Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voting quandry

(809 Posts)
marbles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:42:44

I'm a life-long Labour voter but cannot bear to suppprt Corbyn in the forthcoming election. The party will remain a shambles until it is under proper leadership and he seems to have totally lost the plot. I will not vote Conservative for many reasons and I feel betrayed by Theresa May's u-turn on Brexit, u-turn on not calling an election...there is no trust.

I will not abstain - the vote is a privilege. But for the first time I am seriously at a loss. There is no credible opposition. Locally there are no viable candidates that I feel I can endorse in order to make a point. I need to put my X in the box and it's the first time ever I've thought they are all as bad as each other.

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 10:18:41

White wave. Dot said Corbyn conforms , I questioned this, read her post

moxeyns Tue 25-Apr-17 10:20:22

I joined the Lib Dems after the Brexit vote - and have been totally amazed at how inclusive they (we) are. I've had a tiny input into the Lib Dem manifesto, as has every other member of the party who wanted to; we were asked to put forward options, then rank them in order of importance/desirability, in a very interesting way - is policy A more or less desirable than Policy B? What about if it were combined with Policy C? type thing. It required some real head-scratching on some of them! But as a result, I feel that the Lib Dem manifesto is not only as good as it can be, with solid buy-in from everyone, but that it represents the broadest possible input. A most interesting process, and a solid result.
www.libdems.org.uk/issues

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 10:25:30

annie I think what dot is saying that the manifesto will be decided by the LP - over the next few weeks. We know that Trident will be supported by the LP we also know that Corbyn does not agree with Trident. But he isn't alone. There are millions who would agree with his judgement in this including many Tories.

For the rest of the manifesto Corbyn will as leader have to support it. He will have to conform.

I think that is all she is saying.

But forget Corbyn - he isn't important - what is important will be the content of the manifesto and whether you can live with that. Many Labour MPs will be hoping for yours and other members support in their fight to rid us of this troublesome government.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 10:29:10

moxeyns

If I can I am hoping to outline all the political parties manifestos etc so can I use some of that stuff please on say a Lib Dem thread?

I want to do the same for a Labour thread and a Tory thread. Although if anyone considers that I will be too biased they are welcome to do it themselves if they feel inclined.

Other political parties are welcome to take part!grin

NikkiW Tue 25-Apr-17 10:31:18

I haven't read all the comments, but to help you then maybe you could try this questionnaire to see where your side.
uk.isidewith.com/en/political-quiz

I have always voted Conservative, but this time I'm with Labour. I like Corbyn, I think he's working hard, he's passionate, but most importantly I like his policies.
I cannot stand may, I hate what the cons are doing to the UK, and I don't believe we should make the election about Brexit, though I know probably 80% of it is. We are leaving already, the cons made that happen and although I voted to remain I think it would divide the UK even more to turn it around. But I don't want a hard Brexit like the tories are intending.

The amount of spin and bile about Corbyn is quite honestly disgusting, and I think we should ALL be voting on policies NOT personalities.

Have you seen may rallying her troops? She has nothing on Corbyn, no wonder she doesn't want to be televised and be caught on the hop, all she can manage is scripted speeches, she is so fake and unfortunately I see her as a fall guy for Brexit Britain.
I don't envy any party having to clear up this mess the tories got us into.

Shelagh6 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:35:09

At this stage I would suggest if you feel you have to vote - vote Green - stupid because it's not going anywhere but if you think it sensible to help Theresa May - vote Tory. You must understand we are leaving Europe - please make it easy for her to get a decent deal.

blueskies Tue 25-Apr-17 10:36:20

There are Leaders and there are Leaders. Hitler was a Leader. So was Mussolini. I have known Jeremy Corbyn for over thirty years. I would trust him with my life and no one, no one, can buy him.

NameChange2016 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:36:34

I think the most important issue is the NHS. As we all get older I get more and more worried about the NHS. There is all the stealth privatisation like in the Bath area of Somerset where Virgin Health Care now owns it and can do what it likes. So I think a vote for the Tories this time will be the end of the NHS.

NikkiW Tue 25-Apr-17 10:36:41

You might also be interested to see that Corbyn has a lot more support than we are being told by the 'tory' polls
This poll was held between the 19th - 24th April, Corbyn stayed consistently around the 65% mark throughout.
And remember the YouGov poll which has may with 48% of the vote only polled 1.7k people, whereas this poll had 165.4k of people voting.
www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-topics/poll-who-do-you-want-to-be-the-next-prime-minister

Jaycee5 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:38:43

NikkiW Totally agree. When people are shown Corbyn's policies a very high proportion agree with them. People are so easily persuaded by the media (which has a vested interest in not having their tax arrangement interfered with).

daphnedill I noticed a post a while ago by someone whose seriously ill husband was going through the assessment process. The feigned sympathy from people who have previously posted 'scrounger' comments whenever the subject came up was sickening.

It is hard to believe that so many people care so little about how the disabled and the least fortunate are being treated and the sell off of the NHS. People now voluntarily give blood to a company that now makes profit from it. You have to wonder how vicious a government has to be before people will care. Unfortunately for many it is only after they or their own relatives are affected.

NikkiW Tue 25-Apr-17 10:39:52

Yes we're going to lose the NHS for sure under tories sad
We should support our nurses and dr's and get rid of the noose around the NHS.

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 10:45:29

Although I think it is very likely that we will leave the EU, it is not the case that we must accept that it is now inevitable. Remember that Article 50 CAN be revoked and other EU countries would like us to stay.

We should not give up. Electing the maximum numbers of Remain MPs is our best hope.

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 10:45:35

Coco

I think you are making things up.

Corbyn's expenses £9 , how on earth could he run an office and research alone on £9.?

