Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eu citizenship, anyone?

(127 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 08-Nov-16 20:07:44

WEll, here's a nice idea:

European Parliament considers plan to let individual Brits opt-in to keep their EU citizenship

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html

Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was 'an outrage'.

How bizarre. I thought they didn't want to be EU citizens.

These Brexitters are really confusing me...

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said."

How bonkers can you get? Outrage?! I think it's hilarious

All I can say to Ms Adye is "I didn't ask for Brexit and I certainly have no intention of uniting with you just because you think I should"

Sign me up for EU citizenship!grin

(Can't really see it happening, unfortunately)

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-16 15:39:54

Er, the EU isn't a country. Think letting go of British citizenship might make you officially stateless...

Everyone in the UK has a perfect right to disagree with the government as strongly as they like, and to voice that disagreement.

And to make their own decisions about citizenship.

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 19:44:37

sunseeker we are British and EU citizens at the moment until Brexit.

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 19:47:23

Well, I am! I'm a British and EU citizen under the terms of the Maastricht Treaty - I have a European Union (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) passport.

suzied Wed 09-Nov-16 19:50:42

Yes, sunseeker, why can't you be both? After all. You can hold a UK and Irish ( or other passport ) if you want. I'm looking into getting an Irish passport, but it's quite a kerfuffle.

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 19:52:36

Well, we can't automatically be both after Brexit, but that is the point of the OP.

It's a nice idea, perhaps feasible if people have strong links to other EU countries.

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 20:00:06

Can anybody shed light on my questions ? Still interested to know.

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:06:54

POGS as I see it you are not able to have EU citizenship without having citizenship of a member state.
Leaving the EU would mean relinquishing EU citizenship for British citizens.
Perhaps some people who live permanently in another EU country would apply for citizenship of that country and therefore retain their EU citizenship also through their citizenship of their adopted country.

However, I think what was proposed was for British citizens who live and work in other EU countries to be able to apply to retain their EU citizenship after Brexit without having to apply for dual nationality of the country where they reside/work.

Is that correct?

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:08:02

ps only part answered your questions!

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 20:19:24

Jalima

Not a ruddy clue if you are correct.

I don't understand how the European Union states the red line for them is the Free Movement of People and if the UK says 'NON MERCI' how can it possibly issue EU Citizenship to allow the UK citizens Free Movement throughout the 27 countries in the EU.

Am I missing the point here and it would only be available for those Brits living in the 27 countries in the EU? confused

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:23:10

I don't know the answer to that POGS

So - what about EU citizens living and working in the UK - will they apply for British citizenship or will it be a reciprocal arrangement where, as EU citizens, they can remain here? And British citizens retain EU membership (or only those who apply because they live and work in EU countries?)

In exchange for a trade agreement?
Cynical - me?

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:46:39

This is the bit I don't understand MaizieD:

The amendment suggests the provision of “European associate citizenship for those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former Member State; offers these associate citizens the rights of freedom of movement and to reside on its territory as well as being represented in the Parliament through a vote in the European elections on the European lists”.

being represented in the European Parliament - by whom exactly?
Unless they mean by an MEP in their EU country of residence. Which means that not just anyone who wishes to retain EU citizenship will be able to - just those who reside/work in an EU state.

Witzend Wed 09-Nov-16 21:38:45

My dh has applied for an Irish passport - he's entitled since he had an Irish grandparent.
Apparently the Irish passport office has been inundated with similar.
Not that we're going to go and live in Ireland, but he wants to keep the EU option.

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 21:43:38

My grandmother was French, can I apply for a French passport? And DD's granddad was Polish...goodness the options are endless! grin

MaizieD Wed 09-Nov-16 22:07:32

being represented in the European Parliament - by whom exactly?

That's the bit that puzzles me, too! 'Associate citizenship', yes, but representation seems unnecessary. Associate members of an organisation don't usually have a voice, surely?

BlueBelle Thu 10-Nov-16 04:28:52

Yes Anna you probably can if France accepts grandparents My daughter immediately sent for Irish passports for her two children ( their deceased dad was Irish and they were born there) The passports arrived about 2 months ago she herself was born in HK but that doesn't help her be a European citizen me I have English parents and grandparents on both sides and was born here so no escape

Ginny42 Thu 10-Nov-16 05:58:42

MaizieD,

Thank you so much for posting this information. My family situation is that my daughter married a European national and lives and works in Europe. They adopted a little boy, son of English expats but born there, so has a national passport. He comes through the passport control with them both. What will happen post Brexit if travelling with his mother only?

I desperately wanted for us all to remain European if that makes sense. Nothing to do with not being proud of being British. Just that it feels like a bond holding us together in political terms which will be gone post Brexit.

The whole thing makes me very sad.

Lewlew Thu 10-Nov-16 09:47:19

My DGD has a UK passport and a German passport from her mother's nationality. Her mother lives and works here for almost 10 years since uni. She could get a UK passport if she wanted, but likely will get a visa for permanent residency if required to do so.

The EU thingy sounds more like a visa programme to allow for UK citizens to opt in to cross borders in the EU for work/living.

I have US and UK passports. Did my citizenship several years ago. The US does not 'recognise' dual citizenship, but recognises that having a passport in your country of residence makes family life easier. Whenever I travel to the US I have to use my US passport. Otherwise, it stays in the drawer and I travel as a UK citizen everwhere else.

Lewlew Thu 10-Nov-16 09:52:07

Ginny42 children always travel with their parent through entry ports. Even before I had my UK passport, as a spouse I was allowed with my visa stamp to live here in my US passport, to go through with my husband.

Once I could not be in the same queue, and that was at a small airport here in the UK as the attendant was not cross-trained in examining non-European/UK passports. But oddly, I was the only one in the 'other' queue and was through before husband! Weird.

Lilyflower Thu 10-Nov-16 10:13:15

“If you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.” Theresa May.

I guess the above words are relevant to this thread.

caocao Thu 10-Nov-16 10:26:29

Whilst I feel that it is a deliberate attempt by Brussels to cause division I would suggest the leave campaign embrace and welcome it - everyone can have their cake and eat it! With of course the proviso that any payment demanded by the EU is paid by those consuming the cake.
Unless those leading the Leave campaign know something we don't, such as the ballot papers aren't as anonymous as we believe and those who voted Brexit can be identified and excluded.

On a more serious not the EU Commission web site states

"Any person who holds the nationality of an EU country is automatically also an EU citizen. EU citizenship is additional to and does not replace national citizenship. It is for each EU country to lay down the conditions for the acquisition and loss of nationality of that country.

Citizenship of the Union is conferred directly on every EU citizen by the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU."

So if the UK is not a member of the EU, its citizens could not be EU citizens without that Treaty which covers all areas of EU law being unpicked and rewritten with the agreement of all member states.

I can't see it happening and do believe this "proposal" has been made to cause disruption and division within the UK.

caocao Thu 10-Nov-16 10:28:04

on a more serious NOTE

MinniesMum Thu 10-Nov-16 10:33:10

Bearing in mind we live in a country which half the world at least, would like to live in, I am surprised that so many people appear to have no loyalty to the UK at all. Very sad especially as we are approaching Remembrance Day and all those who died fighting for this country. I have lived and worked in Germany, France and the USA before we joined the Common Market or the EU and never had a problem with travelling. However, I have no wish to settle there or hold their passports.
It rather highlights the reasons for so many people voting to Leave, when it is clear from reading many of the above posts that so many people come from other countries and that appears to be where their loyalties lie

Jalima Thu 10-Nov-16 10:37:16

Ginny my DD and DGS both have dual nationality - if travelling with DGS on her own she would come into the UK on their UK passports , if travelling with DSIL they would probably use their other passports.
However, the queue for UK/EU is sometimes longer!

They can apply for a British passport for the child so he can come through with his mother.

Yorkshiregel Thu 10-Nov-16 10:49:05

The EU is watching its Cash Cow walk away and is in a panic. I will not be asking for dual Nationality. They are trying all ways to keep their hand in the till. Sorry, we are leaving, you slammed the door in our face once too often.

Yorkshiregel Thu 10-Nov-16 10:54:42

It will never happen. As soon as your passport runs out you will be given a British passport like it or not. You are British. If you do not want to be British there is just about time for you to move to France/Germany/anywhere in the EU. You cannot have your cake and eat it. For goodness sake why not support the country you live in?