Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could this be the start of a nasty period in Britain as Brexit starts to hit?

(185 Posts)
GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 10:49:26

Saw this in the Huffington Post this morning. Could this poor woman be the first of many? Surely those who voted for Brexit didnt mean this type of thing to happen, with families broken up, people sent to holding centres and put on a plane with just the clothes they are wearing? If this is how it is going to be, I am not sure I want to live here anymore. I feel very sad this morning, don't even have the energy to feel angry. For those who don't like clicking on links; this is about a Singapore born woman, married to a British man since 1988, children, grandchildren. Due to irregularities in her status, she was taken to a holding centre and then put on a plane to Singapore wearing just the clothes she was wearing and with £12 in her pocket.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2017/02/26/grandmother-irene-clennell-deported-uk-27-years_n_15032264.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-news

varian Tue 07-Mar-17 19:15:21

Isn't it ironic that those of us who cherish democracy and our tolerant society are now having to rely on the unelected House of Lords to do their best to avert disaster?

durhamjen Tue 07-Mar-17 19:22:24

Yes, I know. That's why my daughters in law are not applying.

I read in the paper over the weekend about a woman who is married to a Frenchman, with a young daughter, who is feeling very upset about it all.
What people tend not to know is that marrying a British person and getting dual nationality was outlawed by May in 2012.

She is applying for German citizenship, which she legally can do because she is the granddaughter of German Jewish Holocaust refugees. How sick is that?

Even if her husband is offered permanent residency, it could be revoked if he left the country for longer than few months.
While typing this I am listening to David Davies saying Britain will still be an open and tolerant society.
I feel like throwing something at the TV.

durhamjen Tue 07-Mar-17 19:23:04

Yes, varian. See above.

petra Tue 07-Mar-17 22:54:12

The European court have ruled that member states do not have to issue visas on humanitarian grounds even when applicants are in fear of torture.
Not just the Tories, then? The nasty side of the saintly eu.

petra Tue 07-Mar-17 22:59:25

This story wasn't from the DM. It was from Reuters. I had to add that because anything anti eu is assumed as fake news.

durhamjen Tue 07-Mar-17 23:12:35

Just because they don't have to doesn't mean they don't.

daphnedill Tue 07-Mar-17 23:23:48

This was in response to a case brought by a Syrian family. They applied for a humanitarian visa in Syria. They intended to travel to Belgium, where they were going to apply for asylum. The visa was refused, because the Belgian authorities said the family planned to overstay the 90 day validity of the visa. The ECJ upheld the ruling, because it said that there is already a legal resettlemnet programme in place.

What the British government is doing is different.

durhamjen Wed 08-Mar-17 22:46:32

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/teenager-walid-durani-young-builder-of-year-deport-afghanistan-fleet-hampshire-visit-parliament-a7617606.html

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 16:12:40

This is why refugees want to come to Britain in the first place, because of the way they are treated in other EU countries that they pass through.

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/12/the-refugees-uk-wants-to-send-back-to-countries-where-they-were-abused

Unfortunately they do not know that numbers are more important to this government, and they are likely to be sent back.