Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could this be the start of a nasty period in Britain as Brexit starts to hit?

(184 Posts)
GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 10:49:26

Saw this in the Huffington Post this morning. Could this poor woman be the first of many? Surely those who voted for Brexit didnt mean this type of thing to happen, with families broken up, people sent to holding centres and put on a plane with just the clothes they are wearing? If this is how it is going to be, I am not sure I want to live here anymore. I feel very sad this morning, don't even have the energy to feel angry. For those who don't like clicking on links; this is about a Singapore born woman, married to a British man since 1988, children, grandchildren. Due to irregularities in her status, she was taken to a holding centre and then put on a plane to Singapore wearing just the clothes she was wearing and with £12 in her pocket.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2017/02/26/grandmother-irene-clennell-deported-uk-27-years_n_15032264.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-news

MawBroon Mon 27-Feb-17 10:54:57

I absolutely decry what has happened here, but see NO connection with BREXIT or our attitude to EU nationals.
It is more a case of the jobsworths being too high handed.

yggdrasil Mon 27-Feb-17 11:12:32

It is to do with immigration. And that is what a lot of those who voted for Brexit wanted, to get rid of the foreigners

Christinefrance Mon 27-Feb-17 11:14:11

It does seem the authorities get to the easy targets, people who are not doing any harm and in fact are helping the country. I understand this lady is a carer for her husband. If you are a one legged murderer /rapist then you can remain with impunity. The country has gone crazy.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 11:53:11

Mawbroon yes, absolutely! will this thread be another Brexit bashing excercise for those who enjoy it?
What happened in the case of the woman deported ( in the OP) was indeed a jobsworth or two in the immigration dept.Sometimes they get it wrong, as we see, and other times seem too lax on others.This is an immigration issue, which has been going on long, long before Brexit, so please do not lump the two things together.

daphnedill Mon 27-Feb-17 11:55:16

Agreed, MB. BREXIT has nothing to do with this case. The Home Office could have intervened, but chose not to.

The government has just admitted that immigration is unlikely to decrease after BREXIT. Those who voted to 'get rid of foreigners' are going to be very disappointed.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 11:55:24

Wrong, completely wrong yygdrasil you cannot lump 'foreigners' all together, what a lot of people who voted for Brexit wanted was an end to unlimited immigration from the EU.

GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:03:11

This was not started as an anti-Brexit rant, and I don't want it to end up as such. Agree that there have been several such cases due to rigid application of rules by immigration authorities without any thought for the implications for the family left behind, but my concern is that will there be more such over zealous application of residence regulations as the Home Office desperately tries to reduce the net immigration figures.

daphnedill Mon 27-Feb-17 12:08:13

Good point! It certainly seems that more of these cases are being highlighted, but I don't know if they have actually increased.

PS roses Have you carried out a survey? How do you know that people who voted for BREXIT wanted an end to unlimited immigration. There was nothing on the ballot paper to state that. Are you just assuming that people agreed with you?

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 12:10:08

I did say what a lot of people who voted Brexit wanted, not all there is actually a difference.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 12:12:23

I understand your point Gill and we must hope not, each case has to be looked at on it's own merits ( for deportation) and we are not always 'in' on all the facts.

HildaW Mon 27-Feb-17 12:21:16

I would still love to know what people who voted for Brexit were actually voting for. I see and hear a lot about what they say they were NOT voting for but, to this day, I still do not understand what they were voting for.

Azie09 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:13:35

Sadly HildaW I think a lot of them didn't know. They were disaffected in various ways and were sold a pack of lies and misinformation by the Leave campaign, that dreadful character Farage and the tabloid media. The rise in hate crimes cannot be ignored. I can't bear to read the news these days and however the economy fares, I fear for the future social fabric of our country.

It's the same in the US where only the other day an Indian engineer was shot by a man shouting 'go back to your own country '. Simplistic stories told to convince the simple minded who then feel entitled to wreak violence on those they can identify as 'foreign'.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Feb-17 13:25:12

I do not think that this case has anything whatever to do with Brexit.

I also do not think that we can know what motivated individuals to vote out - it is too easy to assume bad motives in someone whose decision you disagree with. The issue of the EU and Britain's relationship with it has been very problematical over decades - Brexit is just the culmination of those problems; and there are other EU countries who are watching GB very carefully; countries who have shared these longstanding problems about the EU's distance from its original brief and its unhealthy extension of power.

