Gransnet forums

News & politics

Reluctant to join the discussion.

(275 Posts)
morethan2 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:45:21

I occasionally drop in on the political threads. Just a quick look. Today I noted that there was a query of sorts saying that some of us regular uses never comment or join in the debate. I just wondered why? I know why I don't. Apart from the fact that I'm having a particularly difficult time dealing with family illness the reasons are.
1 the threads are far too long so I have difficulty keeping up
2 the posters seem so clever and politically acute that I don't feel I have enough knowledge.
3 I haven't got the time to check my facts so am reluctant to just express my feelings
4 the posters can be very robust if they don't agree with each other.
5 perhaps I'm a bit wimpish and can't take the backlash if I disagree with a post.
Maybe I'm a bit delicate. How do others feel?

daphnedill Wed 01-Feb-17 23:58:52

I don't suspect Chewbacca. I know. However, in the spirit of conciliation, I'm not naming anybody.

The nature of this site means that people don't have to be quick with responses. However, it is the one 'serious' political area of the site and I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that people would support opinions with some facts.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Feb-17 00:21:57

Fair comment daphne. Maybe I should avoid those topics then until I've learned the lay of the land a bit more. As I said earlier, it was probably my naievity in posting on a well established thread that didn't help matters.

Mair Thu 02-Feb-17 01:12:47

Maybe there should be two political forums one polite and one for no holds barred?

How about Vicarage ladies tearoom and Old battle axes?
wink

Mair Thu 02-Feb-17 01:27:37

A simple guide to the 'lay of the land' Chew is that there is a group of poster furious over Brexit, Trump and Britain's 'failure' to take in even more boat people; some of these like to chat about politics only to those who share their views or at least similar ones. They hate to be challenged.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Feb-17 04:08:49

Thanks Mair, something for me to keep in mind!

absent Thu 02-Feb-17 06:28:28

If you have something to say about a political or news issue, why not say it? No one knows who you are and won't turn up at your front door frothing at the mouth. It might be a refreshing picture or someone might shoot you down in flames. Does that really matter? You can always reply …or not.

absent Thu 02-Feb-17 06:34:44

You can challenge me any time you like Mair. I have never had the slightest difficulty defending my viewpoint. Moreover, and perhaps more importantly, I have never had the slightest difficulty admitting that I was wrong when someone has convinced me that is the case. By the way, I am invariably polite because that I was how I was raised.

pearl79 Thu 02-Feb-17 07:28:56

why must politics be an argument?
can we not debate?
can we not share our views, explain, learn even?
is that not the basis of gransnet, to support each other in times of need; share, debate, comfort, grow?

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 07:39:11

Totally agree pearll79.
And glad morethan2 started the thread.

Believe it or not, there are still some gransnetters who dont think the likes of you two and others exist, and no one could possibly be afraid. And if they were, that is their fault hmm

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 07:47:04

Maybe there should be two political forums one polite and one for no holds barred?

I think there should be.
But I dont think it would work for long.

But it appears that maybe some of the same posters dont like long threads anyway, so another one could be started. And so on?

kittylester Thu 02-Feb-17 07:49:27

It's the aggressive challenging with the implications of beibg completely thick that prevent me doing much at all. I have lots of opinions mostly acquired by observation as I don't have time (or the inclination) to spend ages reading stuff on the internet etc. My observations are as valid as the numbers bandied around but they are often poo pooed!

ninathenana Thu 02-Feb-17 07:52:55

I could have written the op

grannypiper Thu 02-Feb-17 07:56:05

cant believe the sneering post i have just read on another thread regarding the OP of this thread.I think the saying "lefties always out themselves" may hold a grain of truth.

Anya Thu 02-Feb-17 08:19:49

It's not just on GN though is it? If you have strong views on certain subjects, such as politics or religion, and someone in RL has opposing views then discussion can get very heated and aggressive. People, especially as certain type, will try to shout you down, or bombard with ridiculous questions and made up facts and figures.

That's why I avoid anything but bland subjects with certain people in RL, indeed that's why I avoid certain people in RL.

Anya Thu 02-Feb-17 08:21:43

And less of the clichés and labels please grannypiper - that 'saying' you quoted is meaningless.

Christinefrance Thu 02-Feb-17 08:24:51

I think some topics are always going to exercise people, obviously politics and religion. I would not like to see an end to robust discussion on GN even though I am not a political animal. Sometimes posters descend into personal attacks and this is a shame but there is usually someone who defends as well.
Don't let GN become tea and sympathy only, there is room for all topics.

f77ms Thu 02-Feb-17 08:30:14

I sometimes have a look at the political threads , they always seem to descend into personal and often sarcastic attacks on other posters . I would like to join in but am put off , maybe I am too sensitive blush

Badenkate Thu 02-Feb-17 09:00:29

I don't understand 'lefties always out themselves'. I would say I'm well to the left of most on GN - I'm a member of the Labour Party and treasurer of our local branch; I voted twice for Jeremy Corbyn as leader (but probably won't again); I voted remain and am still very angry about the result. However, I don't think I've every been nasty or dismissive about anyone else's opinion and have tried (often unsuccessfully) to have adult discussions. I also have avoided many threads because no matter how they begin, the same GNetters arrive and the same comments start flying around - as it has here.

whitewave Thu 02-Feb-17 09:04:07

Perhaps this thread ought to have come under the all singing all dancing Gransnet Cafe?

Greyduster Thu 02-Feb-17 09:06:21

I stay off the political threads now. A lot of the time it comes down to semantics. If you do not weigh every single word before you hit the post button, there will always be someone, as I have found, who will take great delight in pinning you to the wall like a butterfly and pulling your wings off. Life is too short. I live with a man with strong political views which he airs at every opportunity. Gransnet is my escape from that.

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 09:09:21

Yes, political threads under Gransnet Cafe could work for some. The way to go?

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Feb-17 09:10:23

I've occasionally put a toe in the water of a political thread. I've been dragged in, chewed up and spat out on the bank. Life's too short.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Feb-17 09:12:51

We have just the one of those cutesy plaques in our house. Warning, retired person on the premises. Knows it all and plenty of time to tell it. Sums it up for me really grin

MawBroon Thu 02-Feb-17 09:18:41

A simple guide to the 'lay of the land' Chew is that there is a group of poster (sic) furious over Brexit, Trump and Britain's 'failure' to take in even more boat people; some of these like to chat about politics only to those who share their views or at least similar ones. They hate to be challenged

Well that would appear to put the lid on any discussion about current affairs hmm.
If one is saddened by Brexit or fearful about Trump, clearly Mair thinks one should only share those views with like-minded people. (The "boat people" reference just comes across as dismissive )
Clearly there are many who have strong feelings as it should be but most of us can debate and discuss without sinking to the level of ad hominem attacks or cheap jibes.
I don't see it as a homogeneous group, as many agree on some issues but disagree on others.
(Opinions on Farage and UKIP tend to be fairly universal however wink)

Izabella Thu 02-Feb-17 09:25:51

I hold extremely strong views on politics and religion. Life has taught me that it is better to keep them to myself as a lot of people seem to think they either have the answer or know better than me. Various friends have polar opposite views from me. We agree to ignore certain subjects and get along famously.