Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eu citizenship, anyone?

(127 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 08-Nov-16 20:07:44

WEll, here's a nice idea:

European Parliament considers plan to let individual Brits opt-in to keep their EU citizenship

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html

Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was 'an outrage'.

How bizarre. I thought they didn't want to be EU citizens.

These Brexitters are really confusing me...

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said."

How bonkers can you get? Outrage?! I think it's hilarious

All I can say to Ms Adye is "I didn't ask for Brexit and I certainly have no intention of uniting with you just because you think I should"

Sign me up for EU citizenship!grin

(Can't really see it happening, unfortunately)

icanhandthemback Sat 12-Nov-16 00:36:33

Immigration from the rest of the world is already controlled as there is no freedom of movement like there is with Europe. Everybody I know who voted Brexit did because they didn't like the idea of Britain losing sovereignty or becoming part of a Federal Europe which is the direction the EU masters are pushing for. I don't think any of them were anti freedom of movement per se but were concerned about how the country could afford the additional costs/over-crowding that brings. I think being an "associate" member of the EU could be a great idea which should be more of a healing thing than a stick to beat either side with but I doubt all the EU countries would go for it.