Gransnet forums

News & politics

Article 50

(860 Posts)
Mair Thu 26-Jan-17 14:36:09

Well its been announced that Jeremy Corbyn is applying a three line whip to his MPs to make them support the triggering of article 50.

I admire Jeremy for this, it's an act of leadership, and it could save Labours bacon in the many Northern Brexit seats that they hold, so in that sense I am not entirely pleased because it will weaken UKIPs chances. It will also weaken Paul Nuttalls chances in Stoke.

What do the Bremain Labour supporters on GN feel about this?

durhamjen Sun 26-Feb-17 13:57:12

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/us-billionaire-mercer-helped-back-brexit

Was this legal?

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 23:24:07

Daphne, I think you might be interested in this, particularly the second article.

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/unethical-academics-are-making-a-mockery-of-our-education-system/

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 21:37:36

Goodness me, so many articles/so many links and still a layperson who is really out in the world made the right decision. Strange that.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 20:52:31

I agree, Welshwife. I really do wonder if May knows what she is doing. It can't all just have been to try and win two by-elections.

Welshwife Fri 24-Feb-17 20:17:10

I think many of these rights we will not really appreciate till we have lost them. Unless the Govt are more stupid than they appear they are well aware that they are unable to guarantee many of these rights and just don't care.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 19:45:48

Lords amendments to be discussed. That should keep them busy.

r.mail.crowdjustice.co.uk/h4ahw2movale3d.html

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 19:38:51

r.mail.crowdjustice.co.uk/h4ahw2l3zale3d.html

EU citizens rights that we are about to give up through article 50.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 11:33:12

There's an interesting sentence in this article.

ukandeu.ac.uk/immigration-is-falling-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

Migration is not just a matter of the UK choosing migrants; migrants have to choose us.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 10:21:36

The Electoral Commission is looking into the spending on the referendum.

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-donations/details-of-major-campaign-spending-during-eu-referendum-published-by-electoral-commission

Irregularities on both sides, it seems.

rosesarered Wed 22-Feb-17 12:14:09

Cor! What a news and politics junkie you are POGS! grin

POGS Wed 22-Feb-17 11:46:17

PS

Moved to live coverage from Parliament now!

POGS Wed 22-Feb-17 11:45:17

I'm currently watching Sir Ivan Rogers giving his account to the Select Committee rooms now, ' live ', on BBC Parliament.

A conservative MP has just raised an interesting question as to the 'supposed' 60 billion we ' could possibly owe ' the EU and raised the point a lot of it is for PENSIONS . He pointed out the poor quality of the EU Finances with regard to process and auditing . No argument from Sir Ivan Rogers I felt.

As for the Lords I firmly believe as with Parliament anybody who is 'called to speak' should ' declare their interest ' and those who have a pension or indeed any dealings with the European Union 'should' declare an interest.

Why? Because they swear an 'Oath of Allegience' to the EU which is applicable whilst ' serving ' and afterwards whist receiving an EU Pension'

" Having been appointed as a Member of the European Commission by the European Council, following the vote of consent by the European Parliament I solemnly undertake: to respect the Treaties and the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union in the fulfilment of all my duties; to be completely independent in carrying out my responsibilities, in the general interest of the Union; in the performance of my tasks, neither to seek nor to take instructions from any Government or from any other institution, body, office or entity; to refrain from any action incompatible with my duties or the performance of my tasks.

I formally note the undertaking of each Member State to respect this principle and not to seek to influence Members of the Commission in the performance of their tasks. I further undertake to respect, both during and AFTER MY TERM OF OFFICE, the obligation arising therefrom, and in particular the duty to behave with integrity and discretion as regards the acceptance, after I have ceased to hold office, of certain appointments or benefits."

This has always been a sore point but the Referendum Result , Triggering of Article 50 has once again reared the ugly head of why they do not have to ' declare their interest ' over any personal EU finances such as pensions.

JessM Wed 22-Feb-17 10:00:09

Straying back to Article 50, today's Times front page story to the effect that David Davies has said that we will still need a lot of EU migrants to fill lower paid jobs for a long time to come.

Welshwife Tue 21-Feb-17 15:51:20

I think it likely that some of the H oL work very hard. The programmes starting next week look interesting.

Jalima Tue 21-Feb-17 15:39:52

'Meet The Lords' on BBC2 next Monday at 9pm

Jalima Tue 21-Feb-17 15:38:15

Think going in to sign on and claim the allowance then outside again to the waiting taxi.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/21/peer-kept-taxi-running-claiming-300-house-lords-allowance/

JessM Tue 21-Feb-17 14:02:13

Which is 75. This would give an "expert" a ten year stint after retirement.
17% are 80 or over and the 70-80 band is the most populous. So retiring just the over 80s would not make enough of an inroad into the 840.
Yup, I think 75 would do nicely.

JessM Tue 21-Feb-17 13:54:55

Time for a quick cull. Bring in a retirement age in line with top judges?

Firecracker123 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:48:53

Think unelected getting £300 just for turning up and falling asleep.

trisher Tue 21-Feb-17 09:55:58

Doesn't matter how long it goes on dj some of them are asleep anyway. Think care home and the residents dozing through the morning.

durhamjen Mon 20-Feb-17 21:31:34

I don't think the lords should go on so long. There are a few of them asleep there.

durhamjen Mon 20-Feb-17 19:51:29

The Stop trump demo outside the houses of parliament is not just Stop trump. It's also the onedaywithoutus demo.

www.facebook.com/1DayWithoutUs/

A good video on here. That restaurant might not be open today, Jess.
I read that lots of MacDonalds were closed last week in the US for the same reason. They could not find out if the owners just closed them in solidarity, or if they did not have enough staff.

JessM Mon 20-Feb-17 19:31:16

And more from the Guardian about the negotiations.
“At the moment, it seems like Mrs May thinks of the EU as a restaurant where she can walk in order everything on the menu and then demand that the restaurant itself pays the bill,” the former Bulgarian prime minister Sergei Stanishev said last week.
etc
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/20/divide-and-rule-tactics-could-leave-uk-without-deal-say-eu-politicians?CMP=share_btn_tw

durhamjen Mon 20-Feb-17 12:54:18

This is an interesting article, showing what the other 27 countries think is the most important deal with the UK.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ng-interactive/2017/feb/20/what-the-eu27-want-brexit-red-lines-from-the-other-side-of-the-table

durhamjen Mon 20-Feb-17 12:51:31

Theresa May's wishful thinking.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/20/divide-and-rule-tactics-could-leave-uk-without-deal-say-eu-politicians