Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could this be the start of a nasty period in Britain as Brexit starts to hit?

(185 Posts)
GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 10:49:26

Saw this in the Huffington Post this morning. Could this poor woman be the first of many? Surely those who voted for Brexit didnt mean this type of thing to happen, with families broken up, people sent to holding centres and put on a plane with just the clothes they are wearing? If this is how it is going to be, I am not sure I want to live here anymore. I feel very sad this morning, don't even have the energy to feel angry. For those who don't like clicking on links; this is about a Singapore born woman, married to a British man since 1988, children, grandchildren. Due to irregularities in her status, she was taken to a holding centre and then put on a plane to Singapore wearing just the clothes she was wearing and with £12 in her pocket.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2017/02/26/grandmother-irene-clennell-deported-uk-27-years_n_15032264.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-news

Rinouchka Mon 27-Feb-17 17:58:21

As an American citizen, married to a Brit, I have had permanent residence for over 40 years, have only worked in the UK as a teacher in state schools, educated thousands of 16-19 year olds over 3 decades, have always paid my taxes, etc. I consider the UK my home.

Should I be worried next time I am abroad and return home??

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-17 10:28:40

Good news this morning that Shiromini has not been deported and is being allowed to finish her degree course

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/exemplary-student-who-faced-deportation-9927480

Jalima Tue 28-Feb-17 10:35:35

Thanks for that MaizieD
Good news - let's hope it is not just temporary and she can get her degree, a job and apply for citizenship (if she wants to now).

rosesarered Tue 28-Feb-17 10:38:33

Yes, that is the right thing to happen.Sometimes the immigration people may be doing the right thing 'on paper' but the wrong thing in real life.The easier options are always gone for, but luckily, appeals kick in.

Azie09 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:11:30

It may be that some people would like to think that there is no connection between immigration controls and Brexit but this is a very good article that makes it clear that, in fact, the whole business is about the Tory party staying in power and the Home Office having to come up with the goods and keep out as many immigrants as possible. The big picture is what's important not odd cases where an appeal may have led to a rescindment of the instruction to leave.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/11/brexit-uk-immigrants-eu-nationals-home-office

Fitzy54 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:29:30

I thought the "big picture" was that Brexit isn't likely to have a substantial effect on immigration?

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/26/immigration-will-not-dramatically-fall-after-brexit-says-amber-rudd

dbDB77 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:39:37

Rinouchka - did you never think of applying for British citizenship? Since you feel that the UK is your home then that would give you the security you need.
I agree with others - non-EU immigrant cases have nothing to do with Brexit.

Jalima Tue 28-Feb-17 14:44:17

It may be a good idea Rinouchka
But you may have to take a test in the English language hmm

(that's meant to be a joke btw)

GillT57 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:03:08

Very interesting and frightening article azie09

Deedaa Tue 28-Feb-17 21:37:49

The government seems to be developing tunnel vision when it comes to Brexit. They are fixing on immigration as the big issue and want to be seen to be doing something.

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-17 22:27:43

I think this is connected with Brexit because now that the government has admitted that they won't be able to restrict immigration, and other countries have made it clear that they want increased emigration to the UK as part of trade deals, they are back to the pre-referendum scrabble to limit immigration in any way that they possibly can. Theresa May has painted herself into this corner by insisting that immigration was a primary cause of the No vote. She signally failed to cut immigration while she was Home Secretary; I doubt if she can do any better now.

Although, the post Brexit picture for workers here on short term visas set out in this blog looks so grim that a) it would not be surprising if fewer people would want to come here to work and b)suggests that employmment practices could become even worse than they can be at present; practices which might arouse our indignation and disgust if reported from other countries.

EU workers will no longer be in the UK as fellow EU citizens with exactly the same rights as UK EU citizens. In future, the EU workers will be here on work visas, probably two or five year renewable. These will be awarded through sponsorship by their employer. That will put them at the absolute mercy of employers and make them terrified of complaint or even standing against gross abuse and illegality. The conditions at the Sports Direct warehouse will seem good compared to what is coming in workplaces throughout the UK, once people like Mike Ashley can simply have “troublemakers” instantly deported.
www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/02/brexit-will-lower-wages/comment-page-1/#comment-658434

durhamjen Tue 28-Feb-17 23:37:51

Rinouchka, only if you are out of the UK for two years, as far as I am aware.

Irene Clennell has nine weeks, I think, in which to appeal. If she doesn't she will not be able to reapply for ten years, it was said on the radio this morning. Can you imagine how much it will cost the country to support her sick husband over that time? She is his main carer.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/02/6-times-home-office-broke-british-families-name-immigration

One of my sons has a Spanish wife. He was made redundant over the summer. If his wife, also a teacher who has been here over 20 years, is made redundant, she is worried that she could be deported as neither of them will be earning. At the moment there is no incentive to apply for citizenship, as it can easily be turned down for no obvious reason.
I read today about a British wife with a French husband who has been turned down, so they are not going to bother trying again. They are going to go to Scandinavia. He is a scientist, exactly the sort of person we say we want to keep here.