MaizieD Mon 27-Feb-17 13:35:33

There's this one, too:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39098562

The girl in question has been here since she was 12 and is within 3 months of obtaining a First class degree in engineering. A potentially extremely valuable contributor to Britain; we need to hold onto all the talent we can get if we're going to idiotically try to go it alone in the world.

HildaW Mon 27-Feb-17 15:18:50

Would just like to clarify that I did not and do not 'assume bad motives' in those who voted for Brexit....I just still cannot understand what people were voting for. A close friend who daily filled his FB page with all sorts of pro brexit postings in the long run up to the vote suddenly shut up very promptly when the vote was made....on being pressed by several people face to face about his motivation...he became very defensive and simply sited 'personal reasons' for voting and refused to elaborate. I doubt I will ever understand the vote and it worries the hell out of me as to what will happen and how my children and grandchildren will fare.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:39:21

Could this be the start of a nasty period in Britain as Brexit starts to hit?
This was not started as an anti-Brexit rant, and I don't want it to end up as such.

confused that is exactly what it seems like. They are non-EU citizens so I fail to see what it has to do with Brexit.

This was brough up on another thread and is it very wrong and is, I think, due to over-zealous officials deciding in a very arbitrary fashion who will be an easy target to deport to show the public that they are doing something about immigration! Unfortunately they are picking on the wrong people, the easy targets and some who should never be allowed to stay are managing to get leave to stay despite criminal records.

The case MaizieD mentions too is disturbing and I have mentioned a while ago about Australian, Canadian or New Zealand citizens (Commonwealth citizens) who have been deported when they have in fact been making a valuable contribution to the UK. There is also the case of the young Australian mother married to a British man with two British children and another baby on the way who was deported.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:42:11

I would have thought that, with the country voting for Brexit, then Commonwealth and other citizens with links to the UK would have found it easier to stay here. I do realise that the rules for non-EU citizens were more stringently applied but we're on the way out now.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:48:23

Correction: I understand that the young Australian mother was allowed to stay in the end, judges ruled that she could stay and the Home Office was going to fight to get this overturned but 'relented' in the end.

I put a link on the other thread to sign a petition to allow the student to stay; here it is
www.change.org/p/amber-rudd-mp-stop-shiromini-getting-deported-she-is-three-months-away-from-completing-a-degree

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:50:02

And one for Irene Clennell:
www.change.org/p/save-irene-clennell-from-being-deported-her-family-is-in-the-uk

Although she has already been deported

Anya Mon 27-Feb-17 16:10:31

Sadly this is nothing new, it has been going on for years. Whole families, some running successful businesses, young people in the middle of their higher education, etc.. If people didn't know this then they've been burying their heads in the sand.

GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:13:13

These are all such sad cases, and so bloody pointless. The point I was trying, clumsily perhaps, was that I wondered if with Brexit on the horizon, we would see more of these incidents. Those who voted for Brexit were generally voting for an end to 'uncontrolled' immigration, and surely the people who are not EU or former Commonwealth could now be more vulnerable to being expelled? The subject of EU citizens is, as we know, tricky, and the government has to walk a thin line so as not to engender some sort of awful tit for tat expulsion frenzy. I fail to see what is gained by expelling someone who is contributing to the economy, has made a family life, and is to all intents and purposes a citizen.

Anya Mon 27-Feb-17 16:19:31

Indeed

JessM Mon 27-Feb-17 16:29:20

A nephew of my friend got a job assessing asylum claims straight out of uni. Cameron set a target for net immigration which was not based on the needs of the economy or anything else. May failed to get to grips with it. The UK economy needs immigrants and has ways of inviting them in - whether it be on short term visas from Australia or on the plane from Spain etc.
The Tories know that cutting immigration drastically would have a terrible effect on the economy but they are worried about votes.
There was a BBC news report last week about how there tourism industry in York relies on (mainly EU) immigrants.
Please sign the petition above. A charity is providing a barrister to try to get a judicial review to prevent this girl and her mum being deported. I feel so sorry for her. Last week she was doing well in her studies in a Welsh university. Today in Yarlswood, wondering whether she will be put on a plane tomorrow.

JessM Mon 27-Feb-17 16:31:32

Here's the latest. University VC pleading for her to stay.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39105601