Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jean-Claude Juncker can go away and eat his words. (This is a moving on thread)

(63 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 09:57:37

He cannot be allowed to dictate to us when we start the leaving process.

The British people have had a referendum. That is internal politics. Yes, the result with have an effect on the EU, but we are fully entitled to start this when our Prime Minister feels the time is right. Our decision entirely.

Back off Juncker. We will do it our way. And it will be as amicable as we choose to make it.

daphnedill Sat 25-Jun-16 19:14:11

Well, not so sure about that, Jalima. There are various definitions of alcoholism. My grandfather was a civil servant, who worked on an almost daily basis with him at one stage and he certainly thought that he drank too much, to the extent that it affected his thought processes.

Devorgilla Sat 25-Jun-16 19:45:28

I think you will find it is the Brits who are the nation of functioning alcoholics.

petra Sat 25-Jun-16 20:21:21

I always gave the Scandinavians top prize for drinking until I went to Iceland, they are the true champions.

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 20:25:16

Iceland is the most peaceful nation on earth. Apart from excellent murder mysteries of course

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 20:26:20

I dunno. Wherever you go in Europe there are loads of pavement tables with people swigging alcohol.

Have a heart petra. They need something to warm 'em up in Iceland!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 20:27:34

They definitely don't go in for cups of tea in the afternoon like wot we do.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 23:40:54

Whether Churchill drank or not (and I defer to your superior knowledge daphnedil as you obviously have first-hand knowledge and more than ^most historians^) is irrelevant.

We They have someone steering the EU who is allegedly a drunkard. That must affect his ability and his judgement.

Jalima Sat 25-Jun-16 23:42:55

They definitely don't go in for cups of tea in the afternoon like wot we do
Perhaps some people are surreptitiously putting a slug of whisky or brandy in their brew

POGS Sun 26-Jun-16 09:55:13

MargaretX Sat 17.23

I think you are referring to the fact Tony Blair's government in 2004 made a decision to not put in place any 'Transition Controls' when 10 more countries joined the EU. Other countries such as France and Germany did put in place 'Transition Controls' for up to 7 years.

This is exactly why Labour have always been said to have adopted an 'Opened Door ' policy that has caused so many of our problems to date. The expansion of countries joining the Schengen Agreement is in my opinion now a reason why there is disquiet throughout Europe.

We may feel in the UK that we are the only nation to be concerned by immigration and free movement of people but it is worth remembering that there is now temporary border controls in 6 Schengen Area countries , Germany,Denmark, Austria, France , Norway and Sweden. Now I know there is the added influence of refugees and economic migrants but my point is there is a problem facing the EU that has been prevalent in the UK for years and that is why there is the rise of nationalist parties.

Crafting Sun 26-Jun-16 20:34:53

If they want us out straight away, I assume the are happy to go without our £350 million a week straight away too?

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 20:36:32

It's all a lot of posturing and bluster by Junker.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 20:37:57

Petra I have heard that too (heavy drinking in Iceland)