Gransnet forums

News & politics

The EU - we are on the home straight folks!

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 31-May-16 15:58:48

You didn't think I would ignore this did you?

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 19:10:40

DD has not registered her proxy vote - she would definitely be 'in', so if there is one vote in it we know who to blame [oh dear]

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 19:24:21

I think I'll vote out - the NHS is going to be awash with moneygrin

granjura Tue 31-May-16 19:31:31

Out of the UK too.

How does one everf know/have proof - that one's vote has been counted?

varian Tue 31-May-16 19:34:27

Please don't whitewave. The NHS will never cope with all these repatriated pensioners.

daphnedill Tue 31-May-16 19:51:24

ww, AND you're going to have reduced fuel bills...and...and... grin

BREXITers have found a magic money tree (probably in Nigel Farage's bank account ~lol~)

granjura Tue 31-May-16 20:26:33

Miracles - hurrah.

The boats have started to cross- better be quick with that wall. Ask Trump for the plans!

(Worse thing is that it was 2 Brits who made the money out of arranging the illegal crossing ... hope they throw away their key!)

Galen Tue 31-May-16 20:32:33

Postal vote as disabled and can't get to the station

Alima Tue 31-May-16 20:52:14

Needed a postal vote as on holiday on the 23rd. Normally manage to stagger the 100 yards or so to the polling station.

Charleygirl Tue 31-May-16 21:36:23

Postal vote because I had surgery around the time of the General Election and it seems too much like hard work to change it now as I am about to go into hospital again.

I must fill mine in tomorrow, post it and then forget about it. I have had enough already.

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 21:44:17

In fact, does it matter as long as we vote?
"Never apologize; never explain."

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 21:55:49

Doesn't matter at all. I was just interested as I only know one other person who has a postal vote, and there seem to be a lot on here.
Nobody has to answer, but thanks to those who did.

practical Tue 31-May-16 21:58:49

CALLS were growing tonight for an urgent inquiry into the integrity of the EU referendum amid claims that European citizens are being sent polling cards despite being ineligible to vote.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 21:59:35

My mum has a postal vote. But then she's really ancient.

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 22:03:25

That's OK!

We were going to miss out on a GE vote once years ago so registered and have remained with a postal vote just in case we were away.

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 22:03:44

and we are getting a bit ancient grin

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 22:04:24

Do people with dementia have a vote? Someone who has no idea who is sitting opposite her?

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 22:08:05

I suppose so, you can't disenfranchise someone because they are ill.
Although I suppose anyone could x the box for them.

What do you think of this bit of psychology - or coercion?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36411509

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 22:17:05

Whitewave, is this what you are going to vote for?

www.thecanary.co/2016/05/31/brexit-tories-promises-show-theyre-preparing-boris-led-britain-video/

Welshwife Tue 31-May-16 22:18:00

practical only people who have been out of UK less than 15 years get a vote and you need to re register each year so I would think that what you are talking about is a complete red herring. You do not actually get a polling card if you are abroad!! You get confirmation that you are eligible to vote after you have filled in a number of questions and detailed where you last had a vote in UK and that is the ward or constituency that you get the vote for. We had voting papers for a local election last year and only voted as one of the candidates we knew and had been the councillor previously otherwise we would not have sent the papers in. We are not allowed to vote in the Welsh Assembly elections for some reason. Because of this we did not receive voting papers for a by election held on the same day in the constituency either. We are eligible to vote in the referendum and in fact it is likely to affect us as much if not more than many still living in UK.
Our voting papers arrived this morning and we posted them back this afternoon.

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 22:19:47

I just looked at that video. It's Nadine Dorries. But I forgot I had a live webcam on Coquet Island in the background.
She sounds much better like that.

practical Tue 31-May-16 23:49:44

WW most of the comments like this 'And one journalist revealed he knows of “Germans and Poles” who have also received their polling cards in the post and asked on Twitter if anyone else had heard of any instances.
One person then replied: “This happened to a Swedish friend of mine who had a German passport. They were on the electoral roll and voted.” were on twitter so I don't know if that part is true or not. If it's all true it sound like a right mess don't it?

whitewave Wed 01-Jun-16 07:10:55

I am also voting out because there will be no migrants, and our economy will be absolutely whizzy.

I also want Boris to become PM as he is a man with such intelligence and integrity.

absent Wed 01-Jun-16 07:37:06

Yeah, whitewave and there goes another squadron – oink, oink, oink! grin

GandTea Wed 01-Jun-16 08:32:55

I did some research last night about the situation regarding farms employing essential migrant labour. What I found surprised me. It appears that there will almost certainly be a trade agreement that will allow us to sell into the EU and EU members to work in the UK, exactly as now.
This is good for the companies that rely on migrant labour, but for those thinking that leaving the EU will be the end of migrants working here, they are likely to be disappointed.
It is obvious really, we need migrant workers, to do those jobs that employers cannot fill with British workers and to increase our working population to pay the taxes to fund the NHS, pensions etc.

Having watched last nights TV programme, I have decided that Britain would probably be a better country for our children and grandchildren within the EU. MY decision was swayed by the business and financial contributors, not the politicians, I don't trust a word either side say.

Welshwife Wed 01-Jun-16 08:38:29

Tim Peake on Breakfast TV and he was saying about the Space Agency being an EU enterprise - I suppose if we Brexit we would loose our links with that which would be a disaster really - too expensive a project to go alone.
On the Today programme a chap from Spain was interviewed about Brits who live there and what would happen - he said that he thought it unlikely the Health care would continue as it is now and people would need to pay all the fees - he was a Spanish official. All I have seen so far about Brits in the EU is everyone thinking things would remain the same. Seems unlikely from what this chap said. Many would likely need to return to UK and need social housing ( prices in EU would diminish) and also rejoin the NHS. I suppose they would fill any spaces vacated by returning working migrants - not exactly a win/win situation.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion