Gransnet forums

News & politics

Biggest political hypocrite 2016

(234 Posts)
durhamjen Wed 28-Dec-16 00:14:19

These are some nominations.
Who would you choose from the list?

i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/161226-political-hypocrite-nominations.png?w=529

rosesarered Fri 06-Jan-17 10:20:47

grin

trisher Fri 06-Jan-17 15:05:28

If it's a contest between Corbyn and Farage Farage has to win.
Only one of them has presented himself as a man of the people in spite of his banking background. Only one has drawn a salary from an organisation he wanted destroyed and never supported. Only one has cosied up to millionaires and pretended to care for the poor. Only one expresses racist and xenophobic views under the disguise of being truly British but has a German wife. Step forward Nigel.

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 15:29:45

Only one has betrayed the members of a party he now leads , this is enough for me .

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 15:32:12

ab,

He expressed his views before the referendum. He never pretended to be 100% in favour of the EU. As far as I'm concerned, he's never pretended to be anything other than a neo-hippy with some idealistic views. My personal feeling is that he's a wally, but that doesn't make him a hypocrite.

Nobody can take this particular accolade away from Farage IMHO.

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 15:40:23

Corbyn has 'betrayed' one section of the 'olde' Labour Party - not all of them.

When Farage finally resigned as UKIP leader, he was having a “great time” since quitting as Ukip leader because he no longer has to deal with “low-grade people” every day.

The MEP said leaving the role meant he had been freed from having to associate with people he would never choose to have a drink with or employ.
(...)

In an interview with The Telegraph, he said, “I am having a great time. I am not having to deal with low-grade people every day, I am not responsible for what our branch secretary in Lower Slaughter said half-cut on Twitter last night - that isn’t my fault any more.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-ukip-donald-trump_uk_584b2c93e4b040989fa6d966

I expect UKIP activists in 'Lower Slaughter' might feel the same way you do, annie.

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 15:48:25

So it's ok to betray older party members Daphne , betrayal is wrong regardless of age , I am surprised you can dismiss it , I can only assume you were not working for the party in the eighties, rather a johnnie come lately obviously

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 15:52:23

In point of fact, Farage is joint 'winner' with Trump, so who knows which of them gained the most votes?

There were only 350 of them anyway...grin

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 16:08:35

And a very limited choice