Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump - just not fringe or funny anymore !?!

(218 Posts)
granjura Wed 09-Dec-15 12:21:29

Anyone else seriously concerned at the rise of Trump in the USA? It seems that the more extreme, the more crazy, the more fascist he and his 'solutions' become- the more his ratings go up. You would have thought that people would begin to think he is a loose and dangerous canon- but no- they love him all the more.

My mother was studying German at Munich University in 1933- and this is exactly what she described.

And we can't just say 'this is the USA' and it has little to do with us. We have no vote of course- but we certainly live in the same crazy world.

youtu.be/_rMsgmaBV8g

Monthy Python- they knew how to recognize a witch- but how on earth do you recognize a 'Muslim' ???

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 21:03:08

There are two e-petitions on the government website, one to keep him out of Britain and one to allow him in.
The one to keep him out has over 300,000 signatures ; the other has less than 10,000.
It would be good to get over a million.

DotMH1901 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:07:05

I have a couple of US based friends who have said that they will vote for Trump. A common theme is worry over the number of illegal immigrants entering the US, a strong dislike for Obama and his policies including gun control amongst other things, and a conviction that the American way of life is being undermined by 'giving way' to the demands of Muslim activists who want to see their own belief system over rule the traditional values of the US.

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 21:27:15

I hope you are going to tell your friends, DotM, that less than 1% of the US population are muslim, and a quarter of those are converts to Islam.
They do not live in impoverished ghettos but are spread all over the country. On average, they are better educated and slightly more prosperous than the average American. Or is that what they are worried about?

We have a law about hate crime, and muslims are denied entry into this country for saying far less than Trump has done.

Deedaa Wed 09-Dec-15 21:35:16

My American SiL cites Trump as one of the reasons he lives over here.

granjura Wed 09-Dec-15 21:55:12

I so hope others on GN will sign the petition to keep him out of Britain. It would be really great to get over 1 million and more indeed.

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:04:02

Does that mean that Trump has done some good, Deeda?

granjura Wed 09-Dec-15 22:06:47

I misread the post also the first time I read it- her sil lives in the uk to avoid Trump (+ other factors).

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:12:53

That's what I read, too, granjura. It was good of Trump to make her son in law want to live here, assuming she likes her son in law.

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:15:20

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/09/petition-calling-for-donald-trump-to-be-banned-from-uk-signed-by-85000

Lots more signatures needed.

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:18:38

www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/08/jk-rowling-on-donald-trump-voldemort-was-nowhere-as-bad

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:21:01

Also concerned about the rise of the front national in France, granjura.
Nearly a third of the vote is very worrying.

granjura Wed 09-Dec-15 22:23:11

Oh I see - doh- get it now ;)

Yes, I'd urge anyone shocked by Trump's comments to sign. It is just a gesture of course- but it will get the message through somehow- the more people sign.

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:35:53

tompride.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/wounded-british-soldier-shuts-up-anti-muslim-racists-with-epic-message/

This is brilliant. The shame is he had to say it. Read it, then sign to keep Trump out.
On the other hand, if he came here, could he be arrested for incitement?

durhamjen Wed 09-Dec-15 22:50:34

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/09/donald-trump-ireland-sinn-fein-terrorism

Eloethan Wed 09-Dec-15 23:49:32

That's a really good message from the ex-soldier durhamjen.

I'm undecided as to whether Trump should be banned from entering Britain. I don't believe he should be welcomed here by the government or any public body, or invited to speak at public functions. But I wonder if banning him raises the risk of him being portrayed as a victim just because he exercises his right to "free speech".

It may be a little complacent to think he is of no real significance. I believe he is polling way ahead of other Republican candidates and is certainly popular in some areas.

What shocked me was to hear on The Wright Stuff this morning two callers who enthusiastically supported what he had said. I don't think this is reflective of most British people's attitudes - at least I hope it's not - but still it concerned me.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 10-Dec-15 02:02:29

This is the petition if anyone else wants to sign Block Donald Trump from the UK

As far as I am concerned this man is guilty of hate crime and should be banned from entering the country like others have been for holding extremist views. It's bad enough the way he talks rubbish about the US, but to do it again about the UK is just beyond the pale.

absent Thu 10-Dec-15 02:33:53

Let him in, let him speak, let him describe his plans on how Muslims should be treated in America, let him vilify London as a Muslim ghetto…then prosecute the bastard in the London courts!

thatbags Thu 10-Dec-15 06:24:45

I agree he should not be blocked. Extremism is overcome by open debate, not censorship.

Here's a good couple of tweets on the subject from Rory Sutherland and James Furman.

Alea Thu 10-Dec-15 08:25:37

I'm with those who say he should not enjoy the attention of being banned.
But nor do I think any organisation, educational institution, or political faction should be allowed to accord him the compliment of being invited.
We have, or used to have a great British tradition of "cutting shysters down to size" - that is more effective.
Has everybody seen the FB picture of a ginger Guinea pig with his stick and hanky containing all his possessions over his shoulder a la Dick Whittington? It's headed "Donald Trump's hair decided to run away from home and start a new life". grin
With instantaneous internet access anything he says in the US is unfortunately immediately accessible here, but let's not go out of our way to make him or anybody think we want to hear his drivel.
(And that's me still being nice in this festive season) tchwink

NfkDumpling Thu 10-Dec-15 08:32:32

The man would be best ignored except there seems to be quite a few insular twerps in the US who believe the silly b****r. tchsad

rosequartz Thu 10-Dec-15 10:16:45

Harrison Ford tells him it's not like the movies:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35059128

Katek Thu 10-Dec-15 10:45:12

Posted pic of runaway hamster (hair) on page one Alea-am off to get pic of the awful clock he's erected at the entrance to Trumpton!

Katek Thu 10-Dec-15 10:52:19

Totally incongruous in the middle of the Aberdeenshire countryside.

gillybob Thu 10-Dec-15 11:08:23

I do not think Trump should be banned from coming to the UK. What happened to freedom of speech? Or is that only for people with a hook for a hand?

Yes if Trump comes here and "oversteps the mark" fine, throw him out, but until then........

granjura Thu 10-Dec-15 11:38:22

We all know that by law, freedom of speech has limits, don't we. Any 'speech' that incites hatred, prejudice, etc, against s specific ehtnic or religious group is beyond said freedom. How would you react if a politicians called for the exclusion of Christians or Jews?