32:23

Flower cows are tested regularly anyway.

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:43:01

Ah OK thanks for headsup. thought they might be. Just the James Herriot thing coming through. After reading him I am an expert wink xxxx

nightowl Thu 10-Oct-13 23:54:29

www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/steve-jones/hypocrisy-of-badger-cull

An interesting article about the plight of the dairy and beef industries and how cattle are paying the price. This author argues that badgers are scapegoats for health problems caused by poor animal husbandry. I think he is right and we do have to ask ourselves what kind of farming industry we want and what we are willing to accept.

goldengirl Fri 11-Oct-13 08:43:25

I think badgers are being used as scapegoats. What is happening to the cubs whose parents are shot! Not exactly humane way of dealing with the situation. Once again it's an action that's knee jerk and not been properly thought through. It seems that if it moves and isn't bringing in money then it should be killed. It's humans who are destroying their habitat and forcing the bunching of animals together and poor conditions will bring disease - like it does with humans. Experts seem to be not so 'expert' after all - why am I not surprised!

thatbags Fri 11-Oct-13 09:20:13

I think shooting is humane if it is accurate. I was shocked to hear that gassing was being considered. Further reading made me aware that it is carbon monoxide that is proposed as the gas to be used and that apparently this will be painless. I still don't like the idea but I think that is because I've never been convinced of the necessity to kill badgers since there is a bovine vaccine for bovine TB which can be given to bovines. It does look, on the face of it, to be about cost rather than wild animal lives.

Those who wish to think I have no sense of humanity are free to do so. Other than an admittedly careless thought/sentence in the OP of this thread, which I now regret, I'd like to suggest there is little evidence for that belief.

Anniebach Fri 11-Oct-13 09:51:33

We campaigned against the culling in Wales, it will be interesting to learn who made the right decision, England and shooting, Wales and vaccination . There is no doubt shooting the badgers is cruel, not all are killed but die of wounds, their young are left and the badgers who escape spread further afield

Suppose the fox is being spared whilst all these marksmen! Hunt the badger

Jendurham Fri 11-Oct-13 09:54:29

Good link, Nightowl, one of my favourite websites.
What I hadn't realised is that a cow killed for having bovine TB still went into the food chain.
Think of that, all you meat eaters, the next time you buy your joint of beef for the weekend.
Does that mean the farmer gets paid twice?

merlotgran Fri 11-Oct-13 10:10:34

Of course the farmer doesn't get paid twice.

Those of you who might be worrying about your weekend joint are welcome to buy imported meat. Not so long ago some people were unknowingly eating horsemeat hmm

sunseeker Fri 11-Oct-13 10:31:30

There was a cull by gassing several years ago in Gloucestershire, the result was that there was no TB in cattle for 10 years but once the badgers recolonised the TB in cattle returned. It has been shown that as a badger sett has many entrances and exits it is often not possible to block them all, this has resulted in some badgers surviving the gas and it appears that it is the young badgers that survive rather than the older ones. During the gassing in Gloucestershire the gas used was cyanide and it was stopped because it was shown that some badgers did not die immediately, some surviving for half a minute. The gas they are now proposing to use is not cyanide but more humane.

During the present cull by shooting the badgers were not trapped and then shot but were shot whilst roaming free, which is why expert marksmen were used.

Vaccination may appear to be the best solution, however, if a badger already has TB the vaccine has no effect.

nightowl Fri 11-Oct-13 10:50:37

The proposal to vaccinate the badgers was based on the principle that a badger's lifespan is about 5 years, therefore over a 5 year period vaccination would effectively wipe out TB in the population. The proposal re shooting the badgers is aiming to reduce the level of TB over a four year period so neither policy is seen as a quick fix. As Anniebach says, we will see in 5 years time whether England or Wales made the correct choice. Lucky welsh badgers in the meantime.

nightowl Fri 11-Oct-13 11:00:11

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/08/badger-cull-extension-too-few-killed

Free shooting of badgers was the first option chosen by the government (because it's cheaper) but as this article shows, they had to start trapping and then shooting in order to increase the numbers killed. The article also describes one badger leaving a bloody trail back to its set and the body not being recovered. How many more? It's very difficult to kill a free roaming badger with one shot I believe.

nightowl Fri 11-Oct-13 11:11:47

www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/08/badger-cull-extension-too-few-killed

ffinnochio Fri 11-Oct-13 11:11:49

nightowl Your link is one of the best articles I've read about this issue.
I was particularly interested in the vaccination route being explored in Wales. That seems to me to be a sensible way forward.
In fact, vaccination for both badgers and cows is the way to go I think.
It's costs though.

Is gassing of badgers cheaper? Seems ghastly to me.

I know vaccination of cows is v. expensive, and I believe it's the farmers who have to pay. (May be wrong ), but if that is the case, then there are many dairy farmers who would find the costs prohibitive. However, the vaccination of badgers will be financed by the government, I suppose.

JessM Fri 11-Oct-13 11:12:29

I think if the vaccine was effective then the easy solution would be to vaccinate the cows. Does anyone know the details on this?

The BCG vaccination for humans does not give strong immunity. TB a very difficult organism.
I thought it was ludicrous of the Secretary of State to use the term "badgers have moved the goalposts". I suppose he was dashing around yelling at this team to come up with a soundbite for his announcement. hmm

ffinnochio Fri 11-Oct-13 11:15:48

Your link of 23.54 nightowl

Eloethan Fri 11-Oct-13 15:29:42

nightowl Thank you for the open democracy link. It was very informative.

j08 Fri 11-Oct-13 15:57:13

The title of this thread is an emotive lie. Badgers will not be gassed until the government can be 100% sure that the method can be made completely safe, humane and effective.

A vaccine for cattle where vaccinated cows can be distinguished from infected cows, is some years away.

Iam64 Fri 11-Oct-13 17:14:49

I also heard the comment about Badgers moving the goal posts, and it made me smile.

Nightowl, thanks for the open democracy link. I'm opposed to gassing badgers, and like others wonder about immunisation as a way forward.

Despite my sympathy for the badgers, I do I feel for the remaining dairy farmers, and wonder quite where we're going as a society as we seem to be moving to factory farming for cows now. In the 3 villages that are now basically one spreading commuter area where I live, we now have 1 dairy farm, where 30 years ago we had 25.

thatbags Fri 11-Oct-13 18:21:00

Not a deliberate lie, jings. Gassing animals is an emotive idea and I was very shocked. I did not realise the idea was only being put forward. That's bad enough anyway.

thatbags Fri 11-Oct-13 18:22:11

PS they weren't 100% sure shooting would be humane and effective (it wasn't) but they still went ahead.

thatbags Fri 11-Oct-13 20:17:52

Here's something to annoy jingle and anyone else outraged: www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/opinion/sunday/dogs-are-people-too.html. And if dogs, why not badgers too?

It was some years ago that I was reading a claim that we should regard chimps as human...

What do I think? I don't know about the above, but I do know that the idea of gassing badgers appalled me. Cruelty is cruelty whatever live creature it is applied to.

Yes, I am being provocative. Provoking thinking is good in my book, even when it's uncomfortable.