Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who to replace Corbyn?

(105 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 28-Jun-16 14:53:10

As we have a who to replace Cameron thread, thought we may as well speculate as to who ( if anyone) Labour voters ( or any voters) fancy for the job? Should he go, or should he sweat it out?

Anniebach Tue 28-Jun-16 20:07:49

That's just it Devor , a case of for want of a nail etc

Devorgilla Tue 28-Jun-16 20:17:04

Anniebach, I thought exactly that this morning about the Referendum.

whitewave Tue 28-Jun-16 20:22:41

Who has the strength of character, charisma, and suitability to lead the party.
Not Watkins or Eagle - but I haven't a clue at the moment who else. Everything is in the air

Anniebach Tue 28-Jun-16 20:43:38

No idea whitewave, can think of a few but they will not risk their careers now, if Angela did it would be for the party. There must be a challenge , if Corbyn wins again they will have to accept it , but I don't think he could win an election, too many parts of England are affluent and Tory, the most we can hope for is regaining lost labour seats

whitewave Tue 28-Jun-16 20:57:09

I supported Corbyn but I have felt particularly over the referendum that he does lack leadership qualities. I had hoped that he would grow into the roll but he hasn't unfortunately.
We need someone who can win elections. I am not of the school of thought that argues social moments bring change. The only thing to help the disaffected is a government who will govern for all and noy just the wealthy.
But first you have to win an election.

rosesarered Tue 28-Jun-16 21:38:08

No matter what anyone thinks of the timing of this no confidence vote,it does look as if a new leader will have to be found, Labour cannot stagger on for long like this.
Not many suggestions so far ( on the thread) so if Watson and Eagle are not leader material, who do you think is?

Anniebach Tue 28-Jun-16 21:44:39

Same for me whitewave, but who is going to sacrifice their career , someone said Dan thingy, the ex soldier, will he sacrifice his future chances by putting himself forward now.p? I very much doubt it

rosesarered Tue 28-Jun-16 21:47:43

Wasn't Margaret Hodge put forward as a stalking horse?

Anniebach Tue 28-Jun-16 21:59:51

No, she wasn't put forward, the BBC political experts! suggested her. No one has come forward , the Beeb are over excited, they have been longing for this day

rosesarered Wed 29-Jun-16 09:18:24

I'm not sure that's correct( about BBC) any change of leader is big news after all.

Anniebach Wed 29-Jun-16 09:40:22

When was the announcement that Hodge was standing Rosesarered? I missed it. I have many mails a day from Labour HQ and some MP's thry must have forgotten to include this fact! in their mail. I haven't had mail from Hodge which is rather silly of her

POGS Wed 29-Jun-16 11:33:39

'Rumours that the veteran Labour MP Margaret Hodge could be used as a stalking horse challenger to Corbyn have emerged because some MPs think she fits the requirements for any challenger. They think a female MP who does not have any personal axe to grind and who is well respected would be best placed to take on the fight. Hodge could not be reached for comment'

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/03/jeremy-corbyns-critics-abandon-hopes-of-leadership-challenge

Jeremy Corbyn denies rumours of leadership challenge and insists he will not lose seats in local election | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Labour rebels to test Jeremy Corbyn's resolve with 'stalking horse' candidate - Mirror Online

I think you might be referring to the many articles, t.v reports that at one time did 'suggest' Margaret Hodge was possibly a Stalking Horse roses, it moved on to John Spellar.

antheacarol Wed 29-Jun-16 13:27:54

I think it is wrong that the MP's vote was a secret ballot if they really feel strongly about Jeremy going they should show their names in an open and honest way.The party members voted for Jeremy and have a right to know which MP'S voted against the party members wishes so we can deselect them.
The game they are playing is at the wrong time they should stand together and get the country moving forward. If Jeremy goes the party will lose the people that voted for Jeremy and some more.
When Jeremy became Leader of the party he had 35 MP's for him now there's 40 for him.I feel the MP's that voted against are worried he will stop their gravy train

Anniebach Wed 29-Jun-16 13:40:39

I agree about the secret ballot, I was against it. I disagree that they voted to protect their so called gravy train, they will receive the same salary unless they are promoted or resign

Anya Wed 29-Jun-16 19:27:18

Angela Eagle is itching to make a challenge. Can't stand the woman.

rosesarered Wed 29-Jun-16 19:34:07

What gravy train?confused
I can't imagine Angela Eagle as the Leader, or at least only 'just' but certainly can't see her as a future PM.
There must be better options.

Anniebach Wed 29-Jun-16 19:36:07

I like Angela Eagle, I don't think she is itching to make a challenge , just accepts it has to be done and she has more courage than the men

lizzypopbottle Wed 29-Jun-16 20:32:45

Here is a very interesting link: (do read right down to bottom)

www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/olympic-britain/parliament-and-elections/representatives-of-society/

JC may be altruistically motivated but (to the casual observer i.e. me ?) he comes across as an uncompromising, stiff necked, far left, blinkered, bumbling, political dinosaur. His leadership style seems to be 'my way or the highway' which is why his shadow cabinet is looking a bit bare lately. He's only lasted this long because he refuses to go.

rosesarered Wed 29-Jun-16 21:02:11

A fair description Lizzie

Anya Wed 29-Jun-16 21:05:53

Well I believe she is starting her challenge tomorrow. More courage? More ambition for certain, but I think she's unwise as it is likely to backfire on her.

Her sister, Maria, is an MP too I think. I seem to remember them when I worked in Liverpool ...over the water?

Anya Wed 29-Jun-16 21:09:43

Twin sister.

POGS Wed 29-Jun-16 21:35:33

I hope she has a tin hat!

Anniebach Wed 29-Jun-16 21:45:16

I think her brave , to risk her career and it is s great risk

POGS Wed 29-Jun-16 22:00:30

If you look at Durhamjen post on the 'other' Corbyn thread it is tantamount to political suicide.

She will need a tin hat and tin knickers too.

Anniebach Wed 29-Jun-16 22:12:12

I agree she will , this is why I think her brave