Gransnet forums

News & politics

We should think of Jo at the ballot box

(288 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:00:23

Stephen Kinnock was a good friend of Jo Cox. He has written an article in my paper about the closeness of their families. I have no problem with most of what he has written apart from the instruction that we must think of her when we vote!
I am appalled by what has happened to her and feel great sympathy for her family but
I fail to see that her death has anything to do with the way I vote!
Am I wrong To feel that this appeal is rather distasteful?

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jun-16 10:28:23

Of course they are, jingl. I'm voting to stay in, but I'm not daft enough to tar all outers with the same brush. There are good arguments on both sides.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jun-16 10:28:45

that thread

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jun-16 10:30:39

Yes there are maggiemaybe, and that's what makes it so hard for a lot of people.

Tegan Sat 18-Jun-16 10:36:56

I'm shaking with fury and holding back the tears at the comments on this thread. The Brexit campaign have used a poster that parodies Nazi propaganda and yet you disassociate it from right wing groups 'She was killed by a mentally-ill man, with, it would appear, connections to an extreme right wing facist group. No such group is being represented at the ballot box next week. Thank goodness'.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jun-16 10:40:17

It's really not worth getting that het up over! It's only Gransnet for goodness sake! sunshine

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jun-16 10:41:40

I mean the comments on here! Cry about a lovely young woman's cruel and unnecessary death by all means.

davref Sat 18-Jun-16 10:48:37

Anniebach, thank you. Of course not all leavers are extremists, but we are deluded if we believe that the denigration of expert individuals and institutions on the economy, the misrepresentations on costs, the denials of our role in EU decision making and the constant distorted perceptions of the freemovent of European citizens, the blaming of others, are the techniques of fascism, Look art the evil propaganda on Farage's bus. I cannot see the differencein principle between UKIP's arguments and those right-populist arguments of the 1930's. in Germany

I hope i would not have bought the blame story then.

davref Sat 18-Jun-16 10:48:51

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/17/mainstream-politicians-clueless-on-how-to-deal-with-migration-debate-says-jo-coxs-husband?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=177978&subid=15991821&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

davref Sat 18-Jun-16 10:54:01

sorry mistype

should have said:
Anniebach, thank you. Of course not all leavers are extremists, but we are deluded if we believe that the denigration of expert individuals and institutions on the economy, the misrepresentations on costs, the denials of our role in EU decision making and the constant distorted perceptions of the freemovent of European citizens, the blaming of others, are not the techniques of fascism. They are the techniques of fascism. Look at the evil propaganda on Farage's bus. I cannot see the differencein principle between UKIP's arguments and those right-populist arguments of the 1930's. in Germany

I hope i would not have bought the blame story then. I have hope, maybe forlorn, that my fellow citizens will choose not to buy it, or be associated with it now

Ceesnan Sat 18-Jun-16 10:56:18

Wow Anniebach! That insulting and thoughtless post must take the lead as the most crass remark of the day.

petra Sat 18-Jun-16 11:04:48

davfef Would one of those experts be Mark Carney who is a Goldman Sachs man, as are others in the Bank of England.

thatbags Sat 18-Jun-16 11:04:49

I think it's only someone with extreme views (right or left doesn't matter; the two meet in their intolerance anyway) who could say that if some members or supporters of the Labour Party are anti-semitic (I'm not arguing here that they are or aren't) then Brexit voters are racists. It isn't logical, nor likely. Some people just like saying nasty things.

thatbags Sat 18-Jun-16 11:06:14

Perhaps they think nastiness wins arguments. You have to feel sorry for them really.

annodomini Sat 18-Jun-16 11:09:51

In the circumstances, I think that this thread, with its inevitable political content is completely inappropriate. And that's all I have to say on the matter.

whitewave Sat 18-Jun-16 11:19:13

davre smile

Elegran Sat 18-Jun-16 11:29:14

There is another thread where the roots and consequences of this terrible act are discussed. Posting there instead of here does not imply that on here they are being ignored or tolerated, only that the thread is about mourning, not analysing.

Granddaughter Sat 18-Jun-16 12:24:23

Davref, thank you for you constructive comments, the sheer prejudices, untruths and sheer hypocrisy expressed by some contributors is getting to me. We were once a tolerant decent society that used to lead by setting good examples. The Farage UKIP and many Out campaigners with the lies and distorted stories are changing us into an uncaring society, yet I still note they are still trying to jusify many of their prejudices.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jun-16 12:34:26

Grandaughter et al. Maybe you're right. I shall vote to stay in purely for personal financial reasons. And that's all I'll be thinking of at the ballot box.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jun-16 12:44:19

Well said Granddaughter

Anniebach Sat 18-Jun-16 12:47:03

Ceesnan, when I have time I will look through the the anti semitism thread in the hope I will find you stating those who accused me of being anti semetic are insulting, thoughtless and crass

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:22:03

I thought that I had tried to take an informed (at least as informed as is possible) choice re the referendum. I am concerned about a lot of things that I perceive to be against our interests here in Britain. Have you heard about the agricultural trade deal that the EU are trying to make with the US?
I still think that I will vote next week in accordance with my beliefs. I am a little perplexed that according to you , Anniebach, that makes me some kind of monster.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jun-16 13:29:40

Pamela, monster is your choice of word not mine

Ceesnan Sat 18-Jun-16 13:44:40

Oh come on Anniebach! Are you really saying "I was called xxxx on one thead, so that gives me the right to do the same thing on another"? That is childish in the extreme, and certainly not worthy on such an emotive subject. You must have realised it was provocative.

Ceesnan Sat 18-Jun-16 13:48:04

I don't know where the anti Semitic thread is, what was the title?

Anniebach Sat 18-Jun-16 13:53:41

Ceesnan, I am not claiming I can say it because I have a right, I say it because I believe it,just as you believe I am thoughtless , insulting and crass , your opinion - my opinion