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/28/scottish-woman-and-french-husband-quit-uk-over-brexit

durhamjen Tue 28-Feb-17 23:40:49

This might be good news for EU citizens living here.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/28/theresa-may-faces-defeat-in-lords-over-rights-of-eu-citizens

On the other hand, it might put May's back up even more.
Hope she sees sense and allows this one change to article 50.

Badenkate Wed 01-Mar-17 08:47:10

One of the things we should be really worrying about is those non-UK residents living here who have saleable skills - scientists, engineers, academics etc - who contribute so much to the UK's economy. Why should they stay when they are not apparently welcomed? We have lived in other countries and know how soon you can feel unwanted and vulnerable. As DH said this morning, if I was in that situation now, I'd be looking to move somewhere else as soon as possible.

JessM Wed 01-Mar-17 09:03:45

Absolutely Badenkate The scientific community are horrified.
Lords Amendment today likely in favour of preserving the rights of EU citizens currently in UK.

AdeleJay Wed 01-Mar-17 10:22:06

GillT57 - it's beyond comprehension.

Kim19 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:30:09

GillT57, if you didn't mean this to turn into a Brexit rant, why use the terminology in your initial thread? Result inevitable I would respectfully suggest.

GlamM Wed 01-Mar-17 10:34:14

This type of ignorance from the people in charge has been going on since the dawn of time , brexit has nothing to do with it but is a great thing to blame for it. People voted out , more than voted in - fact. Politicians lie - fact. If we continue to be decent kind human beings then the good should outway the bad. The vote hasn't changed who I am. It shouldn't change you. Peace & love x

Linbrikat Wed 01-Mar-17 10:35:00

I'll just leave this here with no comment

extranewsfeed.com/50-dumb-fuck-reasons-for-leaving-the-eu-66a40c72c1da#.3b4wa9wnw

radicalnan Wed 01-Mar-17 10:38:46

No, these things are not Brexit related. I have read a few cases of people who have been here for years, married etc but not done the paperwork.........Brexit was voted for last June, the home office are not that speedy at enforcement.

Brexit was about controlling unfettered immigration, we cannot take everybody. It is about (in part) preventing the weakening of existing cultures, we would all campaign to save indians up the Amazon and yet see our own culture as disposable. Other EU countries are saying this too. An influx of people who naturally want to bring their own ways / religion / structures is going to be a problem, we have to have ways to cope with that.

Look at the other EU countries, they are saying the same thing. We cannot afford to take all comers and pay them the same benefits as UK nationals, when in many cases, it is paid to children, who are not here and then receive fabulous benefits with the exchange rates to their home country, where wages are very poor.

I voted out because I resent the way the EU controls all the traditional remedies and that meant many were removed fro the shelves.

I do not think open boards are safe, the bomber who killed people at the Christmas market was able to go all over Europe before being captured.

I am surprised that people cannot know, what people who voted out wanted, it isnt as if there is no mention of it in the media.

Best thing to do is educate yourself about the Brexit point of view if that is the way we are heading and you don't understand why. It will not be perfect, the EU were given chances to adapt and refused, we do not elect them and cannot sack them. The only option then is to leave.

greatgranny Wed 01-Mar-17 10:43:37

Not only ludicrous, but totally lacking in humanity and common sense. I voted Remain, but thought we must all go along with the majority vote. I'm sure many Leavers are also appalled at this stupid action.

Lilyflower Wed 01-Mar-17 10:46:48

'Hard cases make bad law' has been the legal maxim time out of mind. There will be many such cases of outrageous extremities by the media from now on to discredit the reasonable democratic decision made by the electorate. Conflating the perfectly reasonable desire to regain control over UK borders with a case of over zealous, local decision making is not rational.

People need to remain cool, objective and logical in their attitudes to exit from the EU. Hot headed, subjective, emotionalism helps no one, especially when it is combined with partial or complete misinformation.

icanhandthemback Wed 01-Mar-17 11:08:22

HildaW, I suspect the reason that many Brexiteers have kept quiet about their reasons for their choices is the fact they get fearsomely bashed for their views. It is no good saying to an ardent Remainer that British Sovereignty was your main concern rather than immigration or you were worried about the infrastructure not being there if uncontrolled immigration continued or that an organisation that needs ALL the other countries to agree for change to take place might be proving to be unworkable. You are just labelled as "racist." I have friends who have stopped being friends with others just because they considered voting Brexit. No wonder Brexiteers keep their voices to a whisper.
As for the cases highlighted here, it will always be the case that there will be injustice if officials work under a tick box approach rather than using a bit of common sense too. I'd have thought that for people with strong ties to a business, family, etc., should be given the chance to apply for leave to stay in such circumstances.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 01-Mar-17 11:52:49

Daphnedill
Contrary to your opinions, and to which we all have a right, as a Brexit who we allow in to our country as does the U.S makes sense.
The UK want workers not shirkers, we have enough of our own thank you.
I have expat relatives in the U.S.In the suburbs where they live my relatives are but of a small minority who can speak english.The rest are made up of all countries.Not speaking English did not prevent them getting a green card.They were there to work.That is what the U.S wanted and hopefully like the U.S this country will follow suit.Let us have those who
want to make the UK prosper and work with us.Not those who see the UK as a free ride.

daphnedill Wed 01-Mar-17 11:54:59

sarahellenwhitney Where have I stated my opinion of immigrants?