Laura Kuensberg is not a straight forward case either. The BBC Trust were at odds with the BBC :-

www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/18/bbc-trust-says-laura-kuenssberg-report-on-jeremy-corbyn-was-inaccurate-labour

'In its finding the Trust also said that there was no evidence of bias or of intent on the part of the senior BBC journalist, however.

James Harding, the director of BBC news, rejected the Trust’s ruling and called Kuenssberg “an outstanding journalist and political editor with the utmost integrity and professionalism”.

“While we respect the Trust and the people who work there, we disagree with this finding,” he said. “BBC News reported on the leader of the opposition in the same way it would any other politician.

“It is striking that the Trust itself said there was ‘no evidence of bias’. Indeed, it also said the news report was ‘compiled in good faith’.

“The process is now concluded and BBC News formally notes the Trust’s finding.”

One BBC source said the ruling, possibly the last on a major issue for the soon-to-be disbanded regulator, had caused “lots of consternation in the newsroom”.

The BBC had published the entire transcript of the interview earlier the same day, which, it had argued, made the context clear. The added that the complaint had been rejected on four separate occasions before the Trust’s final ruling."

Corbyn does not claim for a Second Home because his Main Home is in Islington being a London MP. Had he gained the Islington Seat whilst living out of area he would no doubt claim expenses for a second home but as far as I am aware he does not own a second home.

He may use public transport, as others do,however he is seen to be picked by car on official business and if he became Prime Minister I don't think he will use Public Transport , do you?

rosesarered Tue 25-Apr-17 10:46:19

Well, Corbyn has a small fan base on here, and within Labour Party members, but not with the great majority of Labour voters
So, hard to see how they could do well. Also Brexit matters hugely in this election,
So will have an effect.

M0nica Tue 25-Apr-17 10:56:30

If someone doesn't want to vote Labour because they do not like Corbyn, that is their decision. Take it as taken. The question on this thread is: who else should she vote for?

My personal recommendation would be Lib Dem, though obviously that poses problems if you voted for Brexit. The Green party would also be a reasonable alternative. If you supported Brexit UKIP might not be completely beyond the pale.

If I was very undecided I would watch the polls, locally and nationally, and then vote for the opponent you find least repugnant and who stands no chance of winning the seat in your constituency and where a vote for that party nationally is not likely add to a a national vote whose size might have national significance.

If all else fails spoil your voting paper. I have done that in both the police commissioner elections. It means that you have gone to the poll, got a voting paper, given the matter much thought and voted 'none of the above'

Blinko Tue 25-Apr-17 10:56:38

NikkiW thanks for the link with 'isidewith' Most interesting way to find out fairly quickly which party your views currently coincide with. Like it!

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 10:58:03

annie would you be willing to help do a Labour page with manifesto points etc as you will get all the stuff and information? It doesn't matter if not it's just I would appreciate your knowledge.

I notice that personalities seem more important to the Tories voter than policies. Perhaps they don't think that the policies will stand up to scrutiny?

minxie Tue 25-Apr-17 11:03:18

When the manifesto comes out get one from each of the parties. Also if you voted out for brexit then labour don't want out but conservative do. Liberals who knows. I always voted liberal but as far as I'm concerned they are a non party. Sometimes you need to tactical vote to. Vioting labour in my town is a wasted vote as they never have a cats hell in getting in here. I've never voted conservative but I've been impressed with Teresa may. It's a difficult one really as only one party seems to have anything about them, which is worrying

NikkiW Tue 25-Apr-17 11:05:30

LilyFlower you might find this interesting reading about JC's dubious connections...

www.opendemocracy.net/luke-davies/re-examining-corbyns-dangerous-friendships

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 11:28:55

Whitewave, we have to accept the fact there are voters who do vote for a leaders personality . Milliband and his nasal voice didn't affect my vote, it did put some off him. Michael Foot's massive loss was mainly he was too far left but the jacket he wore at the cenotaph did cause some to dismiss him. Kinnock moved from the far left and had a very steep climb to win back lost seats, that we was Welsh cost him votes. We live in a world where celebrity is so important.

Yorkshiregel Tue 25-Apr-17 11:32:16

Vote with your children in mind. After all it is their future you are voting for. No use clinging to the hope that Brexit could be revoked. We have gone past that point now. Vote for what in your view is the best thing for the country. Not much choice I agree, however even though I have never voted conservative before, I think Mrs May is by far the stronger of all the candidates so my vote will go to her this time. That does not mean that I am conservative through and through but there is no-one else I would trust at the moment. I like Corbyn but he is running his own agenda and not doing what the Labour Party would have him do. Which is wrong imo. He also has some very way out ideas such as getting rid of Trident which I feel we need to keep. Also although I agree with free education for our children, more money for the NHS, ring fenced pensions and all the other 'goodies' he is offering in order to get votes, I do not know, and I think he does not know either, where the money would come from.

Grampie Tue 25-Apr-17 11:33:48

Vote for the party that will get the best deal with the EU (now that we're losing the four freedoms) and with the rest of the world.

Remainers are resigned to this and it's not a U-turn as some have said.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 11:38:22

Until we know what deal is being negotiated we can't possibly know who to vote for re Brexit.

But what we can vote for is the surety that our political representatives can speak on our behalf with regard to Brexit and its impact on jobs, the economy, businesses, environment and our rights.

What we must ensure against is giving May a blank cheque that is probably one of the most anti- democratic proposals ever.

blueskies Tue 25-Apr-17 11:41:47

When quoting the results of any poll do a little research and find out who owns them.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 11:44:57

annie I am sure you are correct that some people vote for the person not the policies. But if we give a thread to each party and outline their policies cutting out all the flim flam at least it will give people the opportunity if they are going to vote for personality to know what they are ACTUALLY voting for.