Gransnet forums

News & politics

The one indisputable FACT in this referendum debate

(338 Posts)
Anya Tue 14-Jun-16 11:18:34

Like many of us, I prefer to deal in facts, not surmise, assumptions, or what might be, or might not happen. The truth is that neither side have a clear idea of what leaving or remaining in the EU might entail, except for one clear fact.

This is, that if we remain, we will continue to have no control over numbers of immigrants from the EU, entering the country.

We all agree that immigration is a Good Thing, but uncontrollable immigration is another issue completely.

Anya Thu 16-Jun-16 16:55:43

I won't be posting whitewave

I'm shocked and saddened.

POGS Thu 16-Jun-16 16:58:55

Lazigirl. 15.06

I was being factual actually.

The word Mutti when used in connection with Angela Merkel is used not in a disparaging manner, quite the opposite.

It is said of Frau Merkel 'She has cultivated the image of a prudent, pragmatic , down to earth Leader earning her the nickname Mutti Mother of the Nation'

Chancellor Merkel I thought was widely known to have the nickname Mutti , obviously I am wrong.

daphnedill Thu 16-Jun-16 17:00:36

I hadn't seen the post, whitewave, so sorry I responded. I agree. This is really shocking.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jun-16 17:06:37

confused. Who's gonna know? Who is it likely to help?

obieone Thu 16-Jun-16 17:10:46

Your post didnt make sense. Didnt know what you were talking about.
Off gransnet to do something else.

whitewave Thu 16-Jun-16 17:11:37

No one jing that isn't the point it is out of respect. You don't need your actions to be witnessed to mean anything.

Jalima Thu 16-Jun-16 17:28:18

I was replying to previous posts and hadn't seen that one whitewave

Elegran Thu 16-Jun-16 18:29:07

Both campaigns have been temporarily suspended on the news that MP Jo cox has died after an attack while making a public appearance at a library.

Would it be a good idea for the EU threads on GN to hold a ceasefire too?

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-Jun-16 18:55:58

Yes. Out respect to Jo and Family

Alea Thu 16-Jun-16 22:07:23

Yes

CelticRose Sat 18-Jun-16 00:33:45

Flipping from first thread to last means I have lost the plot (not unusual) ...listening to BBC R4 yesterday morning was the story about the women refugees in the camps. They have run out of supplies of sanitary towels and have no transport to take them to the nearest supermarkets to buy any. My point? I don't have one, other than to say I switched channels.

practical Sat 18-Jun-16 10:19:52

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/681019/european-union-Conflict-minerals-SCIAF-congo-colombia-war-EU-scotland-Nicola-Sturgeon