Gransnet forums

News & politics

We should think of Jo at the ballot box

(288 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:00:23

Stephen Kinnock was a good friend of Jo Cox. He has written an article in my paper about the closeness of their families. I have no problem with most of what he has written apart from the instruction that we must think of her when we vote!
I am appalled by what has happened to her and feel great sympathy for her family but
I fail to see that her death has anything to do with the way I vote!
Am I wrong To feel that this appeal is rather distasteful?

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 15:04:37

They msy be close, she has said on tv she is voting Remain in , one reason being her daughter wants to work in Paris

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 14:45:28

When I say she I mean Rachel Johnson

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 14:44:35

She did write this:

She was keen to stress that she was there to oppose Nigel Farage's camp, not the official Leave campaign, led by her brother.

She said: "This for me is against the Farage-ist outfit"

"It's not against Boris and Gove and Brexit . It's about that Farage outfit that put out that response to the Orlando shooting, which was low. And it's not where I want to be, it's not where I want us to be."

Quite difficult to separate them when they are both on the same side; however, it doesn't sound as if Boris has much time for Farage. He and his sister are very close, from what I understand, despite differing views on this.

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 12:39:20

Boris Johnsons sister was with Geldof

daphnedill Tue 21-Jun-16 12:16:28

Do you mean the people who challenged Farage on the Thames? If you do, I assume you do realise that one of the 'lovies' was Jo Cox. Her shoes were left behind at the murder scene. There was a picture of them - they didn't look that expensive to me.

PS. I've just congratulated Elegran on an excellent post and I don't know which 'side' she's on.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jun-16 10:23:48

Have stayed off all the EU threads for a while, as it became obvious that certain posters would dominate in an unpleasant way quite often. So sensible posts by such as Jalima POGS Elegran Eloethan amongst others, although they stand out from the dubious and dogmatic offerings of some posters here, are largely ignored or ridiculed or called 'nasty'.This forum is mirroring life in the way words are twisted to suit , weasel words employed, and insults to anyone and everyone who may be backing Leave are thrown around.

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 10:20:54

There are probably millions of us doing the same thing. And as a result I can see the good my chosen charity is doing
We, amongst many millions of others, do too - which can bring heart that for every hate-filled person there must be a million others trying to help and do good even in a small way.

nigglynellie Tue 21-Jun-16 10:18:37

You've completely hit the nail on the head Marmark1! These are exactly my thoughts too! Wonder why all the wealthy are so keen to stay in!!! It's fairly obvious that those with a vested interest in the EU(!) will be keen to stay as no one would want to be shoved off that gravy train and all the goodies that go with it, or worse still risk not being able to catch it at all!! None of these people will be even remotely affected personally, as they all without exception have an escape route should things go wrong, a Greek scenario for example! That disgraceful businesses on the Thames the other day, when a pair of lovies shoes probably cost more than a fisherman earns in a month! People like that make me puke! I'm voting out, and it was Nick Clegg this morning who finally decided me! God forbid that a lucrative job and a gold plated pension should be snatched away by us ignorant peasants.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 10:13:21

They are getting things 2nd or 3rd or 9th hand.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 10:12:43

marmark one of those so called "do gooders and lovie" died on Friday because she was trying to and did make a difference. Mrs Cox was below most people's horizon she wasn't saying "look at me see how good I am" She had no hate in her heart.

I do what I can by having money taken out of my pension for children abroad and in the UK. It doesn't make me exceptional nor a do gooder. There are probably millions of us doing the same thing. And as a result I can see the good my chosen charity is doing. It is all I can do

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 10:12:02

Jalima, had your daily fix I see
anniebach I was just replying to your previous post
I don't like insinuations that I am dishonest thank you.

Can you let it go now please
Have the last word as long as it not another veiled insinuation about someone's integrity or honesty.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 10:11:58

I consider that people in the know know better than them durhamjen. Obviously really.

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 10:05:59

Jalima, had your daily fix I see

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 10:04:05

Nothing clever in speaking the truth Jalima, what a strange view on honesty
Here we go again: what a strange view on honesty

Using semantics to insinuate that you are honest and I am not

Are you a politician anniebach, or perhaps a newspaper editor? The tactics seem similar.

Marmark1 Tue 21-Jun-16 09:36:00

Most of the inners are too afraid of losing some of their wealth,most of the outers want a country like the one that attracted all the immigrants in the first place.
And as I'v said,and believe,the do gooders and lovies should be doing something to stop all the greed and corruption in the world and make the so called poorer countries a better place to live.Education is what they need,not aid,
Get the (look at me,see how nice I am) brigade behind that venture.
No,it won't happen,because the billionaires are creaming the best off there lands.and the poor burgers can't do anything about it.
That's why I never give to foreign charities,

durhamjen Mon 20-Jun-16 23:39:38

I have no reason to disbelieve fullfact. They are an independent charity set up to check the facts of everything politicians say, and have been doing so for six years.
Their research department is used by all parties. They have been on stage at some of these debates.

"Full Fact is the UK’s independent, non-partisan, factchecking charity. We check claims made by politicians, the media, pressure groups, and other voices in public debate, and push for corrections where necessary. We also work with government departments and academic research institutions to improve the quality and communication of technical information at source, and campaign for greater transparency in the public arena.

We don’t support any view or political party. Our mission is to improve the quality of public debate, and to equip the public with the best information possible to make up their own minds. We provide links to all our sources so that you don’t have to take our word for anything – you can also check for yourself.

Our commitment to transparency extends to our funding.

Full Fact was founded in 2010 as a three person operation. Since then we have published thousands of factchecks, secured corrections from every major newspaper and from politicians across the political spectrum (including the Prime Minister), and worked with broadcasters to factcheck live events, such as BBC Question Time and leaders’ debates."

Do you disagree with them? Do you know better than them?

Anniebach Mon 20-Jun-16 23:30:55

There not be a EU army

obieone Mon 20-Jun-16 23:17:58

You dont have to answer my posts durhamjen. It is up to you, if you have more important things to do, or even if you do not. I will not take it personally,

obieone Mon 20-Jun-16 23:16:06

An EU army is pretty high up my important consideration list.

obieone Mon 20-Jun-16 23:14:49

And nothing changes in the future ever.
No one changes rules about anything, no one changes laws,no one changes their mind, no one's hand is forced etc.

The people in the EU are not talking about it for nothing. For no reason at all!

Out of interest durhamjen, do you believe everything fact checks say? 100%? All the time? Everything? All of it?

durhamjen Mon 20-Jun-16 23:09:05

By the way, you were the one who brought up about the army in the first place. The rest of us have more important considerations.

durhamjen Mon 20-Jun-16 23:07:37

If you vote to stay in, you can ensure that there will not be one because we have a veto.
If you vote to leave it will not matter, because we will not be part of it if there is one. However, there will not be one because all other countries also have a veto. Is that detailed enough for you? Logical enough?

Two fact checks say so.

obieone Mon 20-Jun-16 22:42:13

dj, you cannot say there is not going to be an EU army in one post, and a few posts later advise vote in to ensure that there is not one.

durhamjen Mon 20-Jun-16 22:41:41

fullfact.org/europe/hunt-eu-army/

obieone Mon 20-Jun-16 22:40:02

Yes jingl. Very sad. So sad. And when she starts to be a memory to so many people, her family will still be living with the consequences of last week.